Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #31

I agree this is a thread to be ignored, but only after some of the Aussies here explain what heck this means! I mean, why the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks can't we use language we all understand...
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Fair suck of the sauce bottle
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Fair suck of the saveloy

03-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
More i read this message in original language (french), more i think than it's a 5 YO kid talking about his new toy.

Trop de bruit ? (too much noise ?) Rafale horrible (awfull burst mode)... lol : troll.

Don't loose your time guys, stop feeding that troll.

Or it is posted for pure sarcasm. I haven't lost any time but I may Lose time, if I continue reading these forums. Then again, my time constraints are fairly loose.

03-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Or it is posted for pure sarcasm
That's a good point, some forms of humor don't travel well on the internet; on re-reading the OP could have been trying to be facetious, and it was lost in the translation engine? I'll cut him some slack...
03-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
I agree this is a thread to be ignored, but only after some of the Aussies here explain what heck this means! I mean, why the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks can't we use language we all understand...
Aussie slang can be very difficult to translate (even for aussies) as the same saying can have different meanings in different area codes.

fair suck of the sauce bottle,

the versions I know are basically like saying "you've got to be joking"
and "give us a fair go"

03-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #35
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Otis has a question for you.....have you been drinking? Otis was drinking here at ISO 3200, but claims he can't tell much difference when he drinks at ISO 200. Otis drinks really good stuff, but thinks maybe you got a bottle of "Rot-Gut" that is causing some brain damage? He is very concerned that you have a serious condition and advises that you seek help immediately before you bungle around someplace and get yourself injured......like here!

Otis likes to keep his drinking water sanitized with a few ounces of Vodka....just for sanitary purposes, you understand!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards! & Send that K5 back so someone will get to give it the Happy Home it deserves!
03-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did Otis show up again? Is he going to do the right thing and make an honest woman squirrel of her?
03-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eh, first, I did not start this thread using a separate account, I swear.

I did laugh my ass off though. Nearly the same set of guys all over again. I think that you guys got hooked (again?). Majority of the responses and the type of responses were what the original poster was looking to get for his amusement.

The noise thing. As smc showed, there is no argument there. Especially if you shoot wildlife, high ISO performance will allow you to go with a higher shutter speed. They only stay still for a very short period at a time. If you shoot with an extremely long tele, this may be even more of an advantage for obvious reasons.

Then I got curious about this video thing, which I know absolutely nothing about. I have not used not once the video mode on my K-7. I actually got scared for a second that perhaps 645D had a video mode. Thank Buddha that there was no such a thing.

So 32 Gb to shoot for 10 min? Wow. That is a lot files. Nearly 200 Gb for an hour long footage. I don't think that commercial shooters would like that. If the poster was expecting a commercial level video camera performance, that is dumb.

Live View not being a default for a video mode does sound superbly retarded though. But then, how long is the battery going to last when recording 3.2 Gb of info every minute while running continuously in the Live View mode? I am sure that if you shot video for a living, you probably laugh at that. But as someone said, this is not a video camera.

Unable to adjust film speed (ISO) therefore having to automatically adjust within the same series . . . Is that what he is saying? I think I understand it, but not sure if doing that correctly. If ISO is set at the beginning of the footage, and then you pan across to an area with more light, and ISO not being adjusted. Hm . . . Yes I think this can be a problem, and I think I see some of that in the video that was posted. For example, a varying degree of over exposure in the background within the same series - I think they are there.

So I am wondering what the criteria or the definitions of commercially adequate quality in video shooting. I am sure that this has changed tremendously with the arrival of HD. Optical quality was probably not often a primary concern, because the devices used to view the output were not good enough. Optically, DSLR set up is infinitely superior than most of the video cameras out there. Shot with a fast prime with good footwork cannot possibly be beat by a tiny zoom, even if it was carl zeiss. So I am guessing that optical performance is just another part, important it may be, but not majority of it as in stills. I dunno.

So I don't think that DSLR and Video have merged, although they look like they are beginning to. I dunno. But at this point in the game, buying a DSLR and expect a commercial video quality is silly. I am certain that he doesn't own K-5 (lol).

Last edited by Fontan; 03-26-2011 at 09:17 AM.
03-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
So I don't think that DSLR and Video have merged, although they look like they are beginning to. I dunno. But at this point in the game, buying a DSLR and expect a commercial video quality is silly. I am certain that he doesn't own K-5 (lol).
Yep, it's like buying a smart phone and complaining that the camera features and picture quality don't match that of a DSLR.
03-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I have no problems with the video mode for the K-5, it is definitely not as well featured as other camera's but I don't buy a camera for video.. as long as you put in a little practice manual focusing, you have no problem. using my 43mm Ltd, I can use my right hands middle finger to manual focus while holding the cam. Almost as easy as a point and shoot.
03-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #40

So 32 Gb to shoot for 10 min? Wow. That is a lot files. Nearly 200 Gb for an hour long footage
I think the ten minute limit has to do with the file format, which allows for a maximum of 2 Gb per file. You have to re-start every ten minutes, but you can fit more on a 32 Gb card.

For events and interviews, it's not good, but for most every day video, or if you're shooting a real scripted video ten minutes is a really long shot.
03-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
I think the ten minute limit has to do with the file format, which allows for a maximum of 2 Gb per file. You have to re-start every ten minutes, but you can fit more on a 32 Gb card.

For events and interviews, it's not good, but for most every day video, or if you're shooting a real scripted video ten minutes is a really long shot.
See, I know nothing about video. Thanks for that. Now this format theng. Are there many different formats in videos? And if so why so many? Is one superior in one way over another (ie easier to edit or faster to buffer or some crap like that)? What is the format that is commercially accepted?
03-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #42
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I don't know why you guys feel the K-5 is not strong in video.
Take a look at the following video clips (in Mandarin) and you'll know why the K-5 rocks... take a look at the swimming pool shot with the DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM... WR folks...
The shoot was sponsored by the Pentax agent for Malaysia.

Making of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM6Gng4j0ao
O my god, the AF isn't even working when you are shooting in a pool.

I love that videowork, amazing when you don't have to worry about your gear.
03-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See, I know nothing about video. Thanks for that. Now this format theng. Are there many different formats in videos? And if so why so many? Is one superior in one way over another (ie easier to edit or faster to buffer or some crap like that)? What is the format that is commercially accepted?
Most camcorders that take HD video use some form of AVCHD which is a much compressed from the Mjpeg (avi) format which pentax uses on their cameras. AVCHD files require much more computer power to process. I have difficulty watching my brother's Canon native files on my computer without converting them first, whereas the K7 files play just fine with the appropriate codec. On the other hand, AVCHD takes up a lot less space than do the AVI files.
03-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #44

Are there many different formats in videos?
The number and types of video codex was enough to drive me crazy - and back to still photography.
03-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Eh, first, I did not start this thread using a separate account, I swear.
I swear that I was just about to post that perhaps you had done just such a thing.