Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
do you get stuck in a rut..

after years of shooting mainly in aperture priority { stuck in a rut}, today I ventured into unknown water and used Tav setting on my K5....you set the shutter and aperture, the camera takes care of the ISO.....what a great program mode that is ....so now I have control over my DOF, and will never get a blurred picture again as I set the shutter to a fast enough speed for what Im shooting.....the increased high ISO ability of the K5 allows much more latitude for noise control ...

Im a right in thinking only Pentax have that program mode ?...if so that alone is worth getting a Pentax

Im loving this camera more and more every time I use it

03-13-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Coming from a K200D, TAv (coupled with the high ISO perf) is one of the things in the K-5 that I'm looking forward to using most. I can't wait to get it! Enjoy!
03-13-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
after years of shooting mainly in aperture priority { stuck in a rut}, today I ventured into unknown water and used Tav setting on my K5....you set the shutter and aperture, the camera takes care of the ISO.....what a great program mode that is ....so now I have control over my DOF, and will never get a blurred picture again as I set the shutter to a fast enough speed for what Im shooting.....the increased high ISO ability of the K5 allows much more latitude for noise control ...

Im a right in thinking only Pentax have that program mode ?...if so that alone is worth getting a Pentax

Im loving this camera more and more every time I use it

You'd be pretty right in thinking only Pentax has the Tav mode as I haven't seen it on any other brand of camera. When I discovered Tav on the K20D I pretty much use it exclusively and have done so with the K-5 as well.
03-13-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah thats something im looking foward too as well, and sounds like it will be very handy at a fast paced event or shoot.

03-13-2011, 03:12 AM   #5
Inactive Account

TAV-this is one of the greatest unexpected feature of the K-5 I'm using more and more..I found it really useful for birding as well as for kids.. so it is particularly useful for tele-zooms.

previously 99% I used AV..

Andras

Last edited by planedriver; 03-13-2011 at 03:17 AM.
03-13-2011, 04:45 AM   #6
Forum Member

This was one of several reasons I bought my first Pentax, a K10D. Other reasons included ISO priority (on dial, not in menu like others) and no Mickey Mouse (sorry Mickey!) pictogram modes on-dial.

Vic.
03-13-2011, 05:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Manual + Auto ISO. Exists on other makes as well.

03-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Never need to use it myself as I only shoot landscapes and want ISO 80 only. Too dark? Get out my tripod and take a long exposure! But it is a great feature on a great camera by a great camera maker!
03-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I find that Tav is my setting of last resort. It's cool that it's there and I get it but I use it when nothing else seems to work.

If you are now out of your Av rut, try Sv mode at night. It's really great for low light, I think anyway.
03-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Canon M mode allows auto iso which is basically the same as TAv.
03-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I also discovered the TAv setting, and found it extremely useful. Just set the aperture for your desired depth of field/sharpness, and the shutter speed to stop action appropriately, and the camera will alter the ISO to suit. Since ISOs on this camera are usable mostly up to ISO 3200, you'll get a perfectly-exposed picture of high quality using the parameters you select for both aperture and shutter speed. In daylight, you should get very little noise at all through ISO 800, and 1600 noise is barely noticeable. 3200 works with just a bit of noise in low light, and can be corrected with noise reduction software if desired. I love the K-5!

John
03-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I never used TAv mode on my K20D, but I almost exclusively use it on my K-5.
03-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a K200D in 2008 and, after a quick look ay some of the other modes, it was more-or-less stuck on Av. When I got my K5, it went straight to Av. Then I tried P for a few days. I put it on manual to try it out and it's more-or-less been stuck there for the last month. Just to prove I'm not stuck in a rut, I'll have to try Tav

Richard.
03-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #14

I tried it yesterday in full sunlight and performed effortlessly, So easy . I chose the aperture and shutter speed and camera found the ISO, 99% keepers.
John
03-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by bickrs Quote
Coming from a K200D, TAv (coupled with the high ISO perf) is one of the things in the K-5 that I'm looking forward to using most. I can't wait to get it! Enjoy!
I use TAv when I'm shooting action, and even more so when I'm going to shoot for hours and the lighting is going to change (sun rising or setting). I love it on my K20D and it's the reason I went to a K5D (should have my Silver by Wednesday at the latest).