Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5 and lenses are here, first impression and images! Woohoo!

Hello everyone! The K5 arrived on Thursday and I had a chance to take a few photos today.

I ended up getting three lenses, not two as my other thread originally suggested. Thanks for all the recommendation folks. So without delay, the three lenses are ... DA21, FA43 and FA100 WR!

I am super impressed with the build of the K5 and all three lenses. First thought about the K5 -- it's bigger than I thought. I've seen photos comparing the GH2 and K5, and the K5 appeared to be not too much larger than the GH2. Put them side by side in front of me, and reality sets in. It looks larger and it definitely feels larger. I'd say the K5 is more close in size to the Nikon D7000 than the GH2. That being said, the ergonomics of the K5 are awesome for the most part. So thankful for the ISO button right next to the shutter!

The build of the DA21, FA43 and FA100 are awesome too. The two Ltd lenses remind me of the build of some of my Voigtlander M lenses. Total metal construction, solid, and the slide on cap lined with felt. The screw on hood on the FA43 is one ugly thing though, just like the Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5, which also has the slide on cap lined with felt!

The lens that impressed me the most was the FA100 WR. I can't believe Pentax didn't put a * or Ltd on its name. Even though it's three inches in length, its diameter is small, and it's very light. But it's the construction that is most impressive. Solid metal, black matte color, smooth as silk. Very Leica-like construction.

Anyway, more thoughts on the lenses and camera some other time. Here are the first few photos that I took (other than the testing for front focus). All photos taken in RAW and processed in Lightroom 3.3.

Thanks again for everyone and their tips on the lenses! Haven't quite figured out if I'll keep all three lenses, but will keep y'all posted.

PS: I haven't installed 1.03 yet. Still running 1.01, but did test for front focus issues in low tungsten lighting. I didn't see anything significant. Have not tested for stains yet.
=================

K5 + FA43

K5 + FA43

K5 + FA43

K5 + FA43

K5 + FA43

K5 + FA43

K5 + FA100 WR Macro

Focus point was the thingies in the middle of the tulip ... not sure what that's called! Thank you Pentax for SR as this was a handheld macro.

03-26-2011, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice!
Congratulations on your new camera btw.
03-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice shots, it's hard to pull that 43mm off the K-5 isn't it? I get my 18-135 out pick up the K-5 with 43mm on it.. put the 18-135 back. Probably would be different if I had the 100Macro instead though.. something with some sharpness to it.
03-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your new camera and lenses.

03-26-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you'll be using that camera a lot more than you have any previous camera you've owned as the K-5 is very addictive and should come with warning messages.
03-26-2011, 01:33 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You went all out didn't you? Congrats on the new camera and lenses. If I haven't said it before, Welcome to the Club!

.... and yes, The DFA 100mm f2.8 1:1 WR definitely has a limited type build and quality to it.

03-26-2011, 05:33 AM   #7

Glad you are enjoying the new camera. Fantastic photos. Just got mine from Henry's on Monday. Had to use it in a shoot yesterday for cross border Hockey tournament between Canada and the USA. Used my Pentax 10-17mm fisheye to take in a photos of 986 hockey players, their coaches AND their parents. Photo came out very sharp. What a camera. You are right, it is really nice having that ISO button next to the shutter release. Will let you know how the shoots go. Took a photo of the sensor right off the bat for reference just in case spots start to show up, but they shouldn't as the camera was manufactured February 14, 2011. Will keep in touch. Keep up the good work.

03-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shooting! It's a great camera, and gets better the more you use it and discover its great capabilities! Enjoy and post often, we love to view new shots....at least I do!
Best Regards & Congratulations!
03-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The K-5 and FA limiteds combo is magic... especially the FA43