Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 04:29 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Not if it is one with problems . . . stains, shutter . . . Besides, the depreciation on the K-7 will be relatively less over the next 2 years than the k-5. The K-5 is better in performance but at a cost.
I don't know. A lot depends on the cost of a new K5. I remember that people predicted that the K7 would drop to 600 dollars new, like the K20 did before it, but as far as I could see, it never dropped much below 800 dollars. I have a feeling that the floor for the K5 is higher than that (maybe 900 dollars?) which means that the price for used equipment will be relatively higher as well.

Certainly we haven't seen deep discounts on the K5 yet. Truthfully, I had expected it to fall fairly quickly to the price of the D7000, but I guess Pentax is selling enough without that that now, even seven months after release, it is only down to 1300 dollars.

06-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know. A lot depends on the cost of a new K5. I remember that people predicted that the K7 would drop to 600 dollars new, like the K20 did before it, but as far as I could see, it never dropped much below 800 dollars. I have a feeling that the floor for the K5 is higher than that (maybe 900 dollars?) which means that the price for used equipment will be relatively higher as well.

Certainly we haven't seen deep discounts on the K5 yet. Truthfully, I had expected it to fall fairly quickly to the price of the D7000, but I guess Pentax is selling enough without that that now, even seven months after release, it is only down to 1300 dollars.
Actually, Amazon has had warehouse deals on them for under $1100, some as low as 1060. No way in 3 years will used K-5 bodies hold at $900. My depreciation comments were referring to used bodies.
06-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
Traderdrew,

What lens are you using for those bird photos? They're quite sharp.
Thanks, I use the Sigma 500mm F/4.5 prime and I think when Pentax comes out with another camera over 20 megapixels I think it can even be sharper under certain circumstances. It is my favorite lens but it is by far my most expensive one. I love the thing!
06-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Actually, Amazon has had warehouse deals on them for under $1100, some as low as 1060. No way in 3 years will used K-5 bodies hold at $900. My depreciation comments were referring to used bodies.
You are correct then. I was more trying to figure out the lowest figure that Hoya would let a new K5 go for.

06-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Photozone warns against comparing results from different brands. In any case, the Nikon MTF results appear a tad inflated in comparison with the Pentax results. Simply compare the tests of 3rd party lenses such as the Tamron 90 and the Sigma 10-20. Why do the Nikon versions score higher than the Pentax versions?

I wouldn't place too much faith in photozone resolution tests. They may give a general indication, within rather wide parameters, of how a lens can be expected to perform in resolution tests; but they fall a long ways short when it comes to evaluating the optical performance of a lens.
Very true. In addition, the differences in MTF on the Photozone tests are not all that significant even if they are compared across brands. They are not differences for which I would pay 40% more.
06-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #111
Veteran Member

The first video is an older one, I have commented on it before... he even blocked my youtube username from commenting on any videos. What a baby.

Anyway, I shoot Nikon and I think this guy is an embrassment to the Nikon Community.
06-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #112
Veteran Member

If there is a slight chance you are listening Matt, you may attempt to explain how I got all of these flight shots with my K-5 and my autofocus was on. All images can be enlarged.

06-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #113
Inactive Account

Traderdrew those are really impressive shots
06-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
If there is a slight chance you are listening Matt, you may attempt to explain how I got all of these flight shots with my K-5 and my autofocus was on. All images can be enlarged.

That wood duck is phenomenal!
06-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #115
Pentaxian

agreed, they all rock but the wood duck is amazing!
06-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Stunning pics but there is a story I'm sure behind the pics.

BIF is one of the hardest genre of photography and generally requires and demands years and years of practice - which you might have and clearly have specialized in.

To truly access the K5's true ability against let's say the D7000 or it's true competitors the D300s and 7D, we need to give a noob the 3 dslrs and get him/her to take pics of birds in flight.

Let's say 100 shots from each dslr, then assess out of the 100 shots from each dslr how many in focus shots were made.

This of course could be done with any fast action photography.

Only then can could we really quantify which dslr has the edge in AF.

I have never in my life done BIF and really really struggled, lets say just about impossible with the Pentax 55-300 and the K10D.

Due to these experiences and a myriad of other problems the K5 was coming out with (and still is) as listed in this very forum I just could not take the risk of putting money into the K5.

So I did invest in the D7000 and the 70-300 and on my very first outing got this on a very very blustery day at the beach - I did not have to take 100 shots to get this. just one in fact - I put the Nikon in 3D tracking with 21 zone assist and let it does its job while I focused on composition.

With a little more practice birds in flight moving across the frame will I'm sure be more easily for a noob like me.

Please bear in mind the background which could have easily fooled lesser systems - so I'm more than happy.

06-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #117
Veteran Member

The wind was so hard on the day that it was hard to stay stable on my feet.

This was my second shot of the day only spoiled by camera/body movement due to the wind being so hard.

These seagulls were all over the place in the wind but with 3D tracking and 39 assist I was able to at least focus on composition and I received an acceptable shot.

I can only imagine what it could have been like with zero wind and with a slight crop

06-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Another noob shot as I'm a total clutz with birds as I have little patience;-)

This weaver was hopping all over the place and just wouldn't be sit still but here I focused on the head with 3D tracking and 9 point assist.

I did not machine gun or take a zillion shots this was the one I preferred out of 2 shots

All these shots were taken with the 70-300 at the 300 end which is reported to be unusable and soft

06-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote

To truly access the K5's true ability against let's say the D7000 or it's true competitors the D300s and 7D, we need to give a noob the 3 dslrs and get him/her to take pics of birds in flight.

Let's say 100 shots from each dslr, then assess out of the 100 shots from each dslr how many in focus shots were made.
Thanks everyone for your nice comments! The way to get good bird shots is you want to sun behind your back so you need to get out there early in the morning or late afternoon/early evening.

Think of the skeet shooter. They are good at panning for their targets. What I did is not much different. I kept the autofocus on continuous mode and was patient in letting the bird fly into the position I wanted it to be. It is really that simple other than finding the optimal ISO and shutter speed.

If I could just keep the middle focus point on the bird in flight, I would be able to get them in flight all day but this is easier said than done. Obviously some people are better than others at this.

All of my shots here were hand held with a Sigma 500mm F/4.5. Maybe if I had a good tripod with a gimbal head I could learn to do it better as I know a Canonite who caputures flight shots in this way.
06-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Stunning pics but there is a story I'm sure behind the pics.

BIF is one of the hardest genre of photography and generally requires and demands years and years of practice - which you might have and clearly have specialized in.

This of course could be done with any fast action photography.

Only then can could we really quantify which dslr has the edge in AF.

I have never in my life done BIF and really really struggled, lets say just about impossible with the Pentax 55-300 and the K10D.

Due to these experiences and a myriad of other problems the K5 was coming out with (and still is) as listed in this very forum I just could not take the risk of putting money into the K5.

So I did invest in the D7000 and the 70-300 and on my very first outing got this on a very very blustery day at the beach - I did not have to take 100 shots to get this. just one in fact - I put the Nikon in 3D tracking with 21 zone assist and let it does its job while I focused on composition.

With a little more practice birds in flight moving across the frame will I'm sure be more easily for a noob like me.

Please bear in mind the background which could have easily fooled lesser systems - so I'm more than happy.
BIF photos are something that require a lot of skill and practice. However, judging Pentax auto focus based on a K10 with a DA 55-300 is not accurate. Things have changed a lot since that time. It would be like judging Nikon auto focus based on a D50.