Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

Nikon D7000 trumps Pentax K-5....

.....according to Matt from Art of the Image:

Sorry if this has been posted already. I did a search and could not find. My point was not to create a big war about the two cameras (there's plenty of that in the comments on YouTube).....rather it was to give another example of the Canikon snobbery most of us are familiar with. It makes me proud to be a Pentax owner in that regard alone (I guess when you're the underdog it's not snobbery, it's loyalty). The snobbery is so apparent from the disdain in his voice (and facial expressions) for the K-5....and his reasoning by just hammering the two points about AF (valid as it may be) and High ISO (which was negligible if at all different) as to why the D7000 is "clearly" the better camera all the way around made me laugh. Thought everyone else could use a good laugh too......though I suppose in one way it's to the point where it isn't even worth alluding to the irreverence anymore. The Pentax stand on their own with performance and features, and those who disregard look foolish enough on their own.....even taking into account whatever issues have surfaced lately with stains and front focusing for some. What do you think?

03-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I watched that video before I bought my K-5 and laughed a good bit too.
03-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
I had to keep the http and www parts off the address or else it would just have this YouTube box with no address link and no video. Not sure how to put the actual video into the post. Just copy and paste.
03-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Maybe this will work....

03-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Forum Member

Even the Canon guy at Henry's said the K5 is a better camera...
03-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
I watched that video before I bought my K-5 and laughed a good bit too.

And I presume you are still laughing after the purchase?
03-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah this has been posted before, and what else do you figure you would get from people who are obviously well vested in a Canikon setup. It would be unfathomable to say that your prefered equipment does not trump its competition...
Myself, I did 2-3 months research on DSLR's and what my wife and I wanted to shoot, what we could budget for and how far upgrade paths would lead. After all the research was said and done the K-5 trumped the competition hands down. When most of its optical quality can rival camera's 2x its cost and your main loss is a few settings in movie mode, I was sold. I want a camera.. if I want to shoot video's I would have been looking for a digital vid cam.
I think every new model of camera has its growing pains when they change/upgrade parts for the next generation.
D7000 IMO is 1 step up from the T3i/60D and is a great high end consumer camera which is a little step up from the T2i which was dubbed perfectly as "Best Mommy Cam" of all DSLR's for its ease of use and functionality. Of course they don't tell mommy that she'll go broke getting any nice glass for it.

03-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"The D7000 autofocus system will never let you down."

I have stood next to Nikonians and Canonites with their cameras as we both took photos of flying birds and listened to them complain about missing the shots. I can't say I get them every time but I have nailed them with my K-5,... just look at my photostream:

Flickr: Andrew Dale Richardson's Photostream
03-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
This particular comment (from the list of comments on youtube) also cracked me up:

"Simply, if your are looking for DSLR system you have only two choses Nikon OR Canon. If you want just a DSLR camera with a kit lens instead of your old P&S then go with Pentax or Sony.Keep in mind that if you will take photography as a serious hobby you should go with Nikon or Canon. It is not only about one camera body. it is about the whole system of camera bodies, lenses and accessors. it is about your future plan."

I guess I must not be too serious then.

I know, I know. There's a part of me that doesn't want to "validate' these kinds of notions by ridiculing them.....but it simply never ceases to amaze me how people think so black and white.
03-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonder what he thinks about Pop Photos giving the D7000
4 stars to the K-5s 4.5?
03-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

And why DxO mark rates the K-5 highest APS-C camera at an 82... (Ties the D3s, D7000 rated @80)
And DPreview gave it a gold award at 83%... (D7000 Silver award @ 80%)

Last edited by Chex; 03-13-2011 at 07:44 PM.
03-13-2011, 08:36 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Camera fanboys, whether they are Pentax, Canon, Nikon or other fanboys are too narrow minded to be bothered worrying about.

They are outside the standard deviation of common sense.
03-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If a camera that had amazing IQ and price point with enough good glass and a long line up of backwards compatible lenses and adapters I wouldn't care if the brand was called "POS CAMERAS" I'd be one of the first in line for a great product at a good price point.
I've had friends be overly "brand loyal" and I always end up laughing at the blind purchases just because it has a certain logo on it does not make it the best in its class.
03-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #14
Forum Member

that guy did not say single fact during 5 minute talk. I was waiting for some argument but nothing came out.

Just see the like/dislike
03-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

C"mon guys, don't feed that obvious troll.
But, if you really want to put him in a uncomfortable position, ask him where are his photos. I can't post anymore, he bans me 2 months ago.