Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! The K-5 has AMAZING focus accuracy in low yellowish light!

Pictures of our possums in our backyard (they keep us as pets).

This is taken after 8pm at night (completely dark except for a single yellowish light bulb illuminating the courtyard at the back of our house)

It was so dark the K-5 hunted around a fair bit, and occasionally turned on the AF assist light, before locking focus.

But every time it locked focus, it got it right.

Here's a shot showing the K-5 correctly focusing on the possum (rather than the branches or the leaves in front of it)

And just to show that it is not front focusing, here's a shot focusing on the possum's back - as you can see it's feet and the branch is out of focus:

One final picture of the (female) possum posing for me:

Last edited by Christine Tham; 03-09-2011 at 02:44 AM.
03-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it's posts like these that inspire confidence in the k-5's ability to 'work' properly in low light conditions..... what lens did you use? you have some superb 'fast' glass .. also, i assume you used your onboard flash, was it set at default settings?
(p.s. exif info would help us help ourselves ) thanks for the post christine, dave m
03-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-5's front focus fault in low light has been properly documented and even Falk has provided an excellent scientific report proving this fault.

My K-5 and the K-5 owned by many many others has this fault and we are all awaiting a fix.

The OP has even stated the focus assist light was used for some of these pictures, which would invalidate the report for such pictures

Here's two images taken by myself of the same number plate with my K-5 with attached Sigma 30mm/1.4

1/160 f/1.6 ISO6400 - both 100% crops. no PP - subject distance about 20 to 25 feet

Auto Focussing using Live view

Auto Focussing using regular focus

btw - that number plate wasn't even dim light, it was lit by the headlights of my car. K-5's regular AF failed. Live view focus nailed it.

Therefore I would respectfully contend the following claim "The K-5 has AMAZING focus accuracy in low yellowish light!"
03-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
The OP has even stated the focus assist light was used for some of these pictures, which would invalidate the report for such pictures
I have to agree.

If the AF assist light came on during these shots, then this doesn't really tell us anything about the K-5's ability to focus in low light. I've personally never had any focus issues when the AF assist light comes on. Then again, the number of FF/AF issues I've had with my K-5 are pretty minimal when I use fast glass in low light (though I can replicate the FF issue if I disable the AF-assit light and/or use slower glass).

03-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

How often are you going to trot that horse out of the barn?
That was shot at ~EV2 with a partial spectrum light removing some EV from the scene.
You may well have been out of range for the AF system.
03-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #6

I don't understand why you would not want to use the focus assist light in low light conditions.
Isn't this what makes it possible for the camera to focus properly in those situations. When would you not want to have the focus assist light come on. The OP seems to have demonstated that it does a fine job. It seems that until we know what lens he was using as compared to the lens used in the liscense plate photo it is hard to make a judgement. I am not sure that this is
a condition that would matter to me.
Jim
03-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
How often are you going to trot that horse out of the barn?]
I shall continue to prove the LL FF fault until it is fixed and there are styill those denying it exists

QuoteQuote:
That was shot at ~EV2 with a partial spectrum light removing some EV from the scene.
You may well have been out of range for the AF system.
It was well within the claimed range of the AF system. My K20D and K10D AF perfectly in the same condfitions.

03-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Olson Quote
I don't understand why you would not want to use the focus assist light in low light conditions.
Isn't this what makes it possible for the camera to focus properly in those situations. When would you not want to have the focus assist light come on. The OP seems to have demonstated that it does a fine job. It seems that until we know what lens he was using as compared to the lens used in the liscense plate photo it is hard to make a judgement. I am not sure that this is
Jim
The OP doesn't demonstrate the K-5 does a fine job. It only demonstrate's the Op's K-5 works when the assist light comes on. I would expect the assist light to come on in a dark garden.

The assist light comes on well below the EV that the Front focussing fault appears, so there is no choice whether the use the assist light anyway in such conditions.

Furthermore there are plenty of scenarios where the assist light is obtrusive.

I advise you read Falk's report into the front focussing fault, as posted in the news and rumours forum.
03-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Here's an example from another K-5 user. This time one test tasken in natural light. Again EV levels way above where the assist light is enabled ..

From here

1st image - 10.56am, natural light indoors. EV3

2nd image - 9.47pm, indoors. Light source filament bulb and tv. EV2.3

03-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Olson Quote
Jim
If you'd read enough threads here in the K5 sub-forum you'd start to see a few names repeating the same thing and same samples
03-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Here's an example from another K-5 user. This time one test tasken in natural light. Again EV levels way above where the assist light is enabled ..

From here

1st image - 10.56am, natural light indoors. EV3

2nd image - 9.47pm, indoors. Light source filament bulb and tv. EV2.3
Thanks for quoting my post Smeggy...
03-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
If you'd read enough threads here in the K5 sub-forum you'd start to see a few names repeating the same thing and same samples
Pinholecam I think you'll find I haven't posted any samples here before. Yes I get FF at low levels, hopefully the firmware update will rectify the issue. If not it goes back for replacement/repair.
03-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Minulla oli jo 50 vuotta sitten jalusta.
03-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I won't question your particular results or your opinion.....other than to say that those that question Falc's extensive testing and disagree should be required to put up their credentials.

What I do question is your "Possum". Now I am an old Possum hunter, and I know a Possum when I see one.....I have no idea what that varmint is you posted, but here is a real Possum.....comes out in my shop to eat the cat food every night, has for years. This is his "baby picture"...he is much larger now...

More recent...shot through my office window with a tungsten porch light as lighting....K20D.
[IMG] [/IMG]

I can not only spot a real Possum, I can spot a real Possum sandwich! Can you do that?

Possum, the "Other White Meat" !
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
03-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I think he has a Common Brushtail Possum, different continent but still a Possum.

Common Brushtail Possum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia