Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

K5 AF assist light will not switch off

A few days ago I needed to switch off the AF assist light in both of my K5s in order to stop distracting people at an event I was covering. I switched it off in the menu of both cameras. The setting was only retained temporarily. After a while (probably after each body was set to auto-switch off) the green AF llight came on again when I touched the shutter release to wake the cameras up (and no, I'm not confusing it with the top plate window light). I have tested both bodies, and this happens consistently if I change the setting in menus, and then switch the body off. When I switch on again, AF assist lamp is on again and the menu setting is back to the default of "on." The setting is in Custom Function panel 3, item 17. Ihave changed the setting from "1" to "2", but after a switch-off, the setting reverts to "1".

Both bodies are using firmware 1.03.

Is this something that anyone else can verify? It isn't a major problem, just a nuisance at present.

03-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Delgado. Saw your message so thought I'd try it.
Mine stays off (default stays at 2) when I turn the camera back on.
Arnie
03-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Tried mine and it works fine. The AF function remains set at 2 (off). I switched to and from Green mode and other modes with no affect.

I thought it might be controlled by the Memory function but could not see any mention of it there.

Are you using a different lens on each body? I noticed in another posting that someone had problems that went away after removing the lens and doing a reset of the custom function menus.
03-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine seems to keep the setting over power-off as well. Removing the battery might be an idea, software might have worked itself into a state where it does not save the setting(s) at power-off (this seems to be somewhat nominal with modern gizmos).

03-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have (generally) the DA* 16-50 2.8 on one and the DA* 200 2.8 on the other. Both have a battery grip. AF mode is set to AF-C, and AF sensor is set to multi - AF point.

Very odd in that it is affecting both bodies.
03-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Problem solved

Because I have 5 different configurations of settings programmed in for USER mode, I habitually leave K5s set to USER (all of the set-ups I have programmed in are variations on Manual anyway, so I rarely need to switch to M).

I have found that if you try to amend menu settings with the camera set to USER, it does not retain changes. Setting it to M solved the problem. The AF light setting has been retained now.

Thanks to everyone who checked.
03-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh yes You need to explicitly save your USER mode for it to keep the settings changes (right ?). (This is one of the things I thought I'd use a lot, but it seems I haven't actually ... )

03-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Oh yes You need to explicitly save your USER mode for it to keep the settings changes (right ?). (This is one of the things I thought I'd use a lot, but it seems I haven't actually ... )
Exactly - with USER settings you have to save them explicitly - they are not retained by default. If no save is made, the camera just reverts to stored settings once the power is shut off. Another small lesson learned.
03-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks, that's a helpful bit of info.