Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #1

credible online k-5 sellers, that has resolved the "stain" issue

can anyone recommend a credible online k-5 seller(S), that has resolved the "stain" issue or is free from selling the stained sensor??

03-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All new K-5's are stain-free. Get one from B&H and you'll have it stain-free, with the ability to get an exchange if for some reason happened to be damaged.

Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Black) 14748 B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought from Henry's and they specifically mentioned they rotated their K-5 stock for this reason. They also mentioned they would have no problems exchanging or refunding the camera in the event that it was problematic.

However, I think most mainstream stores are selling updated units now.
03-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Forum Member

I received a K-5 from Abe's of Maine last week that had a serial number of 383XXX and an assortment of stains in the middle of the sensor. I sent it back and ordered one from Adorama and got a 393XXX serial number, firmware 1.01, but it is stain free - a keeper.

No one I talked to at Abe's had any knowledge of the stain problem - one person thought I was returning it because of stains on the camera body

Bob

03-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the info. i'll probably would go with B&H since the last time i've heard they're now selling a 4XXXXX serial number, so i guess it is more recent. thanks
03-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macoy2003 Quote
thanks for the info. i'll probably would go with B&H since the last time I've heard they're now selling a 4XXXXX serial number, so i guess it is more recent. thanks
Most, if not all, retailers are selling 4xxxxx serial# copies now. Those serials aren't exclusive to one retailer.
03-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. i'm from Canada, and i plan to buy it from an online retailer in the US (like B&H), would i be covered by it's warranty?

03-27-2011, 04:38 AM   #8
OK5

QuoteOriginally posted by macoy2003 Quote
Thanks for the info. i'm from Canada, and i plan to buy it from an online retailer in the US (like B&H), would i be covered by it's warranty?
Pentax offers a standard 2 year warranty if you buy their camera in Canada.
Here is a link that explains how the warranty works if you buy your pentax elsewhere. It also explains the best shipping method to avoid unexpected costs.
photoprice.ca: Buying Digital Cameras and Lenses Cheaply as a Canadian

Good luck
Jake
04-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Abes is overall a good dealer, great pricing, fast shipping. However, the chance of getting a stain free K-5 from them are slim.

Last edited by yelobone; 04-02-2011 at 07:23 AM.
04-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
Forum Member

I bought my K-5 from ProDigital2000. They're based in ON, Canada and sells Pentax equipments with 2 years Canadian warranty. The price is pretty good as well ($1319 USD + tax, free shipping).

My K-5 serial number starts with 400xxxxxx and it looks fine (so far). I was bit surpised to see fw v1.01 tho.

Btw, it's an eBay seller.
04-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I got mine from Adorama last month and it was 393XXXX and stain free. I did have to upgrade to 1.03 - it came 1.01. It had a January build date.

FYI, there is an additional warranty the US customers can buy from B&H that is through Pentax and was only $20. It adds two additional years of warranty onto the camera for a total of 3.
04-30-2011, 02:11 AM   #12

Original Poster
Disappointed at B&H.

Last March 29, 2011 i made an online reservation for a pentax k-5 body only worth 1299 (which the site says will be valid until April 2, 2011 of the same price, hence i've added it to my cart as a reserve). However, when i went back on the same site again the very next day (March 30) to make the actual order, they've increased the price by 1399. Personally I think a reliable company should honor its word or any price release for that matter. I would probably check some of the other merchants that was mentioned here
04-30-2011, 04:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I would imagine any of the high volume sellers like B&H would not have any old stock. One of the things I have learned through the years is that if the price is good, buy it now. Exchange rates are changing rapidly. Shipping costs are going up and I'm not talking about from the seller to us but from the overseas factories. Those costs get passed on in the price. There is a reason they print that little disclaimer "prices can change without notice". Expect prices to go even higher in the near future as the earthquake has disrupted the supply chain of electronic components. Our dollar is also loosing value so foreign products are going to cost more.
04-30-2011, 05:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

B&H supplied my K5 about a month ago and i HIGHLY recommend them. No stain, no focus issue. I know some folks were unhappy at their changing their mind on price issue about that time, but there is nothing disreputable in that. heck, buyers change their minds all the time. great company
04-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Check out the serial database- seems that the stain issue has is pretty much gone by now