03-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #17

very happy with ggs for kx
03-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Another GGS user, peace of mind.
03-29-2011, 01:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I never used screen protector on my camera before my K7 got a tiny scratch on the back LCD after a few months use. So I bought a GGS for it. Now I'm using the same thing on my K5, so far so good.

03-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Never use one, and never had any marks/scratchs on my LCD screens over many years.
03-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

It is easy enough to get fine scratches to show up over time (jacket zippers or belt buckles, putting down the camera LCD down, camera rubs against another lens in a bag, etc.) The small cost of a glass LCD protector is a worthwhile investment against inadvertent scratches especially if you're gonna have to sell the camera later. Plus it is dead easy to clean off grease marks and it doesn't degrade the view of the LCD. Only thing to note is the adhesive is very strong so some care is needed during installation. After that, it's fit and forget.
03-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #22
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've only got one (generic clear adhesive type) for when I know I'm off on more rugged adventures I'm likely to get some scuffing occurring...

Otherwise, I agree with most others in that it is not as useful as intuitively thought.

03-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #23
bxf
Veteran Member

While we're on the subject, I may as well ask. Given that some of these screen protectors can have adhesives that are quite stubborn, are they necessarily meant to be removable? I gently pried the corner of the plastic protector on my K20D before selling it, to see if I could remove it. It didn't look as if it was going to cooperate, so I didn't persist. Perhaps I needed to try harder, but if the protector is NOT removable, then what's the point? The LCD may not have any scratches, but they are still there for you to see - "forever".
03-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
It is easy enough to get fine scratches to show up over time (jacket zippers or belt buckles, putting down the camera LCD down, camera rubs against another lens in a bag, etc.) The small cost of a glass LCD protector is a worthwhile investment against inadvertent scratches especially if you're gonna have to sell the camera later. Plus it is dead easy to clean off grease marks and it doesn't degrade the view of the LCD. Only thing to note is the adhesive is very strong so some care is needed during installation. After that, it's fit and forget.
I can see thats use for some people, but here its not very often you will see me wearing a jacket so no need to worry about zippers or buckles and in the camera bag my LCD doesnt touch any thing except the bag's soft lining and even if the lenses were touching it wouldnt matter as they are all kept in their soft pouch's in the bag.
03-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
While we're on the subject, I may as well ask. Given that some of these screen protectors can have adhesives that are quite stubborn, are they necessarily meant to be removable? I gently pried the corner of the plastic protector on my K20D before selling it, to see if I could remove it. It didn't look as if it was going to cooperate, so I didn't persist. Perhaps I needed to try harder, but if the protector is NOT removable, then what's the point? The LCD may not have any scratches, but they are still there for you to see - "forever".
It's a delicate balance, innit? I believe that most protectors are difficult but not impossible to remove, and the protector will most likely be destroyed in the process.
03-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #26

I would like a true matte protector, such as the anti-glare film set made by Power Support for the iPhone. It doesn't show fingerprints, doesn't reflect light, yet doesn't really cut down significantly on the transmission through it. Has anyone seen something such as that?
03-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #27
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Balog Quote
It's a delicate balance, innit? I believe that most protectors are difficult but not impossible to remove, and the protector will most likely be destroyed in the process.
I'd say that losing the protector upon removal is the cost of insurance, but it would be useful to know in advance which protectors are removable and which are not. If the latter, then again, there's no point.
03-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I can see thats use for some people, but here its not very often you will see me wearing a jacket so no need to worry about zippers or buckles and in the camera bag my LCD doesnt touch any thing except the bag's soft lining and even if the lenses were touching it wouldnt matter as they are all kept in their soft pouch's in the bag.
You're must be a careful guy or lucky.
I didn't think much about an LCD protector in the past until I noticed that my old K20D had a small hairline scratch from it knocking against my riveted jeans on a rough and bouncy offroad trip on.
03-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
I would like a true matte protector, such as the anti-glare film set made by Power Support for the iPhone. It doesn't show fingerprints, doesn't reflect light, yet doesn't really cut down significantly on the transmission through it. Has anyone seen something such as that?
Yeah you can use those matte non-reflecting screens for the iPad or iPhone and cut to size. Works the same and easily found at mobile phone accessory shops.
03-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
if the protector is NOT removable, then what's the point? The LCD may not have any scratches, but they are still there for you to see - "forever".
I guess you totally miss the point... which is, the protector won't have any scratches, ever. That's why people use them. I mean the useful protectors like GGS.