Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Claims that factory reset "cures" FF issues

A few users on the other forum have excitedly claimed that performing a factory reset cures the FF problem and, likewise, the need for condition-based lens microadjustment.

Honestly this sounds dubious but I don't have my camera with me right now to test.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

03-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
has anyone contacted pentax hoya regarding this potential fix? sounds so simple.... the heavens would open and the sun would shine down upon us if this were to be accurate....
is your k-5 currently as cris for repair?
i really want the k-5, and hope this issue will be resolved sooner than later... dave m
03-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, I'm at work and don't have my camera. Otherwise, I'd immediately test.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
is your k-5 currently as cris for repair?
03-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #4

doesn't cost much to try ... will check tonight.

Thanks.

03-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm subscribing to this thread because it will be interesting to see what people come up with!
03-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #6

Complete rubbish. Doesn't work. It's not April 1st is it....?
03-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I know the poster, I wouldn't even waste my time, but that's just me. Anyhow, would you want to shoot forever with the default setting? I didn't think so!

A real fix will be along soon, we are assured, and we can visit clowns at the circus, not at DPR.
Regards

03-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Seems like Pentax would have been the first to offer this as a solution if it worked. Seems too easy, fingers crossed anyways!
03-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
A few users on the other forum have excitedly claimed that performing a factory reset cures the FF problem and, likewise, the need for condition-based lens microadjustment
Link?
03-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

might this be the (missing) link ??

"Reset" solves the K-5 focusing problems ??!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

just started to meander through the postings there... dave m

update.. from that thread/post

What can i say ? I had 2 issues with my K5,low light AF,more so under orange color sodium vapor street lights,along with AWB not correcting the ugly orange cast of this type of lighting and similar.

I did the reset,first time on any of the 4 Pentax i have owned.Frankly i did it just out of curiosity.Guess what ? Problems solved !

We keep forgetting that we carry around a computer with a lens attached that takes stills and now video.Makes sense after a firmware update to do a reset.Highly Recommended !

Cheers all ......

NOT !!!... another response...http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=37869406
03-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Look, I said in my original post that it sounded dubious and I still think it is. But regardless, there is no harm in posting. If a single forum member's problem is resolved or ameliorated then it's worthwhile. Should make for interesting reading nonetheless.

Sidebar: I was under the impression that there was an issue linking to DPR. Perhaps I got it wrong..
03-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The entire thread here

The starter thread here
03-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's my result from a quick test.

AF Fine adjustment turned on but with the adjustment parameter set to 0:

AF Fine adjustment turned off:

So it seems turning the AF fine adjustment on and off does impact the issue.
03-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #14

Well there's the thought that simply doing the reset works (before or after FW update)

The thought that the reset should be done before the FW update, logic being that Pentax develops/tests their FW updates against a standard known condition which would be the default state. Any user modifications could have inadvertently set some parameter that causes an unforeseen bug in the AF.

If a reset is all it takes then basically there is no real need for a 1.03 FW update so how is it there is all this word from inside reliable sources that there is an update to fix the AF issue.

Falk where are you? heeelllppp!
03-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Just tried the reset, didn't work for me. The FF is still there and as bad (even if I set the AF adjustment to off)