Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Initial impressions of a K5

Wow!

I got the camera Friday evening and put the new 18-135 lens on it and snapped a few shots in the living room. I was quite impressed with how the camera handled the room. The color looked great and the images were quite a bit sharper. I expected a bit of difference than the K10D, but this was more than I had expected. It feels great in my hands, despite being a touch smaller. I don't have the grip yet, but when I do, it will complete the feel. I really like the 18-135. With the sensor in the K5, you won't miss the extra stop in a faster lens for general shooting. It will make a fine all around GP lens for kids, vacations, etc.

I downloaded the manual prior to getting the camera, so I was ready for the options that faced me, but actually seeing them is a bit overwhelming. Overall, I think it was a step backward in user interface. There is just some things I don't like. One major one right off the bat is putting the green button on the back and the comp button on top. I almost never used the green button, and would rather have the comp button where the green button is. It is just an awkward reach for my finger to hit the comp button to shift things. Other than that, its just a bit confusing with all the buttons scattered around. I like the menus, the larger screen, but its just more cluttered than it used to be. Not enough to send it back tho....

I hope the sun starts to shine again and I can go out and play. Itsnowed here last week and with my work schedule, I know I won't get out on a nice day. I still have the menus and settings to figure out, so I can set it the way I wan't, but thats for play time.

If you are thinking of getting one, don't wait.

03-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on the new camera - I'm sure you will love it, and even more after some familiarisation time. I upgraded from a K20D, and initially also felt a bit awkward with the new button positions. But after a few days I started to find that I preferred the K5 setup, and now the camera feels like an extension of my hands - everything is exactly where I need it, and the common exposure settings are easily adjusted by touch without moving your eye from the viewfinder. I mostly like to use P mode, adjusting shutter speed, aperture and ISO from the base programmed exposure as I need them for specific circumstances. I find the green button falls naturally under my thumb for reversion to base exposure whenever needed. My index finger easily finds either the exposure compensation or the ISO button, with further adjustment of those values with my thumb on the rear e-dial. For me, the ergonomics is pretty much perfect, and I am able to set up and adjust my shots faster and easier than ever before.
03-27-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Col
Veteran Member

Actually for me I tend to forget after pressing ISO or Ev comp which edial to then use! Why the adjustment can't be on both after selecting I don't know. The number of times I've selected Ev and then moved the front edial and have nothing happen....
03-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, I'm sure I"ll get used to it. Its nothing earth shattering, for sure. Maybe its just because its "different". I sure was used to the organization of the K10D. Like you said, it was a natural extension. I'm an electrical engineer in a manufacturing facility, so I"m used to details, but I really like simplicity. Thats the way the K10D was for me. I most likely just need time on it to get used to it.

I only wish I could figure out how to add a few hours to a day so I could play more...

03-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Actually for me I tend to forget after pressing ISO or Ev comp which edial to then use! Why the adjustment can't be on both after selecting I don't know. The number of times I've selected Ev and then moved the front edial and have nothing happen....
Are you aware that you can customize the e-dials to control ISO or EV?
This is shown in page 282 to 285 of the K-5 operating manual.

If for example you shoot using Aperture Priority (Av) Exposure mode, you can customize one e-dial to control the aperture and the other e-dial to perhaps change the EV. In this way you can shoot continuously without your eye leaving the viewfinder and you can fine tune the autoexposure just with a flick of the other e-dial. The K-5 allows each photographer to customize their preferred dial assignments according to their individual requirements, it is that versatile.

Like any new camera, new K-5 uses should allow themselves some time to get accustomed to the button and control placement rather than come to snap judgements that it is not good. Even though we are adaptable, we still need time to adjust before it becomes second nature, obviously some more so than others. Keep using the K-5 and you'll find the controls are very intuitive.
03-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Are you aware that you can customize the e-dials to control ISO or EV?
This is shown in page 282 to 285 of the K-5 operating manual.
Oh yes well aware of the flexibility available, from using the K10 & K20. But seeing that once you've pressed the ISO or EV+/- button there is nothing left to do with the dials but adjust them... so why not make the adjustment available on both... just to save me a Doh moment.
03-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The green button also works for a lot of functions, to bring the setting back either to programmed value, or to midpoint default value. e.g. If you have pressed the EV button, and made some adjustments one way or the other with the rear e-dial, all it takes to get back to 0 is a single press of the green button. Same for many other functions. Again, once you are used to the layout and button positions, it is fast and intuitive.

03-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it does appear that the extra customisation of the K-5 requires some accustomisation
But it really is quite intuitive, and doesn't take long to get used to.