Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can find the thread that relates to this shot...by a wedding shooter that sent back this K5 and two others. I can only tell you that this animal, whatever it is, if ever married would not want a K5 doing the honors.
The documentation by Falc is pretty thorough and pretty convincing unless you have your contradictory witness available? Do you?
Regards!

[IMG] [/IMG]

03-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #32

Re: "Unacceptable" high ISO ratings

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yes, most definitely a typo. These guys get pretty sloppy sometimes. Regardless, I have seen some very nicely done 6400 K5 shots...and even 12,800 that were fully usable, at least they would be for me.
Regards
(I'm responding before reading all the posts so maybe this has already been covered.)

POP mentions in the article that Pentax uses some of the lowest NR of any camera brands, and that when they ventured past the default setting, they got acceptable ISO 6400 results. It goes to show that hardly any reviews will be able to tell you what you can really achieve with a camera. They seldom go beyond the default settings, and many times the results are based on JPEG output. That's why we should all be glad for internet forum sites that yield more thorough and detailed analysis.

Michael
03-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I just want the K-5's Low light front focussing fault fixed.
Did I mention that it's quite possible there will never be a fix for this problem on this body? It's just as likely at this point that Pentax tried to come up with a fix, couldn't and are working to get it fixed on the next release.

That is one brutal looking image Rupert. I'll look for the thread. With an image like this exif information is always nice.
03-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
(I'm responding before reading all the posts so maybe this has already been covered.)

POP mentions in the article that Pentax uses some of the lowest NR of any camera brands, and that when they ventured past the default setting, they got acceptable ISO 6400 results. It goes to show that hardly any reviews will be able to tell you what you can really achieve with a camera. They seldom go beyond the default settings, and many times the results are based on JPEG output. That's why we should all be glad for internet forum sites that yield more thorough and detailed analysis.

Michael
You are so right, and although I appreciate the Reviews in the magazines and on various sites, the real world shooters like we see here are more likely to use the settings that match the camera makers specifications and not some default settings used by reviewers. This cuts both ways, where I think Pentax has often been cheated by reviewers using lenses that were not a proper or fair comparison to those used on the competition.

Again, here we can evaluate the posted shots, the lens, the shooter, and ask questions if needed.....in a Review that is not possible.
Best Regards

03-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
How judicious? I typed "K-5 wedding" and got one guy raving about how the daynamic range should be fantastic for weddings, and this guy..

Field Review: The Pentax K-5 (Day 3) at The Phoblographer

Now you're going to say I'm not "judicious", I know how this works.

So, I have my witness wedding photographer... your witness counsel.
This may not be judicious, but as someone who does shoot weddings from time to time (Gawd I hope I'm done with them though), the K5 as a wedding cam is just fine.
I don't have experience with other makers AF, so I can only talk about Pentax.
AF with a wide aperture has always been a bit of a fail with Pentax AFAIAC.
I've had every Pentax AF camera that I've used on AF foul up the focus at some point.
Some stuff is dependent on the camera taking the picture when you push the button, not at some point in the future when the camera figures the time is right.
Wedding photography is like that.
AF will fail.
Zone focusing will not.

For myself, and please take this as just an opinion from a guy who has been shooting weddings since 1971.....
If you are depending on AF for good wedding pictures, you are doomed to fail.
LEARN TO FOCUS
03-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Rupert, I can't find anything on A Reid nor can I prove that the image you posted was taken with a k5 or any other camera. But I can tell he has attitude. That is not a a typical K5 shot. I don't think you actually have a witness there. I also pointed out falc said you may or may not have the issue. It's convincing or it's not. can you force a k5 to front focus? Was that the question? Falc's work made me wonder , can you force any camera to front focus,? or just K5's? It's good research as far as I can tell, just not complete enough to decide what it means, from my perspective.

Last edited by normhead; 03-04-2011 at 08:14 PM.
03-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Did I mention that it's quite possible there will never be a fix for this problem on this body? It's just as likely at this point that Pentax tried to come up with a fix, couldn't and are working to get it fixed on the next release.
No, but there's no need. We are already well aware of the speculations surrounding this fault.

03-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
No, but there's no need. We are already well aware of the speculations surrounding this fault.
OK then, I won't mention that.
03-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #39

The fact that you assume a wedding photographer would have issues doesn't mean it would be true.
Most of the wedding photographers I have known preferred medium format cameras, so yes, they would be unhappy with the K-5 for any number of reasons. But they wouldn't buy this sensor size to start with so it wouldn't be an issue.
I think your perception is not that accurate anymore. I think a lot of weddings are being shot on APS-C sensors and this has created downward pressure on wedding photographers prices. (We won't discuss the effects this has had on quality in this thread.) I sometimes work as a second shooter for a wedding photography company and I am handed a Canon 50D to shoot with. I can say without reservation that if you intend to shoot weddings with Canon cameras you damn well better buy the Mark 5d or at least the 7d. Anything from Canon that has two digits does not produce results that are as satisfactory as my K20D with Limited primes, IMO.

And if you are a Pentax shooter trying to make it in the wedding photography arena, exhibit A here, you are both excited and appalled by what is being reported about the K5. If the camera performs up to its specs, Pentax shooters will have the functionality that approaches the heralded Mark 5d's, and can shoot weddings with confidence. If, on the other hand, the focus and flash issues are valid, then short of devising a work around, what are the options for an aspiring wedding photographer with a bunch of Pentax lenses?

Michael
03-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Normhead, I found the post by Al for you. I won't comment much further, you can read his evaluation. I will say that I know Al as a qualified and experienced shooter of long standing with Pentax gear.
Like many of us, he saw the K5 as a perfect camera for portraits, weddings, etc, but after three K5's he gave up for the time being. From Falc's report and various reports from Pentax technicians ( not verified ) it would appear that this affects all K5's, but to what degree is debatable.
I read somewhere here yesterday of a K7 user that reports he has the same FF problem, which is intriguing, since this is not a reported problem with the K7, in fact quite the opposite. I am wondering if this could mean that his K7 has a "quirk" that is in the K5's in large numbers but not in K7's...which might mean a more simple repair? If so it seems we would already have a repair, but maybe it is not that simple? Maybe the K7owner has a hardware problem that was rare in the K7 but common in the K5? We could compare the sensor problem and see how it could be possible that a faulty hardware part could indeed slip by in a lot of K5's....maybe all of them? Just speculation on my part, but no matter what the outcome, I hope we do learn the source of this problem and are not left in the dark.

BTW- Al says the "animal" is a wolf whose snout broke off? Looks like a cat to me, but whatever, it should not affect his credibility as a fine shooter! LOL!
Best Regards

NOTE: Just discovered I was so busy running my big mouth I left out the link. Sorry!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/128562-relevant-news-re-...-light-28.html

Last edited by Rupert; 03-05-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Add link
03-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I'm going to ask Pentax UK directly tomorrow at the Focus on Imaging show in Birmingham, UK