Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Same here but....

I had my first body replaced because of a 'string of pearls' which could not be moved by the blower (of course).

On my replacement body, I have also seen small spots with the 'halo' move around/disappear in response to the blower just yesterday.

In short, I am sure that these halo'd spots are not necessarily stains just because they have the halo.

02-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thomas Backa Quote
100% crop from a ISO80 f/22 shot of the sky today. Good news is that those three specks are visible on the sensor. Bad news is that they don't come off with a blower.

Hi Thomas,

I've used these on my K10D after the sticky rubber particles got sprayed on its sensor.
SENSOR CLEANING SYSTEM: GREEN CLEAN for fine technics

Worked simple and great!
It is a pity the specs are there, but it is not a real problem to get rid of them.

Bert
02-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Hi Thomas,

I've used these on my K10D after the sticky rubber particles got sprayed on its sensor.
SENSOR CLEANING SYSTEM: GREEN CLEAN for fine technics

Worked simple and great!
It is a pity the specs are there, but it is not a real problem to get rid of them.

Bert
I haven't tried any other cleaning methods yet since the specks are barely visible against a blue sky at f/8. I'll probably get something like that any week now...
02-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would think it is more likely to see dust at f22 on any digital slr than not. It seems the sensor stain thing has everybody checking their cameras and surprised to find dust. The last used body I got back in nov. was really bad, and the blower didn't do squat. I tried some swabs that came 3 in a pack with some safe to ship fluid and they didn't work well either. I wound up using some lab grade methanol I had and wrapped the crappy swab with a lint free lab wipe (the kind you would clean a slide with) and it worked much better. I must have swabbed 6-10 times (new wipe each time) over a couple sessions using the blower after swabbing, until it was spotless. I figure a smoker probably owned it before me. I checked my other cameras for the heck of it after that and they were dirty too, fact of life I guess.

02-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #20
Forum Member

My K-5 had spots with halos and I sent it in thinking they were stains. CRIS cleaned the sensor and now it is pristine. But I live in a house with a dog and very dry air in the winter and that is not good for sensors. So I bought a wet swab kit with solution and learned to use it. Now my ist DS, K10D and K20D have pristine sensors too...at least for a few days. My wife thinks I am anal. (She's right.)
02-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #21

My K-5 had several spots appearing in high aperture no. images surrounded by halos, supposedly typical of the stain, so I sent it to the Australian Pentax distributors (C R Kennedy). Phoned them the other day to see how it was going and they advised that it wasn't the stain, just dust on the sensor. They are doing a sensor clean and I should have it back in the next few days. Hopefully all will be good!
So were new K-5s distributed with dust or other rubbish on the sensors? I know with mine, even though I did change lenses, I was very careful each time.
02-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoffR Quote
My K-5 had several spots appearing in high aperture no. images surrounded by halos, supposedly typical of the stain, so I sent it to the Australian Pentax distributors (C R Kennedy). Phoned them the other day to see how it was going and they advised that it wasn't the stain, just dust on the sensor. They are doing a sensor clean and I should have it back in the next few days. Hopefully all will be good!
So were new K-5s distributed with dust or other rubbish on the sensors? I know with mine, even though I did change lenses, I was very careful each time.
I remember the first time I took out my k20d when I first got it. I tried the live view because it was a new feature and there was a spot so big it was visible on the lcd screen! I was pretty let down with my new toy and it took some vigorous rocket blowing to get it off. I will say the dust alert feature is really cool.