Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #16

Original Poster
Not sure if this forum allows links to YouTube videos but found this k-5 waterproofing effectiveness demonstration.

Last edited by lowlight; 02-21-2011 at 02:59 PM.
04-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lowlight Quote
Well, the animals themselves don't have to be perfectly shot, it's more the movements so it could be just a blur or a set of indistinct points across the image. I know it sounds an unusual requirement. However, I would also like to do shorter exposures (e.g 30 seconds or a minute) to capture animals staying still in very dark conditions, so interested in how the camera performs for these types of photos.
Don't forget that the K5 can be set to do Interval shooting where you can set the camera up for 24 hours maximum cycle. I've only used my K5 for about 3 weeks now but very excited about it. Was on the Seattle waterfront 1 week ago in a rainstorm. used the K5 in the rain with the 50-135, the only WR lens i have. got some marvelous shots because there was some fog that hung in there with the rain.

Last night, i walked an old iron bridge at 9 PM at night. A few days before i was in a darkened theatre shooting a technical meeting for an upcoming play. What others haven't mentioned is the quiet shutter which i think would be very useful for wildlife.

best wishes for your new K5 :-)
04-09-2011, 05:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA* lenses are supposed to have better sealing, so if you are concerned about being caught in a rain I would get the 50-135 or the 60-250. I have both and they are to die for lenses. The 2.8 on the 50-135 might be useful to you, but it will cause DOF issues if the animal is moving during an extended shot. The 60-250 is f4, but I have done several low light shots indoors and I have never had a problem there. The ISO capabilities of the K5 more than make up for the difference in aperture.
04-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lowlight Quote
Well, the animals themselves don't have to be perfectly shot, it's more the movements so it could be just a blur or a set of indistinct points across the image. I know it sounds an unusual requirement. However, I would also like to do shorter exposures (e.g 30 seconds or a minute) to capture animals staying still in very dark conditions, so interested in how the camera performs for these types of photos.
Also do explore the K-5's Interval Shooting capability and the very low shutter noise of the K-5 will work for you here as well.

Greetings

04-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice regarding lenses, low shutter noise and the interval shooting option. When the camera is programmed for automated time lapse does it power down completely in between shots? Just thinking about the battery. For example , if I set it to take a shot every 15 minutes would it switch itself off between shots? Perhaps it goes into a low power consumption sleep mode. I understand the interval can be programmed between 1 second and 24 hours, and the number of shots between 1 and 999. Also wondering if the camera activates AF each time it is 're-awakened' for the next shot. Thanks again.