Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope you enjoy the K5. IMHO all of the K5 images look better ,detail wise, than the 7D. You should never compare Jpgs though, just use RAW otherwise you have to consider the in camera processing etc.

03-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i still use both systems but i still love the pentax system if your using it in rough weather the cannon 7d stays packed away and the k5 pentax gets drenched and if it gets dirty i can run it to the sink and rinse it off something i would not do even with L glass with the cannon.
lumpy

the k5 is a great system but 7d still has better video so i have to have both and its kind of nice to have the choice of system but im torn the pentax wins out for me in the end its just built very well the seals on the canon look like sponge to me and i just cant trust them in the rain esp. the cf slot
03-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the image comparisons. I think these do a good job highlighting the dynamic range difference since there were some blown out portions on the fishing line in the 7D shot that the k5 was able to hold the detail on. I'm really impressed with the K5 from what I've seen.
03-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
Thanks for the image comparisons. I think these do a good job highlighting the dynamic range difference since there were some blown out portions on the fishing line in the 7D shot that the k5 was able to hold the detail on. I'm really impressed with the K5 from what I've seen.
I have been shooting the Canon 5D for years and I have tried to like the 7D. I keep waiting for Canon to step it up. The K-7/K-5 are just really good handling cameras with a very quiet/smooth shutter. The new K-5 might be good enough to replace my 5D. If the 85L was available in K-mount I would probably already be using one. I will have to wait and see so more Sigma 85mm reviews.

I get the feeling Canon intentionally limits their bodies to protect the sales of the 1D line. Pentax has no "pro" line to protect. They put it all in the K-5.

Pentax really needs to work on the lens line up. Bring back some serious glass line the FA* 85mm and an updated A*135 f/1.8. Keep them as screw drive lenses or offer a 5 year warranty on the SDM.

03-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would like to see them replace SDM after using Canons ring USM. The AF on K5 is more capable then the SDM motor which is holding it back.

I have been playing with this K5 all day. In the bright snow you can still get details in the shadows where the 7D is blowing out the snow for the shadows or exposing the snow but the shadow detail is lost. Pretty nice to see details in both and the DR at work.

Your correct that the 7D feels held back compared to the K5. It's a really nice camera that could have a lot more features. I think the lens motor is holding pentax back at this point. The 7D is slow if you don't have a fast lens motor. I would love to be able to put the 17-55 on the K5 and see the difference.

I like Pentax's mentality of the "whole kitchen sink" in the options they provide via the menu's. Much of it is very intuitive in practice as well.
03-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Hope you enjoy the K5. IMHO all of the K5 images look better ,detail wise, than the 7D. You should never compare Jpgs though, just use RAW otherwise you have to consider the in camera processing etc.
I'll add some RAW. Pretty impressive sensor on the K5.
03-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I will have to wait and see so more Sigma 85mm reviews.
I haven't seen many professional reviews, but most of the user base has been very pleased on Canon's photography on the net forum. The results come very close to the 85L for a fraction of the cost. Here's a sample thread. There are obviously some lame "test shots" but the real world results look quite good.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=886651

03-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #38
Veteran Member

@Lee Runge

How would you compare the ISO performance of the 7D and k5? One stop advantage to the K5 or more?

How would you compare the K5 AF-C autofocus performance to the 7D in single point AF mode?

I am considering a switch, but there are a few things that are holding me back.

1.) Canon 17-55 and 70-200 IS II are better optically (CA's, sharpness, disortion) than the Pentax 16-50 and 50-135. These are work horse lenses when I shoot events.

2.) No Pentax replacement for the 400L. I could get the Sigma 50-500 OS, but it is more expensive, heavier, and doesn't focus as fast. 400L is most likely sharper wide open as well.

3.) I shoot with a two body setup and would probably end up keeping one of my 40D's anyway so that I could get better autofocus than any of the older Pentax bodies would offer.

4.) I can get a 7D on the Canon Loyalty Program for $1067 (if I trade in a broken canon camera, which I can get for like $10 on ebay)
03-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Lee Runge

How would you compare the ISO performance of the 7D and k5? One stop advantage to the K5 or more?

How would you compare the K5 AF-C autofocus performance to the 7D in single point AF mode?

I am considering a switch, but there are a few things that are holding me back.

1.) Canon 17-55 and 70-200 IS II are better optically (CA's, sharpness, disortion) than the Pentax 16-50 and 50-135. These are work horse lenses when I shoot events.

2.) No Pentax replacement for the 400L. I could get the Sigma 50-500 OS, but it is more expensive, heavier, and doesn't focus as fast. 400L is most likely sharper wide open as well.

3.) I shoot with a two body setup and would probably end up keeping one of my 40D's anyway so that I could get better autofocus than any of the older Pentax bodies would offer.

4.) I can get a 7D on the Canon Loyalty Program for $1067 (if I trade in a broken canon camera, which I can get for like $10 on ebay)
1.I can't speak for the 70-200 IS but the 17-55 and the 16-50 I can't tell much difference shooting side by side. The 16-50 feels like its built better but SDM is a lot slower than the usm in the canon lens. You will lose speed but gain a better focus ring and water/dust resistance.

2.For long lenses I can't speculate. I have the 60-250 and its nice optically but once again SDM is very slow on this one. Adequate for non sports but once you throw something moving fast into the mix (dogs etc. ) it struggles to keep up.

4. That is a deal on a 7D, if you are happy with Canon and I think you would like the longer lens options stick with the 7D. Coupled with a 70-200IS you will not get that kind of AF performance out of the K5. IF that is important don't switch.

My reason for leaning Pentax was mostly for the WR and price. Sure If money was no option I could go full L glass and a 1 series Canon or a 7D and test it's limits. But that would cost significantly more than a Pentax setup. I feel like the ONLY thing I come short on with the K5 is AF performance vs the 7D and USM lenses. Canon just flat has the Pentax outperformed here. Now the Pentax is adequate for AF performance but will not have as many keepers vs USM lenses in fast action. Keep in mind that not all lenses are fast on the 7D and some are slower than SDM on Pentax. My Tamron 18-270 is a slow lens motor wise.

K5 has a better sensor. For everyone other than pixel peepers you won't notice the slight resolution difference or ISO really for that matter. DR is better and gives you some flexibility in PP.

Handling is personal, I like Pentax controls. Some things I've noticed:

Chimping is easier on 7D that thumb wheel and delete/ok key combo plus the camera is just faster make reviewing and killing obvious useless shots very fast. Main difference is with Pentax you need to hit delete then down arrow then ok, and the camera is slower so it takes more time. Sounds superficial but you can clearly notice the difference.

Green button is awesome except when you hit it by accident in manual or you roll the back wheel and don't notice. You become disciplined to avoid this but it happens. I didn't do this with 7D as the thumb wheel is hard to roll by accident and no green button.

AF options on 7D are better. I don't use full points very often and mostly use center point. Performance wise they feel very similar in how fast they can lock but the SDM motor holds back the K5 vs the 7D and USM. I think 7D just has K5 beat on that front. In the end if you use center point mostly I don't think it will be a big deal as most of the advanced tracking etc won't be in use. For anyone rocking back and forth if you need AF and it's really important the 7D is ahead. For my needs the K5 is working. If I made money on fast moving objects I would go Canon.

AF, Fast long lenses--->Canon
Everything else------> Pentax
03-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input!
03-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I noticed DXOmark has a section on lens testing and I remembered it had the DA* 16-50. It is similar to similar versions to Nikon and Canon except it seems cromatic abberation makes its score fall comparatively. Of course, the K-5 can be set to adjust the CA as you take photos but it slows the camera down somewhat but that might be a welcome to some shooters.

DxOMark - Compare lenses
03-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I noticed DXOmark has a section on lens testing and I remembered it had the DA* 16-50. It is similar to similar versions to Nikon and Canon except it seems cromatic abberation makes its score fall comparatively. Of course, the K-5 can be set to adjust the CA as you take photos but it slows the camera down somewhat but that might be a welcome to some shooters.

DxOMark - Compare lenses
I honestly have not had an issue with the 16-50 at all. Anything very minor that could pop up like CA or vignetting can be fixed in about a minute with Lightroom.

Lens sharpness wise in real world use I can't see any difference. They are both excellent pieces of glass. Canon should just make the 17-55 a real piece of L glass and take the cheap parts out. It's an 1100 dollar lens.
03-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Canon should just make the 17-55 a real piece of L glass and take the cheap parts out. It's an 1100 dollar lens.
I wish, but Canon will never make an EF-S lens an L unfortunately. It's too bad because there are no Canon lenses that have that kind of a range with more rugged build. I was actually considering selling mine and picking up the Sigma 17-50 OS, but I don't really feel like playing the Sigma lottery and the Sigma isn't weather sealed either.
03-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was actually considering selling mine and picking up the Sigma 17-50 OS, but I don't really feel like playing the Sigma lottery and the Sigma isn't weather sealed either.
Why would you change the winning horse? Keep the EF-S if you are happy with it. I like that lens too.
03-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Why would you change the winning horse? Keep the EF-S if you are happy with it. I like that lens too.
I was mostly thinking about this back when the focus motor went out on my 17-55 right around the time that the 17-50 came out. I was pretty frustrated, but even though I bought the lens used, I was able to get mine fixed for free since I had a blank warranty and a receipt from within the year.