Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
As a new owner of the 31, I must concur with this fine gentleman
Congrats Vaughn! 31 is kinda pricey though ...

03-21-2011, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Well I have the 18-135 and the 43ltd, I love the 43, not crazy about the 18-135.. but I think I have a bad copy and am sending it in to get checked.
I wouldn't hesitate on any of the LTD lenses, especially the FA LTD's.. but they are more expensive. I guess keeping the 18-135 covers basic range and is WR.. so as for your second lens, its really more up to what you shoot. the 77 is better for portraits, the 31 for landscapes etc. the 43 is kinda general use and does both decently but with extra footwork for the portraits! I would probably use the 18-135 and see where your more commonly used focal range is and then decide on the second lens.
03-21-2011, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Armanius Quote
The DA40 is definetely cool looking. I'm afraid that it might not be fast enough for low light situations though.

How do you like your FA43? It's not that much bigger than the DA40, and it's a whole lot faster.
I think f2.8 is plenty fast esp. in high ISO mode - IMHO aperture is more about DOF than speed with the K-5.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my FA43 - it is my most often used lens.

But ... if I had to choose again, I would be sorely tempted to get the DA40.

One thing I love about the DA Ltd series (I have the DA21 and DA70) is that they have amazing contrast - they achieve this through using fewer glass elements in the optical path - hence the "pancake" look.

If I compare the DA70 with FA43 for example - yes the FA43 is sharper but the DA70 just has that eye popping contrast that makes the FA43 look ever so slightly washed out. From the reviews I've read the DA40 has even better contrast.
03-21-2011, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
If I compare the DA70 with FA43 for example - yes the FA43 is sharper but the DA70 just has that eye popping contrast that makes the FA43 look ever so slightly washed out. From the reviews I've read the DA40 has even better contrast.
This is very true. I have 4 DA limiteds and they all produce exactly the same "look", contrasty & sharp. I have 1 FA limited and it's look is very different, not as contrasty, slightly warmer colours, just as sharp if not sharper, but with smoother bokeh (so possibly a more "natural" look?).

Also, I usually shoot with +1/3 to 2/3s of a stop with my DA limiteds, but have to put it back to zero or even -1/3 for my FA31 otherwise it tends towards overexposing.

03-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #35
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting - are these 'contrast' comparisons between the DA and FA limtieds at the same apertures and lighting conditions?
03-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
This is very true. I have 4 DA limiteds and they all produce exactly the same "look", contrasty & sharp. I have 1 FA limited and it's look is very different, not as contrasty, slightly warmer colours, just as sharp if not sharper, but with smoother bokeh (so possibly a more "natural" look?).
How true how true ...

Choosing between DA and FA Ltds is an agonising decision - ideally own them all! And even if I own them all, it will be hard to pick and choose which one to take for a shoot.

Lately I bought some A series lenses and falling in love with them too. They have an interesting slightly gritty "old school" look compared to the modern lenses - very nice and great for that retro feel. I shot all my pics on World Pentax Day on A series lenses - I was feeling nostalgic.

That's what I love about Pentax primes - they all have "personality" - makes the zooms look bland and lifeless.
03-21-2011, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

I have 2 DA Ltds and 2 FA Ltds and I have to concur that they give different looks.

I think the DA Ltds are like iPods, up to the minute, cool and beautifully sounding, easy to use and carry around but is not the last word in audio quality. FA Ltds are like CDs, a tad old school, less cool but even better sounding, a bit of pain to use and carry aound(anyone still own a Discman these days?) but just gives you that little extra in audio quality on the go. Some people prefer A/M/Takumars, just like some people prefer cassette tape/vinyl records.

03-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Ash, I noticed it straight away as soon as I saw the first FA31 pictures taken inside my home on the monitor (where I have thousands of other pics taken with DA's for comparision), so I know what the DA limited images looked like for reference.

I also did a controlled shoot on a tripod of the same scene with various DA lenses and the FA31 to see if the bokeh really was smoother than DA's or just a myth. I found the bokeh was smoother than the DA's, and in that same test confirmed that the contrast and the colours were quite different. By adding +0.05 contrast in Aperture the FA31 image contrast looked much more similair to the DA limited ones, tweaking the WB brought the colours a similair look too.

Last edited by twitch; 03-22-2011 at 04:26 AM.
03-21-2011, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-5 and 43/77 combo for me. Looks right, feels right, acts right. I would disagree completely that the 43 is too tight indoors, or even the 77 for that matter. You just have to learn where to place yourself. Sharpness, contrast, plush colours and gorgeous bokeh are there for the taking once you allow yourself time to learn their immense capabilities. It takes time though, granted, especially if you are a photographic novice like myself to scale the heights they are capable of reaching. Every now and again they give you a freebie to help you along
03-21-2011, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

My 43 gets used indoors all the time... and I still end up moving closer for the shot more than I ever have to back off.
03-21-2011, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #41
Inactive Account

Armando, you are everywhere these days...hahah, so am I...
03-21-2011, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #42

i think the 21 +77 is a great combo~
03-21-2011, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #43

For me the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and Pentax 70mm limited is a fantastic combo. I don't see 18-135 to fit in your demands, especially for the indoors shots. You said that you need a lens for the street shots also - well, you got a kit lens, didn't you? It is a great lens for street shots, and you just take 70mm ltd with you, put it in the pocket (it is sooo small), and you are ready to go. Tamron will give you great image quality throughout the whole 17-50 range, you have f2.8 which is good enough for indoors. And last of all - this combo is much cheaper than any other including 43ltd or 31ltd.
03-21-2011, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

I recomend the OP to get 2 Limited lenses.
Sure there are many many great lenses out there but being in the Pentax system the Limited lens are one of the greatest reasons to own a pentax camera.

You cant go wrong with any of them, they are all fine lenses to own. Just depends on your preferred FOV and what your prefrence's are.
If size is an issue, get a couple of pancakes. Or if you want speed and unique rendering go for the FA LTD series.
03-22-2011, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Just to show how versatile one prime is, here's my shoot today - using just one lens: A 50mm f1.7 (manual focus).

I took three lenses with me, but in the end just used one - was blown away by the quality of the photos I didn't want to take the lens out!
https://picasaweb.google.com/chris1.tham/20110322SwainsGarden?feat=directlink