Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
Well, I got a response from Sterling today and they said they currently have no plans to publish a book on the K-5. I was very sad to hear this. I do not plan on getting the K-7 book. I will instead just by the other guide suggested on here. Maybe if Sterling hears from enough of us they will change their minds and update the k-7 book to the k-5.
I really do find that odd. I would think the sales of the K5 would pretty easily surpass the K7. It's certainly bringing more users into the Pentax fold than the K7 did. And as said, it wouldn't take a whole lot of work to update the K7 book. Oh well, I haven't bought a Magic Lantern guide since the K10, anyway.

03-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Magic Lantern book for the K200D didn't really have much information that couldn't be found in the standard manual. I always equated the ML books as for total newbies to Pentax or DSLR's. It's written a little better than the manual, but no real info that you'd miss otherwise.
03-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
It's written a little better than the manual, but no real info that you'd miss otherwise.
That was pretty much my opinion, also.
03-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
My Magic Lantern book for the K200D didn't really have much information that couldn't be found in the standard manual. I always equated the ML books as for total newbies to Pentax or DSLR's. It's written a little better than the manual, but no real info that you'd miss otherwise.
I recall that the manual reported exactly how to apply a certain setting but the Guide was more likely to also outline under which circumstances I would want to use that setting.

It also did some cross-referencing, noting that doing A would affect B.

Without a comprehensive permuted index, which it sorely lacks, the manual is most helpful if you already know the answer, exactly what Pentax calls it, and which page it's on. The Guides went well beyond that for me.

03-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Thanks for the link to Yvone Borque's book -- just purchased it and it looks to be a good place to start.

Also, since this is my first Digital SLR, thought a book might be helpful as there are so many more choices on my DSLR than film SLR. Spent some time at the book store and am leaning to the DSLR for Dummies. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by Kathiewe; 03-25-2011 at 11:56 PM.
03-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #21
Banned

I bought Yvon's eBook for the K-7 over a year ago. I found it to be a glorified version of the factory owner's manual, but with added pictures and spelling/grammar mistakes. Not terribly enlightening. In fact, in many ways the factory owner's manual had more information. When I emailed Yvon to point out some of the more glaring errors I found, I never got a reply and no new version of the eBook was ever released.

Not terribly impressed.

I understand Yvon had the help of an outside editor for the K-5 book this time. Hopefully it's an improvement. But based on prior experience, I wouldn't buy one again.
03-29-2011, 06:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
I understand Yvon had the help of an outside editor for the K-5 book this time. Hopefully it's an improvement. But based on prior experience, I wouldn't buy one again.
That may be but it is still rampant with formatting errors which as a proof reader in part of my previous life, drives me nuts.

03-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #23
Forum Member

I also purchased Yvon's K-7 book and was not that impressed; like Hound Tooth said, "...a glorified version of the factory owner's manual..."
03-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Paras opas on, ottaa kamera mennä luontoon ja käyttää järkeä, kun ottaa kuvia. Tätä, kun tekee yli 50 vuotta huomaa että on oppinut jotakin. Jos ei sitä huomaa on 50 vuoden työ mennyt ihan hukkaan.
04-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #25

I've got the magic lantern guides for both k20 and k7 and none of them added much to my knowledge of my cameras. All I can say is:
1- Most useful for beginners
2- A good alternative to the original manual
04-23-2011, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Real men do not need manuals, maps or instruction books, and I am sort of disappointed at what I see in this thread from those I thought were real men......

However, I think I will get that Yvon E-Book to use as a Screensaver....it appears it would have some nice effects and such, and although I would never actually read it, I could enjoy the pretty colors on my screen....the price is right, why not?

BTW- My youngest son, now 43, will be thrilled on his next visit......without any instructions, I finally got the training wheels installed on his first bike! Sure, he would have enjoyed it more 40 years ago, but better late than never....right? I'll try to post a shot when he tries it out!

Best Regards!
04-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kathiewe Quote
Thanks for the link to Yvone Borque's book -- just purchased it and it looks to be a good place to start.

Also, since this is my first Digital SLR, thought a book might be helpful as there are so many more choices on my DSLR than film SLR. Spent some time at the book store and am leaning to the DSLR for Dummies. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I highly recommend "The Digital Photography Book, Volume 1" by Scott Kelby. It's a great guide to photography, and written as if you and Scott are out shooting and you want to know how to take a certain shot. Instead of explaining the theory behind it, he just tells you the settings to use. Very quick to read, and entertaining.

If you're interested in a little more theory, get "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Great explanation of how to get the proper exposure using aperture, shutter speed and ISO and how each will affect the look of the shot.

Together, these two books will get you well on your way to being a better photographer.
09-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #28

Pentax K - 5 Torturals

I'm still looking for a tortural on my K - 5. This camera has been out almost a year now. Has any one found a DVD or paper back guide on this camera yet?
10-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #29

Yeah I found the ML guide for my K20D much more helpful than the manual. Tips on this and that. Don't really need a how to on how to take pics, need a guide on how to use the camera. And ML does it well.
For instance the most annoying thing to me "was" the idiotic (to me) AF on the shutter button. It's ruined more shots than I can shake a stick at. Who knew you can disable it?
I now use the AF on the back of the camera. So if you're doing a landscape and a gust of wind blows a tree branch in front of you, you don't have a blurred landscape but a great focus on the flippin branch! It's locked where you set it. And there's a load of these tips many unique to Pentax.
As far as the K7 manual... I'm sure if it applied to the K5 it would say K7/K5. So I was hoping for a K5 manual myself.
10-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #30
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Should have bought a SD card instead

I should have spend the money on a SD card, or even the printed Magic Latern K7 (which has similar operation) book instead of Yvon Bourque's K5 e-book!

It is a complete waste of money for anyone who have experience with Pentax dSLR. The worst part is - I cannot even use it as a door stopper unless I use my paper & ink to print it out!!