Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bit of advise needed with Wireless flash {optical}

Ok as the title says I could use soem advise when using wireless flash with the K5.l

my set up is.

K5 set to control, Pentax 360 set to slave, Sigma ef 500 super set to slave, all on the same channel { all flashes are firing so I suppose they are ?}

K5 is set to aperture priority and a aperture of 2.8......what im getting is vastly underexposed images .

the flashes are set up in their wireless modes which correct me if im wrong, is pttl.

what im I doing wrong.....Im only using this set up until I get a set of radio triggers as I want full manual control on flash output, plus I have a non wireless flash that Id like to use in a three light set up.

Im assuming the wireless optical feature of the K5 is only for Pttl use?...

help me please guys...

03-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Is the on board flash up - as this is needed for wireless mode to work.
03-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes...as I say all flashes are firing when the image is exposed..its just very underexposed
03-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #4

Let me see if I can help a little.

First of all, lets try it a little simpler test. Lets just try the 360 with the camera. Things to check.

Is the 360 in slave 1 mode (versus just a dumb slave which is slave 2 mode). Check your manual to how to set if you don't know. And it should be giving an intermittent red light flash and P-TTL should be displayed.

Is the camera set to Wireless flash mode on the flash settings?

Put the camera in manual mode with a 2.8 f stop and a shutter of 160 or less. You don't have to do this but helps with troubleshooting.

Make sure your 360 has line of sight with the on camera flash (and of course its up).

Now try to take a picture. Did it come out (exposed somewhat close) with the single flash?

03-20-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
tried your suggestions Jr...but still no good..I did however get it to work in full manual using the optical function..i got all excited for a minute...but the sigma refuses to work in full manual...and only in pttl [ at least that now works in Pttl} ....which was ok when it was on its own..but fire the 360 in manual during the same exposure and the sigma quenches too much..

Dunno if Im flogging a dead horse here..perhaps it would be better to get my Cactus 5's on order ?
03-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #6

Hmm. Not sure what to try next. Difficult to diagnose without seeing things. Let me think out loud. I'm sure you checked this but let me grasp at straws here. If you are just using the 360, and you are getting the flashing red light with PTTL showing that tells me the flash is ready, its signal to fire from the camera is not getting there. Since its optical and you have line of site, then it has to be the camera signal (especially since both flashes are doing it). So if you hit the flash button right below the O.K. button on the back controller, is the selection on the far right (the W indicating wireless) and the flash compensation at 0? Is the wireless flash setting on custom settings 21 set to off? [this sets the camera to controller, not master - you don't have to do this but easier to see external flash contribution). I am assuming that you are just trying with one flash initially to see if correct exposure is obtained (I have never used two externals so just want to simplify to see where problem is).

O.K. That exhausts my brain. I use radio triggers myself (cybersyncs) with full manual control on my flashes. Just easier sometimes. Sorry I couldn't help more.
03-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
tried your suggestions Jr...but still no good..I did however get it to work in full manual using the optical function..i got all excited for a minute...but the sigma refuses to work in full manual...and only in pttl [ at least that now works in Pttl} ....which was ok when it was on its own..but fire the 360 in manual during the same exposure and the sigma quenches too much..

Dunno if Im flogging a dead horse here..perhaps it would be better to get my Cactus 5's on order ?
I tried all that stuff with my K20D....and also with my K5......things just work so much better when I just use the Cactus flashes. I run two strobes and the 540/360 with Cactus flash and other than an occasional misfire, rare, I can set the power just right for every shot. I'm not much on flash knowledge, but with the Cactus flash I don't need to be. Very simple and easy.
Keep some extra batteries handy for the receivers, they last a long time but when they go dead, your shoot is over!
Best Regards!

03-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most importantly, what was your shutter speed. Anything faster than 1/125 is problematic.
Also. did you try pointind the flashes at the camera while in the field of view. This will tell you if they are syncing correctly.
03-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Hi Tommot1965, I still remember using setup similar to what you're trying to do. And i always use an aperture range from f6.3 to f11 at speed always at 1/180s. Maybe i tried this a little different, here is my set up :
EF 500(slave) same channel with K-5, about 1/8 power (varied)
AF-360 (Slave 2 mode, press Light/Format 3 sec and choose [BIG C] between slave 1 or
slave 2) ,----press Light/Format in AF360 to exit. Set power output manually (varied).
K-5 (Flash Wireless mode =OFF, so as not to contribute with other flash) ISO mostly
200-->500 (depends on the subject)

I have done this many times and about using AF-360 together with EF-500 on the same channel
was sort of one out of ten hit with luck. So i change the AF-360 to slave mode 2 but beware that that mode can be fired by any camera..... hope this helps.........Buaobao
03-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, the K5 has a known problem with wireless flash when focusing "far" (as described in the EXIF data) : the slave flash is nearly nonexistent...

So, check if you are focusing "far" (and that depends on your lens). With a FA50/1.4, it happens above 3m...