Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dreamfoto Quote
hmmm are really sure or dare you to check it again )
As I said, it has no stains.

04-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #32
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a little baffled by the Serial #'s and the relationship to the Mfg date? Mostly, that there appears to be little relationship in many cases? Can anyone explain this?
Regards!
04-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Rupert

My current 3rd camera is 398xxx and a 22 Nov 2011 build. stain free delivered March2011

My take on this is that Pentax has re-manufactured a proportion of pre 20dec stock to replace the sensor at which point they went through the normal serialisation and got new numbers.

Checking the camera database I see K5's just a few number away from mine built end jan early feb which would match is correct for the serial.

So I think my camera was sent back through the production line got serialised around end jan and was delivered to me early march along with other users who got end Jan build machines.

I know initially Pentax didn't realise that the stain grew with heat so visually checked a number of units for replacement these boxes had a blue circle on them to show stain free , My 2nd stained unit was one of these
04-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Hi Rupert

My current 3rd camera is 398xxx and a 22 Nov 2011 build. stain free delivered March2011

My take on this is that Pentax has re-manufactured a proportion of pre 20dec stock to replace the sensor at which point they went through the normal serialisation and got new numbers.

Checking the camera database I see K5's just a few number away from mine built end jan early feb which would match is correct for the serial.

So I think my camera was sent back through the production line got serialised around end jan and was delivered to me early march along with other users who got end Jan build machines.

I know initially Pentax didn't realise that the stain grew with heat so visually checked a number of units for replacement these boxes had a blue circle on them to show stain free , My 2nd stained unit was one of these :(
This is why I bought an extended warranty from B&H for mine. The first camera didn't show stains for 3+ months but I was using LV quite a bit. I'm a little over a month into the second one but haven't used LV as much. The second one has a manufacture date of 12/19 is one of the circled box cameras. Right now though, I'm not worried about stains. Only worried about what to use this fine camera on. Even if it's The Hound, it gets used daily. Now that the the novelty of the new camera has worn off however, I'm not taking 100s of shots per day either. The camera does however, remain turned on the entire time I have it with me for shooting (sometimes many hours per day) as I have the auto shutoff disabled.

04-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Thanks Awaldram, that makes sense. Mine is a 39XXX # but was Mfg in January, so now I understand why some were made earlier.

Jeff......I'm not sure the new will ever wear off of my K5. It never wore off my K20D, but his is a whole new ballgame! You post your Hound (love him!) and I'll post my Squirrels (love them!) and just keep on truckin'!
Best Regards!
04-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #36

Photos: Albums
Bought mine in October 2010. It is stained which is *excelent*!

Now I have 100 pixels less to worry about.

...and some 16 299 900 left which is still too much for me to handle...

I'll send my K-5 to Pentax for a fix next month and will certainly enjoy making photos with my film SF7! Braise yourself old guy!
04-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #37

Serviced or Not Serviced

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Hi Rupert

I know initially Pentax didn't realise that the stain grew with heat so visually checked a number of units for replacement these boxes had a blue circle on them to show stain free , My 2nd stained unit was one of these
I could be wrong (perish the thought) but I believe PhotoMe shows whether or not the camera has been serviced. According to my beliefs...my K5 has not been serviced (serviced bit not set), either that or it has been serviced twice?... and shows the build date as well.

Last edited by jessecad; 08-05-2011 at 10:39 AM.