Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ajoe Quote
It is plagued with an inordinate number of problems
Boy!!!!! you really do need a new dictionary.

INORDINATE = Unusually or extraordinarily large, excessive.

As far as I am aware it has only had 3 problems.
1/ Stains- Admitted to and fixed

2/ FF - Mine has a slight FF but only in conditions that I don't usually take photos without a flash, or i can set my Metz 58AF-2 to SB and get perfect focus.

3/ Overexposure with bounce flash - I have no problems with my Metz, straight or bounced, exposure is perfect.

03-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope. Not a failure. Yes, I own K-5 as of recently.
03-09-2011, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
As much as I love to see it as a big success and as my next camera if all problems are resolved. If we see sales rank, k-5 yet to be seen in top 25 at Amazon. FF, as we read, might turn out to be an hardware issue, who knows if there going to be a real firmware fix. Just keeping finger crossed.

Btw, what does other people have to say who yet to own k-5 due to whatever reasons?
OMG ! Is the Amazon Ranking now so important that it represents the quality of a product ? If so how come Leica, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Phase One etc. are not represented. Jeez, they must sell inferior products. I vow never to touch them until they make the Amazon Top 25 !

Yusuf - the size of a company has absolutely no correlation to the quality of the products it manufactures. Pentax are a much smaller camera manufacturer than Nikon, Canon or Sony - I would be surprised, but delighted, if they did make it onto the best sellers list.
03-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, what a bummer! Useless camera and if you want to get rid of it, I'll take it off your hands. Come to think of it, my K20D is useless as well - I just have it as a paperweight on my desk, together with the 50-135mm, again a useless product from Pentax.

03-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote

2/ FF - Mine has a slight FF but only in conditions that I don't usually take photos without a flash, or i can set my Metz 58AF-2 to SB and get perfect focus.
This might be a work around that I could live with. Can you talk about this more? Thanks.

Michael
03-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Sorry to be rude but this thread is a waste of time.
03-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Right again!

03-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Take it cool We are just discussing. Isn't?
03-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ajoe Quote
As a K5 owner, I say YES IT IS A FAILURE.

It is plagued with an inordinate number of problems, many of which Pentax has not even acknowledged or addressed, and the speed of handling these matters is deplorable.

I will never buy another Pentax product. Period.
I don't blame you. In fact if I were you, I wouldn't even use a forum with the Pentax name on it.
03-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Companies that have been in business for as long as Pentax don't just ignore QC issues they know exist from their user base.
psst.......SDM? Wasn't that pretty much completely ignored by Hoya?

I don't think the K5 is a failure, but I don't think it's a camera I want to put in my bag right now either.
03-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Too much emotion here and not enough reason. Camera Brand loyalty rivals or surpasses that at a Nascar Race.......

For me the K5 is a failure, because I don't have one, and if it wasn't for the many reported problems, I surely would.

But, is it a failure as a camera? For many it appears that it is not, and is well appreciated for their use. If you go to the archives and look at the months following the release of the K20D, one of the most dependable cameras ever built by and Brand, and compare it to the many and varied complaints on the K5, then it should be plain and simple to understand why many are now hesitant to purchase with problems that are still unresolved. Looking further, at the photos posted and the fine high ISO quality, the larger resolution numbers, and the physical build of the camera, it is hard not to want it.

There is what many here are not getting......people want it, yet based on the facts presented, they fear problems if they purchase it. That seems logical to me? It is not a life or death situation, just a matter of personal choice. I am not here bashing those that have the K5, why should they bash others that are yet to decide? Does that help push them in the Pentax direction? Cameras are great, they are fun, they are tools for many purposes, but if they are your entire life, you have a severe disability.
Best Regards!
03-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #27
Pentaxian

As much as I love to see it as a big success and as my next camera if all problems are resolved. If we see sales rank, k-5 yet to be seen in top 25 at Amazon. FF, as we read, might turn out to be an hardware issue, who knows if there going to be a real firmware fix. Just keeping finger crossed.

Btw, what does other people have to say who yet to own k-5 due to whatever reasons?
Someone who does not own a K5 has no right to say that the camera is good or bad, since everything they say is just theory.

There will be no perfect system. The Space Shuttle is flawed. Even the simple wheel is flawed (how come it cannot continue spinning and comes to a stop under its own mass?)

The K5 is a very good camera. Its not a perfect camera.
Stains issue - solved (batch problem and affected units can be replaced)
FF issue - many have the camera and are not really seeing it in real world results.

D7K? cmon, it has its fair share of issues
1. Patchy yellow artifacts on its JPEG at ISO6400 and higher (its on every sample photo on major review sites for everyone to see)
2. Hot pixel - again for everyone to see on the IR and DPR sample pics
3. Hot pixel on video
4. Cannot map out hot pixels (unless you like driving down to the nearest service center whenever that happens
5. AF inaccuracy (just do a google)

Last edited by pinholecam; 03-09-2011 at 08:41 AM.
03-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Yeah, It really sucks. Taken with a triple threat failure. A camera that turned out to be stained, bannot auto focus in low light, and an SDM DA*16-50.

03-09-2011, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Take it cool We are just discussing. Isn't?
Well, let's be honest. When you post a thread titled "Is k-5 a failure", what exactly did you expect in the way of replies. In one form or another, this topic has been beaten to death. There are people who feel that the K-5 is seriously flawed and in their opinion a failure. Some people within this group own the camera, some do not. There are also people who feel the K-5 is a great camera. Most people within this group realize it's not a perfect camera, but overall really enjoy using it nonetheless.

Why you care if people who don't own the K-5 feel it's a failure isn't clear to me. If you're just curious what the overal public perception of the K-5 is, so be it. But otherwise I can't imagine how the opinion of people who haven't owned nor used a K-5 would be useful in terms of trying to figure out if it's a good camera or not.

FWIW, I currently own a K-5. I bought one back in September and it was replaced in Decemeber due to sensor stains. That one also had sensor stains and I returned it in January. I had thought about just sticking with a K-x for a while to see how everything K-5 related played out, but I quickly realized that I very much enjoyed my K-5 and that I would prefer owning and using it, even if it wasn't perfect and had a few "flaws". So I bought one last week (stain free) and I am hoping the other lingering issues will be addressed in the near future, for both myself and everyone else who either owns or would like to own a K-5.
03-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I am on jeffsj side. I too think it is a failure.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us