Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

LCD Display issue

I searched the forum and could not find an issue similar to mine.

I just received my replacement k-5 in the mail. The first had the sensor spotting. The new one does not appear to.

What I notice about the new camera's LCD: it does not seem to fit completely flush on the right hand side- there is a very small ridge as if it not seated all the way. Also, when viewing the menus, numbers in the middle of the display are corrupted slightly- some of the pixels are garbled. Not enough to keep my from reading the display, but enough to bug me on a $1600 camera. I'll upload photos, but should I send this one back too? I love the camera and certainly don't relish being without it for another 5-6 weeks! Anyone else having similar issues?

03-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This sounds like damage due to transportation, but some photos would definitely help diagnose it for sure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it back
03-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I can sympathize with you for having to be without a camera for a while, but no way would I keep that one.

03-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #5

Original Poster

Here's a picture. Its not too bad, but still...

(update) Well that link doesnt work...
03-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by velingara Quote
I searched the forum and could not find an issue similar to mine.

I just received my replacement k-5 in the mail. The first had the sensor spotting. The new one does not appear to.

What I notice about the new camera's LCD: it does not seem to fit completely flush on the right hand side- there is a very small ridge as if it not seated all the way. Also, when viewing the menus, numbers in the middle of the display are corrupted slightly- some of the pixels are garbled. Not enough to keep my from reading the display, but enough to bug me on a $1600 camera. I'll upload photos, but should I send this one back too? I love the camera and certainly don't relish being without it for another 5-6 weeks! Anyone else having similar issues?
Call and send it back! The real weather-sealing is around the LCD. The LCD is pressed against the sealing. The LCD cover protects the LCD but sometimes fails to stop water from entering. Then your only defense is the LCD seal which you don't have. Its a serious issue nothing to blow off or wait to be fixed. If you wait Pentax might say you dropped it. It sounds like someone allready did drop it. Can you imagine having a $1600 camera that was dropped? No....... do it now.

Trust me its painfull waiting but you will be so happy with a defect free camera for a much longer time than the wait.
03-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
I didnt even consider the weather sealing. I'll start the process to send it back tomorrow. And two photography classes coming up the next two weekends!

03-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, my LCD cover isn't flush with the body either. I don't know if it is supposed to be or not. I don't think it's that big a deal.
The corrupted screen, however, would warrant a replacement.