Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the K5 af well in Tungsten light even with new firmware?

I own a K-r. I love the outdoor landscapes pics i get from my K-r. That is what I mainly do but, I'm still new and want to explore other kinds of photography. I'm interested in portraits, low light street and macro photography. Previously, my cam went to CRIS for repair. Its spot on in anything but tungsten light. I tried manual focusing and indicators are not any good with fast lenses. I missed a lot of shots at my family's place on vacation. Although, Live view is accurate. I was hoping to get that firmware update before I left. I read these forums everyday and the other forums as well (waiting).I'm contemplating on getting a K-5 which will give me more MP, dynamic range, faster af, solid body, custom settings and flash trigger. I here about K5 trouble with low light/tungsten af too. If Pentax isn't going to admit to this issue for my K-r, should I just buy a D7000 and be done with it. I could but FF compatible lenses and be future proofed, knowing I'll always have available gear at local shops. Talk me out of thinking about this and tell me why. I need advice.

03-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #2

Original Poster
Are these issues affecting K5 owners who shoot live bands, weddings or street photography?
03-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
No opinions? I guess all is good with the new firmware update then.
03-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
No opinions? I guess all is good with the new firmware update then.
I'm not sure that is a good assumption based on not getting any replies to your thread in less than two hours.

There are a couple hundred opinions on this topics in several other threads as the debate has been on going since the new firmware was released a couple weeks ago. Some people are happy with the AF performance with v1.03, some feel it helped but has not fixed the issue entirely, and some feel v1.03 did very little to help at all.

03-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had my original K-5 replaced because 1.03 did not fixthe issue. my repalcement K-5 came with 1.01 and front focussed. I updated to 1.03 and it did ( by and large ) fix the issue.
03-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
I guess I'll wait it out a lil longer and see. I really want one! @ smeggypants glad to hear positive fixes for your K5 with 1.03. I want to get a nice macro Sigma 105-150mm, Tamron 17-50mm and eventually some Limiteds. I just dont wanna invest without reassurance. My K-r isn't 100% and still waiting on firmware update. I don't wanna sell it with flaws either. I must wait more. Thanks for the replies!
03-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This issue is unfortunately variable.
I seem to be happy with my K-5, but others aren't. Now that could be from differing expectations, or from real differences in AF performance in low light. I think the latter is a firm probability. The firmware has helped some, and not others. My own K-5 can FF if pushed hard enough, but I just don't see the 1 in 10 or 20 misfires as a major problem under EV2 lighting. I rarely shoot under those conditions, but may do in the future. It's all so varied but you may as well go for a serious test drive if you really want a K-5.