Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Probably a unit that was sent back to Pentax, cleaned and reassembled on the new manufacture date. There have been reports of some people (in Japan) getting back the same serial number as the one they sent in, so they are just replacing/cleaning the internals while leaving the original serial number.
That's what I think too.

03-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Vaatikaa sarjanumero 4007xxx tai sitäuudenpi. Kaikki ovat kunnossa ja uusia.
03-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I just wrapped the camera up and sent it back. Just didn't like the idea of having spent a lot of cash on something that's been fixed. I guess I'll go the old school way and just buy my third one in a regular store.

Thanks again for your thoughts

Ben
03-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The Silvers are 4006xxx range. Hopefully they will be defect free.

03-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul G Quote
The Silvers are 4006xxx range. Hopefully they will be defect free.
Nope. They are really all the old ones returned and repainted by Maaco.
03-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pennypunny Quote
I would have thought so too, but as said, the 39xxx model I ordered before had an earlier manufacturing date... Any thoughts on how this could be explained?

@TomS.: when I say no major stains, I mean no stains that won't go away after some cleaning. It still sucks though...
Pentax has always been somewhat random with their serial number assignments. I'm a bit of a skeptic regarding a SN cutoff for stains because of this.
I'd go with the internal manufacturing date for when the thing was made.
Don't forget too, even if you got a referb, it has a new guarantee, and I bet it got better QC than what comes off the line during initial assembly.
03-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Pentax has always been somewhat random with their serial number assignments. I'm a bit of a skeptic regarding a SN cutoff for stains because of this.
I'd go with the internal manufacturing date for when the thing was made.
Don't forget too, even if you got a referb, it has a new guarantee, and I bet it got better QC than what comes off the line during initial assembly.
No it doesn't. Not from Pentax USA anyway (if the camera is a replacement). The original purchase date is the warranty date.

03-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
No it doesn't. Not from Pentax USA anyway (if the camera is a replacement). The original purchase date is the warranty date.

My understanding was that the OP had bought a new camera from Amazon.
If this is the case, then there would be a new camera warranty attached to it, whether the camera had been returned and factory refurbished or not.
Or, Amazon is guilty of fraud, I suppose.
Either way, my point was more that the build date in EXIF is a more reliable indicator of manufacture date than serial number, which with Pentax has not always been a good indicator.
03-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Eiköhän nämä Silvers ole jo kaikki näitä puhtaita kennoja.
03-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If this is the case, then there would be a new camera warranty attached to it, whether the camera had been returned and factory refurbished or not.
Or, Amazon is guilty of fraud, I suppose.
Either way, my point was more that the build date in EXIF is a more reliable indicator of manufacture date than serial number, which with Pentax has not always been a good indicator.
That is why I added the 'If the camera is a replacement'. Typically, in the case of Refurbs, sold as refurbished cameras, the warranty is reduced somewhat because they aren't being sold as factory new.

03-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #26

Original Poster
Thats correct. Full warranty etc. As I mentioned in my initial post though, I admit that the whole thing is something that largely goes on in my head. If it were something I need for work etc. I wouldn't mind at all. Can't help it in this case, to some extend an emotional issue.

and I bet it got better QC than what comes off the line during initial assembly.
Been thinking about this too... well, too late anyway.
03-18-2011, 04:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'd return it

I'd return the K-5 with lower serial number for a currently made one, like the current 400xxxxx series numbers. If in the future you want to sell this K-5 used, Pentax owners know via forums the serial number range that are stained and which ones to avoid.

I'd skip any K-5 used with starting serial number 382-399.

K-5 camera isn't cheap, you should be joyous about your purchase of it !!!

Instead you're wondering why you got K-5 from the well known stained serial number batch, I say you should just return it, try again, or wait a bit.

Its a shame Pentax is creating factory refurbs and selling them as brand new instead of refurbed. Buyer beware !

Full warranty is nice, but you've obviously received someone else's reject camera with a lower serial number and Pentax modified build info placed in exif data to fool new K-5 customers.

Its a real shame.

As I said, I'd return it, for refund or exchange. Tell Amazon you want a 400 or higher serial number from current K-5 production run or your money back.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pennypunny Quote
Dear All,

During the past couple of weeks this forum has helped me tremendously in making a decision whether to buy a K5 or not. Many thanks for this.

I finally ordered a K5 at Amazon Germany about a month ago, but returned it due to heavy FF. Other than that, I really liked the camera a lot (especially when compared to my Dad's Canon gear which I use every now and then). So, after the new firmware came out, it was pretty much a no-brainer for me to go ahead and order another copy right away.

I received my new K5 yesterday and must admit that I was slightly disappointed when I found out that it had a rather old serial nr. (3854606). I checked the forum's firmware database and found that virtually all the recent purchases had newer serials.

At the same time I have to say that the camera seems to have no issues, in particular no major stains or necklaces (although the sensor was actually quite dirty, but nothing that wouldn't go away with a bit of cleaning). I didn't test the FF yet but will do so tonight. The firmware was 1.01.

I was hoping to get your opinion on whether the old serial nr. should give me any reason to be concerned and return the camera to ask for a replacement. In particular since I understand that some "older" cameras started to show the stains only after a while.

I am aware that one could easily ask why I would want to return a camera that seems to work just fine. On the other hand the "want-to-have-factor" was a major point in making my purchase decision. Hence, I want my new luxury toy to be in perfect shape all around.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Many thanks,

Ben

Last edited by Samsungian; 03-18-2011 at 04:12 AM.
03-18-2011, 05:00 AM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Nope. They are really all the old ones returned and repainted by Maaco.
LOL. As a point of reference my silver serial number (4006xxx) shows a manufacture date of 2/19/2011. I would think that is probably pushing the latest manufacture date that would currently be in circulation.
03-18-2011, 05:20 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I'd return the K-5 with lower serial number for a currently made one, like the current 400xxxxx series numbers. If in the future you want to sell this K-5 used, Pentax owners know via forums the serial number range that are stained and which ones to avoid.

Instead you're wondering why you got K-5 from the well known stained serial number batch, I say you should just return it, try again, or wait a bit.

Its a shame Pentax is creating factory refurbs and selling them as brand new instead of refurbed. Buyer beware !

Full warranty is nice, but you've obviously received someone else's reject camera with a lower serial number and Pentax modified build info placed in exif data to fool new K-5 customers.

Its a real shame.

As I said, I'd return it, for refund or exchange. Tell Amazon you want a 400 or higher serial number from current K-5 production run or your money back.

May I ask if you have proof any of your speculations are true?

Just curious...
03-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

Its a real shame.

Yeah, you're kind of misinformed, here. I received my K5 on 3/7. It had a serial # of 393xxx and a mfr. date of 1/25/11. That's barely more than 30 days from manufacture to being shipped to me. As we've been discussing here, Pentax serial #'s are not assigned in a strictly linear fashion. Therefore, you can't go by the serial #, you go by the mfr. date. My K5 thus far is perfect.

If someone returns a camera (to Pentax) for stains and receives the same serial # back, there is nothing wrong with that, they have just opted to repair it. Pentax told us that any K5 made after sometime in Dec. (can't remember the exact week) is safe.

You're espousing your ideas as though they are fact. You have no proof that Pentax is doing what you say. It also seems as though you have not read the thread that you've posted in.

Also, you can't tell Amazon to send you a copy from a certain serial # range. B&H may do that for you, but not Amazon.