Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 Spaz Attack?!!

Just recently installed firmware v1.03 i followed all the instructions to the file,
I started using my camera today and these are some of the crazy spasms that my K5 has been having. (Note that all these problems are only appearing on the rear lcd screen.)

The metering changes from matrix to center-weighted very randomly changing back and forth, the same goes for auto focus to manual focus.

also when in the menu trying to change settings etc it has freak outs where the screen goes black and sometimes back and forth from the home screen to the menu.

Also very oddly when i start the camera up its asks for me to input the focal length but doesnt let me select anything and then after a few seconds goes straight to the home screen.

I am very worried this is definantly not normal!
Only started having problems once i updated from the factory firmware 1.01, since going to 1.02 and now at 1.03 its started having these problems and as said before I followed to install instructions that come with the firmware download.

PLEASE HELP!

03-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Kid Quote
Only started having problems once i updated from the factory firmware 1.01, since going to 1.02 and now at 1.03 its started having these problems and as said before I followed to install instructions that come with the firmware download.
Not sure if I can help you, but my debugging instincts (I'm a software developer) tells me that I would start by reinstalling 1.03 from a different SD card (and possibly also download it once more, I'm not sure how well-protected this stuff is from bad files). If that doesn't help, I would suspect bad main board or memory, which in this case means that your camera needs servicing...
03-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #3

To follow gazonk, as you had this issue with 1.02 already, I would suspect a bad hardware component, either RAM or flash memory.
Maybe you could try cleaning the contacts on the mount to see if you still have it to ask for focal length, a short-circuit may cause this kind of error.

But imho, this kind of random behaviour of the camera is sign of a faulty device, you'd better have it serviced.
03-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah, this is a broken camera. Send it in.

03-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try a full reset of the camera, if that doesn't work then try re-installing the firmware, and if that doesn't work send it in.
03-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Actually it sounds like you're having a communication problem between the lens and the camera... time to clean some contacts perhaps?
03-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
So when did you have access to this firmware 1.03 that you recently installed it?

03-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
downloaded it straight from the pentaxforums.com homepage.
I will try today 1. Clean the contacts 2. Reset the Camera 3.Redo the firmware with a new card will let you know how it goes.
03-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hmmm didnt go so well so decided to take it back to cr kennedy (Pentax Supplier for AUS)
Will be back in two weeks
Not good since i need it pretty much everyday :S