Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Question about the AF/AF-C/MF switch

I received my replacement K5 past week and now i am a bit curious if everything is all right ofcourse. I was wondering is it normal that the Focus switch makes a click when switching from MF to AF-C. while switching from AF-C to AFS or from AF-C to MF doesnt click like that. You can feel the click, it is not the same as the feel that the switch locks in position for the mode you select. It is audible from MF to AF-C only.

It maybe sounds like nitpicking and i didn't notice it before. Just a little bit worried that maybe the switch will give problems in the future.

03-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine is very soft, FWIW.
It seems to work.
Go out and take some pictures.
You worry too much.
03-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Switching from MF to AF-C physically moves the screw drive n and out of contact with the socket on the lens
03-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rin Quote
I received my replacement K5 past week and now i am a bit curious if everything is all right ofcourse. I was wondering is it normal that the Focus switch makes a click when switching from MF to AF-C. while switching from AF-C to AFS or from AF-C to MF doesnt click like that. You can feel the click, it is not the same as the feel that the switch locks in position for the mode you select. It is audible from MF to AF-C only.

It maybe sounds like nitpicking and i didn't notice it before. Just a little bit worried that maybe the switch will give problems in the future.
My K-5 makes the same noise. I wouldn't worry about it.

03-05-2011, 03:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Switching from MF to AF-C physically moves the screw drive n and out of contact with the socket on the lens

@ Rin
This is correct, on both K-7 and K-5.
No worries!
03-05-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 : the switch disengages the screw drive going to MF whereas going between AF.S and AF.C is probably just operating an electrical switch
03-05-2011, 05:26 AM   #7
Rin
Forum Member

Original Poster
yeah i know i worry too much but after 2 replacements i am super cautious but never noticed it before.

But this also happens when using a non screw drivelens? Because i only have lenses of that type.

03-05-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The lever operates to mechanically draw in / disengage the screw drive shaft when moved to MF so the difference in feel is most likely from that, you'd probably feel it just the same even with no lens mounted (in which case you can see it happening, BTW ).
03-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Rin
Forum Member

Original Poster
really never thought of that it that simple and obvious haha. i really was too worried.

thanks!
03-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-7 does the same, no worries!
03-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine does exactly the same - no problems, it works fine.
03-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The lens release button, when pressed, also retracts the screw drive into the body so you can twist the lens on and off without snagging it

Some people use this button as a quick AF disable
03-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
Rin
Forum Member

Original Poster
thats actually quite nice.

I feel stupid i overlooked something that simple, but was just worried after 2 faulty units that it was hard to believe that this one was all good. No i just hope not stains appear in time. I do not notice much of the focus issues either, calibrated my lenses and it just works.
03-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rin Quote
thats actually quite nice.

I feel stupid i overlooked something that simple, but was just worried after 2 faulty units that it was hard to believe that this one was all good. No i just hope not stains appear in time. I do not notice much of the focus issues either, calibrated my lenses and it just works.
The AF problem is about front focus in lowish tungsten light (<4 EV or so, something like f=2.8 t=1/50s iso=3200, with actual *tungsten* bulbs) . Other cameras suffer from this too, but it seems that in K-5s case the focus shift gets kind of extreme in comparision. The best guess as to what is going on would seem to be that the new and improved SAFOX+ somehow manages botch the compensation/correction that is meant to eliminate the common tungsten light problem so that things actually get much worse in these specific circumstances. Then again there are people who insist that their unit works fine even in low tungsten light which might mean that the problematic conditions have not been nailed down exactly.
03-06-2011, 05:56 AM   #15
Rin
Forum Member

Original Poster
i tested in low tungsten light, but i see small FF focus.

but difficult to test this since, there are differences in the color of tungsten as well.