Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by merengue Quote
Does anyone know the difference between Extreme Pros SanDisk SDSDXP1-008G-A75 and SanDisk SDSDXP1-008G-X46? Both have similiar description and look the same. SanDisk only has the A75 in their web page.

Earl
Mine is the SDSDXP1-016G-X46

Hmm, maybe the X46 is inferior to the A75? Counterfeit? Early production run with inferior performance? Hence being sold at a cheaper price than the Extreme?

03-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #32
Rin
Forum Member

the memory stick works in the K5, i am currently using it, but i did not test the speed of the card. didnt had my K5 for 2 months because of the swapping for a nons tained camera so it is hard to remember how the 30mbs card faired in comparison.
03-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
So why did you buy a camera that can do more than 10 images in a row?
That's not why I bought the camera

And Jimfear, I know people have different ways of doing things. That is why I am sincerely asking why. I would imagine if you were shooting sports it might come in handy. But even then I wouldn't think you'd be maxing out the buffer that often. So I am asking for some real world situations where this extremely expensive card would be worth it.
03-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
So I am asking for some real world situations where this extremely expensive card would be worth it.
My take on it - I use it fairly extensively to capture anything that's moving - shooting wildlife and sports are two classic examples.

As for filling the buffer - I try to use it in bursts, to allow time for the buffer to empty between bursts, but I often fill the buffer, and then the camera locks out until the buffer is (partially) clear. I have missed quite a few shots waiting for the buffer to clear.

I also use it for shooting people, especially my young nephew (2 years old). It's amazing how the expression changes completely from shot to shot.

I've even used it shooting flowers in the wind - again it's interesting to see how each shot differs.

So I'm probably guilty of over-using it - I can sometimes fill an entire card in a few minutes!

03-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
So I'm probably guilty of over-using it - I can sometimes fill an entire card in a few minutes!
How is your shuttercount? I thought I was using my K-5 a lot, but not that much as you I guess.
03-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
How is your shuttercount? I thought I was using my K-5 a lot, but not that much as you I guess.
Not as high as I would have liked. I took several cards worth at the zoo when I first bought the K-5 about a month ago (that's when I discovered how much difference the Extreme made when a friend lent me his card)

Also took several cards worth at the Chinese New Year festival hosted by my local council.

But lately all my shots have been singles because I've been playing around with manual focus lenses.

This Sun I'm attending a Pentax workshop in Sydney (along with another forum member - NicoleAu - she's the one who told me about it) so I'm looking forward to using continuous mode if there is an opportunity.
03-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #37
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, I use a 8GB version of the Extreme Pro, and another 8GB of the Extreme kind. See no difference in performance (speed). Yet, the Extreme Pro was 10% cheaper, so I'm happy with it

03-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've retried the test in Firmware 1.03 to see if there are any speed improvements for the Extreme Pro.

Sadly, no.

If anything, it seems slightly slower - it now takes 26 seconds to clear a full buffer (for both Extreme and Extreme Pro).
03-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #39
Banned

I've retried the test in Firmware 1.03 to see if there are any speed improvements for the Extreme Pro.

Sadly, no.

If anything, it seems slightly slower - it now takes 26 seconds to clear a full buffer (for both Extreme and Extreme Pro).
Maybe it is time to messure it correctly, since you don't know the number of pictures nor the filesize and both of them can vary making the few seconds diffence.
03-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Does anyone know if this UHS-I mode requires some hardware modifications or is it implemented purely in firmware?
I believe that the 4-bit mode on the bus is implemented in both hardware and software on both devices.

IIRC, the K-5 will support SDXC and exFAT, meaning large file sizes/systems, but will not support the higher speeds that require the new bus architecture.

If you'd like, you can find some photos that show the additional pins required for, at least, UHS-2. It's an additional electrical interface on the other side of the card.

There's just so much that can be done in firmware
03-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Without discounting your observations, I think it may be worth pointing-out that tests such as data write times etc. are subject to deviations based on shooting conditions, camera settings so on and so forth.

ie. slightly less light and/or subject matter can or will affect individual file sizes which could(in turn) affect the overall frame capacity of the running buffer space, etc etc.

Having said that, I'll test my own unit tomorrow night with the older firmware and see how it performs under a controlled setting. Not that I'm too(too) concerned with write times, though it guess is couldn't hurt to add another opinion on the matter.
03-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #42
Banned

Would you please look at http://https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/128924-writespeed...card-test.html and if possible do the test inside your K-5 and see what writespeed is possible in camera?

Originally posted by RonHendriks1966
RAW:
- At iso 5000 files are uge, almost 30 Mb for a single file with no (hood) cap on. In 15 sec. the camera took 31 RAW that where 920 Mb and after 52 seconds the red light was out, giving a filewrite off 17,7 MB/s including all processing. In 60 seconds the K-5 took 58 RAW giving 1,736 Gb of filesspace to fill. The difference of 27 files giving 816 MB to write in 45 seconds -> 18,1 Mb/s

I think that is the limitation of the K-5 or my card or the combination. The card is a classe 10 32Gb PQ1 card, and writemax according to the manufacture is 24,5 Mb/s (for what it's word since I haven't tested it myself) with 30 Mb/s readspeed.
Basicly it's about creating more file-body then the camera can digest so you can see the difference between processor speed to process and writespeed to the card.
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
IIRC, the K-5 will support SDXC and exFAT, meaning large file sizes/systems, but will not support the higher speeds that require the new bus architecture.
Does this mean that with moviemode you can actually run longer clips with FullHD and 3-star quality? For this not only switch to moviemode but please actually press the release button and start the movierecording and see if it run's more then 5 minute 23 secons.

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Having said that, I'll test my own unit tomorrow night with the older firmware and see how it performs under a controlled setting. Not that I'm too(too) concerned with write times, though it guess is couldn't hurt to add another opinion on the matter.
Well thanks, and maybe someone could just run the test I wrote about and just messure filesize and timing creating the full buffer and look at writespeed.
03-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Sandisk Extreme Pro 8GB USD $34

with free domestic (US) shipping from buydig.com. Reported on dealnews - I pulled the trigger in case my next camera could use the extra speed.

Reportedly Sandisk part SDSDXP1-008G-A75, UHS-1.

Automatically levels your photos and compensates for coriolis skewing and continental drift. But then my Extreme III took care of the latter two anyway.
03-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #44
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Seriously overkill for normal photo taking but definitely handy if you shoot video a lot.
Actually it was dirt cheap for a while. Amazon had a deal on them for weeks at about 1/2 price. Cheaper than most Class 10 cards. I have 2 SanDisk Extreme Pro cards, and they're disgustingly fast on a K-5. It's like night/day compared to my old Patriot Class 10 card.
03-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I set my camera to 7 fps too but while I can understand the advantage of a quicker card (I use the Sandisk Extreme III) I've never needed to blaze away more than a half dozen frames at a go at a time.
Totally missing the point. The faster card allows for near-instant review on the LCD screen. It's amazing, the picture is there before I have a chance to take the camera away from my eye.