Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I bought one ?

Hi all,
So the dodgy shutter button on my little KM/K2000 has reached the stage where I no longer trust it......and I have two good jobs coming up....the minister of finance ok'ed my purchase.
So is the k5 going to be hard to learn in a hurry? I only shoot manual, raw and lots of bracketing. I use sb28 flashes in manual and I have some rf602's....are they still ok on the k5?
So where should I start? Update 1.01 t0 1.03 ? ( or whatever it is). Hmmm better have a look and find out how to do that. and then what? I have downloaded the manual but its a bit useless without the knobs and dials to twiddle. Leave it on centre focus point and the metering as well?
Phooey I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew
Any advice? The camera should reach me in about 3 days I hope! 2 days before job no 1!

edited to add.......the tethering hack.........what do I need to make that work? I have a laptop with Vista I could use on site........ that would be AWSOME
cheers
Jan

03-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like you'll do just fine. Manual mode is manual mode, no matter what camera you use. Biggest difference is now you'll have two dials to control aperture and shutter speed

Your strobes should work exactly the same too.
03-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricstew Quote
Hi all,
So the dodgy shutter button on my little KM/K2000 has reached the stage where I no longer trust it......and I have two good jobs coming up....the minister of finance ok'ed my purchase.
So is the k5 going to be hard to learn in a hurry? I only shoot manual, raw and lots of bracketing. I use sb28 flashes in manual and I have some rf602's....are they still ok on the k5?
So where should I start? Update 1.01 t0 1.03 ? ( or whatever it is). Hmmm better have a look and find out how to do that. and then what? I have downloaded the manual but its a bit useless without the knobs and dials to twiddle. Leave it on centre focus point and the metering as well?
Any advice? The camera should reach me in about 3 days I hope! 2 days before job no 1!

edited to add.......the tethering hack.........what do I need to make that work? I have a laptop with Vista I could use on site........ that would be AWSOME
cheers
Jan
I have auto bracketing set to the raw button... works well for me

cheers

Neil
03-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you have nothing to worry about. All you get is twice faster camera with lot more ISO range and reliable built quality.
That shouldn't be problem for you to handle the transition.

03-21-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As said before: manual is manual, don't worry about that.
The metering of the K5 is even more accurate than it's predecessors.
Once you get used to those two dial buttons you hardly can't live without them.
The PK Tether program will be fine on Vista, just download it.
03-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is an easy camera to use. Go through the menus, get your settings like you want them, then enjoy. The options are many, but shooting is smooth and easy.
Regards!
03-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ricstew Quote
Hi all,

cheers
Jan
The only way you could have bit off more than you can chew is if you don't have the money to pay for it.

Since you say you only shoot in manual mode, discover the joy of setting your shutter speed to the rear e-dial and aperture to the front. Set your ISO to 80. Set the preview to Optical. Set the RAW button to activate/deavtivate the level. That is where I find my sweet spot with the camera anyway. Everything else, set it to how you are use to shooting.

Others.. Center AF, Spot metering (I'm not fighting with anyone about that), Aperture ring permitted, AWB works quite well on the K5 in non mixed lighting.

Welcome to the club!

03-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys........sounds as tho the basic settings are pretty much the same or at least how you achieve them is. Whoo Hoo I cant wait!
What a cool club!