Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Dust removal ultrasonic vibrations

I came from Olympus cameras to my pentax K5, specifically the e620 and prior to that the 520, and E1. My question to the long standing Pentaxians is this, why did my Olympus dust removal system wipe the floor with what's in my K5. I used those cameras regularly in every conceivable place and never once did I spot dust on my sensor.

I would also point out that I was not obsessive about removal of lenses, switching off, tipping forward changing in a safe environment etc.

This is the second body I have had the original was covered in stains so was replaced, I'm just so fed up with seeing dust spots on the sensor, I have been far more careful with lens removal/replacement than I ever was with my Olympus, it seems to me that the dust removal just doesn't work!

Am I alone in noticing this ? Am I expecting too much? Is the pentax version of this just crap? I hate to say this but I'm regretting my decision to switch brands, I love the K5 and the old SMC glass, the images are wonderful and it really is a stunning camera, I really deliberated long and hard before making the switch and chose because it ticked all my boxes.

Assuming it is the norm what do you recommend for dust removal, I am a complete novice regarding this as to reiterate my Olympus bodies never had a problem with this.

02-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interestingly I used to get dust spots on my K20D regularly.

In constrast my K05 has never needed a clean and I change lenses a lot.

For cleaning I wet clean with swabs and fliud.
02-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by myeates Quote
Assuming it is the norm what do you recommend for dust removal, I am a complete novice regarding this as to reiterate my Olympus bodies never had a problem with this.
Giotto Rocket Blower. Turn off the camera when changing lenses - made the biggest difference for me.
02-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Recommandation : Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit

02-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never had a dust issue with my Pentaxes.
I presume you have dust removal on start up enabled?
Perhaps you should stop wiping the floor with them....
02-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Olympus was the 1st to offer & master dust removal. Nobody else does it better than Olympus afaik. Canon offers this feature too, while it is said not as effective as Olympus, at least I cannot feel a thing when it's doing its work. The Pentax on the other hand, is rather brutal, almost feels like one was trying to dust off his glasses by hitting it against the table. How effective can it be? Then again, I feel the dust issue is not so big that one's purchase decision is based on.
02-23-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

K-5 has no feeling of shake when its doing its dust removal, and it defaults to being on at start up... K20d and K-x felt like earth quakes

Put your ear to the camera and you can hear a very high pitched whine when it does it, if your ears can hear that high up the frequencies.

02-23-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Ei pöly ongelmia, käytän hyvää hilse samppoota.
02-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello all,when I first got my K10 I too had a lot of dust showing up on the sensor I was a bit puzzled to say the least until someone said when you change lenses turned off the camera. From then on I have had nearly 0 problems with dust. The dust removal on the K7 and K5 are very quiet, but make sure you have it enabled for every startup.With a good quality blower there should not be a problem. I still own my K10 which I use mostly for macro shots because of its great colors and have never had to wet clean it yet.
02-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
Inactive Account

on sammy gx20(dont know if k20d too), the dust removal feature feel like you shot 24fps..

if you use it on startup feature, it feels like shooting 3fps, but if you do it via menu, it feel like machine gun..

btw, where did you look the dust?
02-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Olympus was the 1st to offer & master dust removal. Nobody else does it better than Olympus afaik. Canon offers this feature too, while it is said not as effective as Olympus, at least I cannot feel a thing when it's doing its work. The Pentax on the other hand, is rather brutal, almost feels like one was trying to dust off his glasses by hitting it against the table. How effective can it be? Then again, I feel the dust issue is not so big that one's purchase decision is based on.
I never really found the K10/K20 dust removal to be terribly effective, and the aesthetics of it were really poor, but the K7 is good and the K5 seems better so far.
02-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the reason why turning off the camera for a lens change reduces dust on the sensor?

I always do that anyway, but it doesn't make sense to me because power on/off has no effect on mirror position. Maybe electrical charge in the sensor attracting dust?
02-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Maybe electrical charge in the sensor attracting dust?
Yes, that.
02-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the sensible replies, I to have come to the conclusion that the dust removal is a poor second to that of Olympus. I will learn to live with it as the rest of the camera is simply wonderful.

The biggest selling point for me was the choice of lenses and the comparative low price when compared to those of the Olympus.

Shopping list will include the rocket blower and a wet clean kit, why are they so expensive? does anybody out there have any advice as to those to avoid?
02-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Sensor Cleaning Kit
39357 Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1

I hear it is better than wet cleaning