Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
do you have to compensate otis for his modeling work?????
rupert, are you using jpegs or raw? asking as i just got my new k-5, and shoot jpegs... and curious as to what iso noise reduction settings you are using.... thanks, dave m
Dave, so you did get a K-5? Woohoo. So did I.

03-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Hi Rupert, welcome to the K5 club Glad you're happy with your purchase (and great pics of Otis, by the way )

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
the SD Card must be extracted by a Licensed Dentist, or with forceps by a Pediatrician. I just use a pair of vise-grips.
Sounds like there may be something wrong with your spring release then - the spring release on mine pops the SD card up nearly 1/2 inch, which is more than enough to grab it with my thick fingers. It shouldn't be difficult to remove - I'd recommend taking it to your dealer and getting it exchanged.
03-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the new camera.
The SD card is snug when new. It will loosen up with use.
03-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Dave,

I shoot jpegs primarily. Though mainly a birder, I've been stuck inside since getting my K-5 in Dec due to a brutal winter, old age, some lower joint problems, and lack of interesting birds during the winter months in my area.

Here's what I've found works for me up to about ISO 10000 so far. . . I've turned High ISO NR OFF completely, set image processing to Natural with all the settings at 0, except for Sharpening, which is set to -4.

I found that with these settings I got a base image that was very close to a RAW file converted without any other processing on a well exposed image (of course DR is limited by the 8 bit files, and there's significantly less headroom for highlight and shadow recovery compared to RAW). I do whatever image processing to my taste in PP and use Topaz Denoise 5 and then Topaz InFocus or Focus Magic in PSPP X2 mainly to process the files. I normally shoot Jpeg *** Quality, but the jury is still out on that until I get to shoot more birds. I doubt that I'll be changing my mind much, but this is how I plan to start the season.

I found early on that I didn't like what the in-camera jpeg engine did with any degree of sharpening as it added to the noise to a surprising degree at even moderate ISO levels, and I found the High ISO NR too destructive to fine detail at higher ISO.

I've attached a few high ISO images as examples.

The cat was at ISO 12800 using a DA 18-250 (which has strangely become one of my favorite indoor lenses with the K-5!) at 200mm wide open (f6.2) in available light. The turtle was at ISO 10000 with a Sigma EX 180 f3.5 Macro DG APO wide open, and the snake was with the same lens at ISO 2500, all using the mentioned settings, cropped and PP'd to taste, and resized for posting.

Of course YMMV -- but this is working for me so far. . .

Scott

It would be very hard to argue with your excellent results. I may just have to try your method...nothing to lose and those shots look great!
Best Regards!

03-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What will it take to tempt you to get the K5? Can Shelby encourage you with an apple?
[IMG] [/IMG]

Or maybe just her lovely smile for the K5?
[IMG] [/IMG]

It was a delight to use for its first "Studio"shoot today. Light, small, and very fast to focus and fire. Every new model since my DS has promised better and faster AF........FINALLY! The K5 actually delivers the goods! What a pleasure to use.
Best Reqards!
03-16-2011, 04:07 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
He appears to have gone to seed
Now that's just corny!

NaCl(pun intended)H2O
03-16-2011, 04:37 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the SD Card must be extracted by a Licensed Dentist, or with forceps by a Pediatrician. I just use a pair of vise-grips.
I'm not a pediatrician (don't even play one on TV) but I sometimes do use forceps, borrowed from my trout fishing kit.

03-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

...the SD Card must be extracted by a Licensed Dentist, or with forceps by a Pediatrician. I just use a pair of vise-grips.
If you press it in then let your finger slip off, it will pop out far enough to get a grip on it.

OTOH, using the same technique on my K100DS or K-x, sends the card flying across the room.

Last edited by areidjr; 03-16-2011 at 05:10 AM.
03-16-2011, 05:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
If you press it in then let your finger slip off, it will pop out far enough to get a grip it.

OTOH, using the same technique on my K100DS or K-x, sends the card flying across the room.
Haha, the built in card reader on my laptop does the same, i shot myself in the face the other day
03-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now that's funny!

Shelby's favorite shot from yesterday.....

I liked this one best myself...
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards! Have fun, it is fantastic if you don't get too serious!
03-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Yeah my K-7 has the same sd card thing, BUT I've found that if I press on the card and then quickly slide my finger off the card pops halfway out.
03-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just go for the K5...you can't miss! Shelby trusts me, you can too!

Shot with the K20D yesterday, it was in the bag getting lonely....
[IMG] [/IMG]
03-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

yep, the "slide your finger off the card" trick works well.
I actually had it fly across the room once.
03-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a short Rupert update after two days with the K5....

*Love the new LCD screen! Fabulous is a good word for its clarity and usefulness.
*The Bigma 50-500......One of my favorite lenses and for sure the favorite of Otis and Festus. That grinding gear noise from hunting back and forth for focus on my DS, K10D, K20D,......Gone!!! It just locks in fast and sure even in minimal light. Unbelievable, and has brought joy back to using it more often.
*I never shot much in Tav before, letting the camera have speed by going to higher ISO levels was not always a good idea. Now I think it will be my favorite normal setting. No fear to let the K5 climb the ISO ladder!

Here I used Tav for speed, kids are always moving....and even under poor store mixed lighting the 4-5 snaps I took were all fine for me, even this one at ISO 5000. Fast and accurate, that's how I describe my K5.......loved my other Pentax bodies, but could never say that before.
Best Regards!
Rupert
[IMG] [/IMG]