Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
Now I'm kicking myself. I bought the K-5 for a wedding I'm shooting on Sunday. After 3 copies with FF issues I returned it for a full refund. Now it turns out that if I kept it I'd have it for the wedding.

In any case, a few more good reports and I'll place an order for a K-5. It might be too late for Sunday, but I still want one.
And the best part is that the FF "issue" was irrelevant for the wedding since you'll be shooting during the daylight...

Last edited by alexeyga; 03-09-2011 at 07:57 PM.
03-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Thank you Pentax! No regrets sticking it out.
03-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nixifo Quote
Appropriate that nixifo be the one to break the news here!

And for all those (myself included) who commented on Adam's risking some credibility with his reassurances about the forthcoming FF fix - well, there you go - credibility confirmed. Enhanced even.

Now, just making sure my battery is fully charged before running the firmware update... (because, that would really suck!)
03-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Surely there is something else on the K-5 we can now all find to meet daily and whinge and moan about?

It just wouldn't be Pentaxian like, to not find something of issue...

03-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I also discovered the fix is not perfect, and there is still FF in some situations.

I have just taken a number of shots, all on the FA43, f1.9, ISO100

Low level daylight, t=5s (EV -0.47): fine
Dimmed halogen light, t=10s (EV -1.47): fine
Dimmed halogen light, t=4s (EV -0.15): slight FF
Dimmed halogen light, t=1.3s (EV 1.47): slight FF
Dimmed halogen light, t=0.6s (EV2.59): fine
Halogen light (max brightness), t=1/4s (EV 3.85): fine

The degree of FF is less than before, but the camera is still not perfectly focused.

I'm happy to post some photos if there is interest, but I'm lazy and I'm hoping you will just take my word on it.

Bottom line: it's an improvement, but not perfect. Since I was pretty happy with the camera before, I'm obviously still happy with it, but ever so slightly disappointed that the firmware fix was not perfect.
03-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
And the best part is that that FF "issue" was irrelevant for the wedding since you'll be shooting during the daylight...
Umm, sorry, you're wrong about the quantity and quality of the light. Good try though There are both indoor and outdoor components to the wedding. The ceremony in indoor in a dimly lit church. The reception will be in the evening and also under dim light.
03-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Bottom line: it's an improvement, but not perfect. Since I was pretty happy with the camera before, I'm obviously still happy with it, but ever so slightly disappointed that the firmware fix was not perfect.
Now I think you are just nitpicking!

03-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Further addendum

Prior to Firmware 1.03, I was getting better results by disabling AF fine adjustment, and worse results if I enable AF adjustment but set global and lens specific adjustment setting to 0.

With Firmware 1.03, it seems there is no difference in behaviour if I enable or disable AF fine adjustment.

So this would imply if there was an issue with enabling AF fine adjustment, it is now fixed.

Last edited by Christine Tham; 03-09-2011 at 08:06 PM.
03-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Now I think you are just nitpicking!
Perhaps.

But it seems the problem at around EV 0-2 is still there, just reduced in magnitude.

It's disappointing because the camera focuses perfectly at EV -1, but using the AF assist light.
03-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

The expected behavior would be:
AF fine adjustment disabled = AF adjustment enabled with 0 adjustment

If that wasn't the case prior to FW 1.3 but is the case now then I would consider that fixed.

Further addendum

Prior to Firmware 1.03, I was getting better results by disabling AF fine adjustment, and worse results if I enable AF adjustment but set global and lens specific adjustment setting to 0.

With Firmware 1.03, it seems there is no difference in behaviour if I enable or disable AF fine adjustment.

So this would imply if there was an issue with enabling AF fine adjustment, it is not fixed.
03-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
The expected behavior would be:
AF fine adjustment disabled = AF adjustment enabled with 0 adjustment

If that wasn't the case prior to FW 1.3 but is the case now then I would consider that fixed.
Sorry - it was a typo - I also consider that issue fixed.

Have now edited my post - apologies for the confusion.
03-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have just taken a number of shots, all on the FA43, f1.9, ISO100
Hey... That's an obsolete film lens. It's NOT digitally tuned. So what do you want... even the old stuff to work like new?

My gripe is that they did not fix the noise produced when shooting iso 51,200.

Silly me...
03-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #43
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Bounce overexposure NOT fixed....

Too bad the bounce flash overexposure issue still exists. As an event/wedding photographer it kind of stinks. I wonder why this does not get the same amount of attention as the sensor stain or FF issues (maybe not a lot of pentax shooters use flash?). I have had 4 bodies that exhibit all the same behavior. For the people who aren't aware of the problem, set your camera on Manual, f4-5.6, 1/50th second, and any ISO (as long as the scene is not over exposed to begin with. For example, indoors at an event, I will typically shoot at f4-5.6,1/50 sec, and ISO 800 (to conserve flash battery power- at a higher ISO the flash will not have to work as hard)) and try using any flash bounced off the ceiling and compare it to direct (IN PTTL). The flash will overexpose by about a stop or more every time. The only way I have found to control it is to put the camera's highlight expansion on and to dial down the flash exposure -1/3 or -1/5. This is not a permanent solution because when I need direct flash, I have to fumble around to dial the flash up again. When I get some more time, I will post some comparison shots.

Eric
03-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote

My gripe is that they did not fix the noise produced when shooting iso 51,200.

Silly me...
You're not the only one... I kinda hoped for the " da masterpiece" shooting mode... didn't happen... damn!
03-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by efkelly Quote
Too bad the bounce flash overexposure issue still exists. As an event/wedding photographer it kind of stinks. I wonder why this does not get the same amount of attention as the sensor stain or FF issues (maybe not a lot of pentax shooters use flash?). I have had 4 bodies that exhibit all the same behavior. For the people who aren't aware of the problem, set your camera on Manual, f4-5.6, 1/50th second, and any ISO (as long as the scene is not over exposed to begin with. For example, indoors at an event, I will typically shoot at f4-5.6,1/50 sec, and ISO 800 (to conserve flash battery power- at a higher ISO the flash will not have to work as hard)) and try using any flash bounced off the ceiling and compare it to direct (IN PTTL). The flash will overexpose by about a stop or more every time. The only way I have found to control it is to put the camera's highlight expansion on and to dial down the flash exposure -1/3 or -1/5. This is not a permanent solution because when I need direct flash, I have to fumble around to dial the flash up again. When I get some more time, I will post some comparison shots.

Eric
I never was able to reproduce that fault with the 3 copies of the K-5 that I had, all of which suffered from severe FF. When I get another K-5 I'll test it using your settings. I shoot a lot with bounce flash and also with large bounce cards.
Closed Thread