Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #31

Original Poster
Unfortunately, Pentax Forums does not allow me to upload such a big file in .pef format ( 26 Mb)

03-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Try dropbox, mediafire etc.
03-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #33

Original Poster
Gentlemen...! I just downloaded Lightroom RC and the .pef image appears without banding nor strange pattern in the sky. The included Silkpix software makes the problem, I will investigate further and let you know. As one of the replies indicated, the K-5 displays the jpg image and not the original .pef file.
03-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There really isn't such a thing as "displaying an original pef file."

03-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #35

Photos: Gallery | Albums
maybe using adobe rgb space could provide some help...
03-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #36
MJD

I just exported some jpgs from Lightroom with the same problem. Exported them with a max size of 650kb. Looked fine in Lightroom. Turned out if I exported at 35% giving about 1.3Mb then everything looked fine and even resizing this 1.3Mb file down to 326kB with the Microsoft Resizer gave a nice file.
Attached Images

03-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #37

Original Poster
I would like to know where the origin of the problem lies, I got an interesting link from a dprview member : Posterization

03-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcurl Quote
I would like to know where the origin of the problem lies, I got an interesting link from a dprview member : Posterization
The origin has already been mentioned in this thread.
03-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow that's an interesting problem!

I'd be curious to see the original file though. It's near impossible to determine what's happening with a JPG alone. Posterization could very well occur at the JPG translation stage, or... there could even be some form or error at the RAW development level. But again... this is all speculation due to the fact that we can't actually see the original file.

The good news is(however) that both most all issues of these types can be rectified.

PS. if you are comfortable with FTP upload, I could setup and account so you can upload the file and hopefully find a solution.
03-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #40

Original Poster
Here is a link for downloading the original .pef file

IMGP0018.PEF
03-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Here is a link for downloading the original .pef file

IMGP0018.PEF
Excellent! - thanks
Just checked and the files comes-up A-OK in ACR and RPP(Raw Photo Processor).
And so I'm guessing you're getting distortions in the JPG translation stage of things.

Do you have Light Room or Adobe Camera Raw?

For reference sake, here's a JPG straight from ACR: full size.jpg

Last edited by JohnBee; 03-13-2011 at 04:13 PM.
03-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #42

Original Poster
Thank you for your help JohnBee, what i tried (with success) is to convert the .pef files to .dng using Adobe's raw converter.
The .dng files were well shown even on my elder ACDSee 2.5 software.
The next step will be to take pictures in DNG instead of PEF.
This strange pattern already appears on the K-5 's display, from this I conclude that the camera shows the a jpg of the taken pef file...?
03-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Thank you for your help JohnBee, what i tried (with success) is to convert the .pef files to .dng using Adobe's raw converter.
The .dng files were well shown even on my elder ACDSee 2.5 software.
The next step will be to take pictures in DNG instead of PEF.
This strange pattern already appears on the K-5 's display, from this I conclude that the camera shows the a jpg of the taken pef file...?
You're very welcome!

And I agree with you on the DNG choice, which should help simplify things a bit.
As for the camera display, my guess is that it must extract a JPG's at some point so as to create a preview of the file.
03-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did a few experiments with your .PEF file using Bibble Pro 5.2. I didn't do any PP, just exported .JPGs of different quality. At 100% quality (a 21MB .JPG), I couldn't see any banding in the sky, even at full magnification. When I exported a 50% quality .JPG (1.3MB) I could see some and at 35% (1.1MB), I could see quite a lot.

Can you export at 100% quality and re-size at the same time? If not, exporting at 100% quality and using some other software (e.g. Irfanview) to resize may give a satisfactory answer.

I don't know whether or not the blown blue channel has anything to do with the banding.

Richard.
03-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I did a few experiments with your .PEF file using Bibble Pro 5.2. I didn't do any PP, just exported .JPGs of different quality. At 100% quality (a 21MB .JPG), I couldn't see any banding in the sky, even at full magnification. When I exported a 50% quality .JPG (1.3MB) I could see some and at 35% (1.1MB), I could see quite a lot.

Can you export at 100% quality and re-size at the same time? If not, exporting at 100% quality and using some other software (e.g. Irfanview) to resize may give a satisfactory answer.

I don't know whether or not the blown blue channel has anything to do with the banding.

Richard.
I sometimes get the exact horizontal banding in blue skies with my K20d. It is something which comes and goes, even with different softwares, with little rhyme or reason. It is one of those things which has always bothered me, mainly because there does not seem to be a cause & effect structure. It is good to see this thread.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 03-14-2011 at 12:42 PM.