Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 06:05 PM - 7 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I shall continue to prove the LL FF fault until it is fixed and there are styill those denying it exists

It was well within the claimed range of the AF system. My K20D and K10D AF perfectly in the same condfitions.
Well then I shall add you to my Ignore List until you surrender.

I've read it. I get it. I beieve you. I'm waiting to buy a K-5 until later.

Your compulsive fixation on this flogged-to-death issue is actually ruining my enjoyment of this Forum.

Now please, just shut up.

03-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
I think that these were special Australian photographic possums that were used. They are trained to jump forward several mm when they hear a shutter button about to go off (to offset forward focusing). Yeah, probably not a valid test at all..... (sorry, I just couldn't help myself)
They must be Pentax possums then
03-09-2011, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And rightly so. As long as there are posts, and now threads, denying the K-5 has the LL FF problem than I think it's only reasonable to point out that the K-5 does have LL FF the problem.

Not everyone has followed the saga closely.
You are just spoiling every thread in the K5 forum and putting your bitterness to other people's joy.
You just can't accept the fact that there are people out there who have got good shots in low light conditions. Be it with AF assist on, looking for the highest point of contrast, luck/chance, good camera, etc.
The post isn't even about the same type of FF issue you keep repeating. Its low light focus with focus assist.

This is just a "I am blind in one eye, so I want the world to be blind in two so that I am the only one who can still see" mentality.

Anyway the cure-all for your messing up the threads is here :
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-5_s.html

Last edited by pinholecam; 03-09-2011 at 07:15 PM.
03-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
You are just spoiling every thread in the K5 forum and putting your bitterness to other people's joy.
You just can't accept the fact that there are people out there who have got good shots in low light conditions. Be it with AF assist on, looking for the highest point of contrast, luck/chance, good camera, etc.
The post isn't even about the same type of FF issue you keep repeating. Its low light focus with focus assist.

This is just a "I am blind in one eye, so I want the world to be blind in two so that I am the only one who can still see" mentality.
I won't even bother reporting your post even though it was solely designed as a personal attack which is against the form rules. However I will say a couple of things.

1] I am far from bitter. I have really enjoyed using my K-5 since I received it. Best camera Pentax ever made IMO.

2] Your statement I have highlighted in bold... This thread was nothing of the sort. The thread was called "Wow! The K-5 has AMAZING focus accuracy in low yellowish light!" - The focus assist light is green, not yellowish and the thread made general claims about the accuracy of the K05's focus in low yellowish light.

I won't defend myself against your personal attacks any further, but you may have noticed that Pentax have finally acknowledged the FF LL fault and have released Firmware 1.03 to address the problem. And my tests sofar show that they have indeed fixed the fault.

I'm off to enjoy my K-5 even more now.

03-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I won't even bother reporting your post even though it was solely designed as a personal attack which is against the form rules. However I will say a couple of things.

1] I am far from bitter. I have really enjoyed using my K-5 since I received it. Best camera Pentax ever made IMO.

2] Your statement I have highlighted in bold... This thread was nothing of the sort. The thread was called "Wow! The K-5 has AMAZING focus accuracy in low yellowish light!" - The focus assist light is green, not yellowish and the thread made general claims about the accuracy of the K05's focus in low yellowish light.

I won't defend myself against your personal attacks any further, but you may have noticed that Pentax have finally acknowledged the FF LL fault and have released Firmware 1.03 to address the problem. And my tests sofar show that they have indeed fixed the fault.

I'm off to enjoy my K-5 even more now.
Good!
Hope the K5 sub-forum becomes more enjoyable to read with less of the whining.
03-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #36

Christine
I find that very impressive! In the best of light my K10 would have picked up a branch 95% of the time. Thanks for posting as I am still on the fence with my upgrade and this helps.
03-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Good!
Hope the K5 sub-forum becomes more enjoyable to read with less of the whining.
yes I was also fed up with the whining. I hope so too.

But having taken many test shots with 1.03 tonight, I can say for now that the FF problem is far from fixed. There has been some improvement in some circumstances, but my K20D nails AF every time at EV2, while my K-5 fails miserably most of the time at EV2 ( same lens same settings and scenes )

03-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #38

But having taken many test shots with 1.03 tonight, I can say for now that the FF problem is far from fixed. There has been some improvement in some circumstances, but my K20D nails AF every time at EV2, while my K-5 fails miserably most of the time at EV2 ( same lens same settings and scenes )
Hey, could you verify if your AF fine adjustments are at factory values. Also, did you try a default reset. Would be interested if any of these parameters could affect your camera, if any of this applies.
03-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Hey, could you verify if your AF fine adjustments are at factory values.
My lenses are all AF calibrated in daylight, and AF is accurate also in tungsten light at >EV4

QuoteQuote:
Also, did you try a default reset. Would be interested if any of these parameters could affect your camera, if any of this applies.
Resetting made no difference.

My current results are here

Tomorrow I shall endeavour to post some pics from a repeated version of tonight's testing.
03-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #40
Veteran Member

With FW v1.03, I am having no issues focusing down to at ~0EV, even with an f/2.8 lens (with the AF-assist light turned off).

At light levels below 0EV (w/o the AF assist light), the K-5 has trouble locking focus (which is fine, I don't expect it to lock at levels that low). So basically as far as I'm concerned, the issue is resolved because now when my K-5 locks focus, it's properly focused.
03-10-2011, 01:49 AM   #41

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
What I do question is your "Possum". Now I am an old Possum hunter, and I know a Possum when I see one.....I have no idea what that varmint is you posted, but here is a real Possum.....comes out in my shop to eat the cat food every night, has for years. This is his "baby picture"...he is much larger now...
I would hunt those rats anytime and with NUCLEAR BOMB!

GW
03-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
With FW v1.03, I am having no issues focusing down to at ~0EV, even with an f/2.8 lens (with the AF-assist light turned off).

At light levels below 0EV (w/o the AF assist light), the K-5 has trouble locking focus (which is fine, I don't expect it to lock at levels that low). So basically as far as I'm concerned, the issue is resolved because now when my K-5 locks focus, it's properly focused.
That sounds encouraging. Do you have anything faster than 2.8 to try?

I never tested any of the K-5s I had below 1EV (as measured by my Sekonic light meter @100ISO). For the most part, I think 3EV and above is my working range. I had issues between 4 and 5EV.

So now the decision is whether to jump back into the pot now or wait a few more weeks. Decisions, decisions...
03-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote

I never tested any of the K-5s I had below 1EV (as measured by my Sekonic light meter @100ISO). For the most part, I think 3EV and above is my working range. I had issues between 4 and 5EV.

So now the decision is whether to jump back into the pot now or wait a few more weeks. Decisions, decisions...
IMHO you should wait until a basket of tests from variosu users have been posted here. I'll be doing all my testing at f/1.4 to keep DOF to a minimum.
03-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote

I only tried the f/2.8 lens to see what the worst case scenerio would be as that's pretty much the slowest lens I'd use in low light.

In terms of fast lenses, I have tested the new firmware out with the FA31/1.8, FA50/2.8 macro, DA*55/1.4, FA77/1.8 and FA*85/1.4 and have had no problem with any of those lenses wide open.

Now, for what it's worth, I was able to operate ar around 3EV without any issues with the previous firmware I was running (v1.01). It looks like 0EV is my new threshold using the v1.03. Below that light level, the focus has trouble locking without the AF assist lamp (which is both expected and completely acceptable IMO).
03-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #45
Inactive Account

Having taken a few dozen test shots around the house in dim light with my Sigma 30mm at f/1.4, I have to say I'm *very* pleased with Firmware V1.03.