Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
A-z
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ProgMtl Quote
I currently own a K-x and am pretty happy with it. I want to upgrade to either of the above for a lot of reasons (WR & viewfinder focal points being 2 of them).

I'm planning on keeping my K-x. I shoot almost exclusively outside (except for indoor shots of my 6 mo. old granddaughter).

I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on whether the K-5 is worth the extra $$ over the K-7? Would like some pros & cons as to why/why not.

Thanks
I'm in the same boat - looking to keep my k-x with its good DR and high iso, but looking for a WR body.

I'm seriously looking at the K200D/K10D as everything I've seen from this sensor looks great! There's a thread going on at the moment showing love for the K200D...

Looks to be an easy (cheap) way of getting a great WR body.

I do like to print A3 - will the 10mp sensor cut it?

04-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes the K-5 is more expensive when compared to the discontinued K-7 but I personally think it makes more sense to get the K-5 straight off because fine as the K-7 is, you'll eventually fork out more money to eventually get the superior features of the K-5. The value of a used K-7 isn't great given that many K-7 users have already gravitated towards the superior K-5. In my opinion the K-5 makes for a better keeper camera for those who are thinking of longer term ownership.
04-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Ive done a3 prints from the k200d and they have came out great.
04-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was in the same boat; as a K-x/K20D user, I was debating whether to go for a K-5 or settle for a K-7 for now.

I don't have an extensive collection of high quality glass but after I analyzed my photographs that I've taken over a year or two, I realized there was less than 5% that were shot at over ISO 800. And I didn't remember ever running short on FPS!

It was a no-brainer so I got a K-7 recently from a forum member and have been extremely happy with it, although I give no assurances that I won't go for a K-5 as soon as my mind tricks me into believing that I can afford it :-)

And what does a good a3 print from a k200d have to do with the price of fish?

04-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #20
A-z
Forum Member

Price of fish in china affects everything now!

Didn't mean to swerve the thread away, just that the OP was looking for WR and focal points, and has a k-x, so is in exactly the same position as me...

I'm really looking for a sealed body so I can go out in the rain, damp, dust and not have to think about it.

As much as i'd love a k-5 right now, i reckon i'll save a thousand dollars and get a k200/k10 for the weather seals - keep the k-x for high iso/faster quick af/dr, etc...

Not that i'll save the $1000... everything i've read on this lovely forum leads me to conclude that the lens far and away more important than the body, so that's where my limited funds shall go
04-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yes, I understand the DxO data and know this sensor upgrade is nothing short of tremendous, however despite this data in real terms the IQ rendered by the K-7/K20D at ISO 100 is difficult to fault even on a single exposure (as long as it's not a long exposure ), but with tone-mapping it is always possible to gain and exceed the DR of a single K-5 exposure.
Ok, but it's an impractical solution for the moving objects and photos taken without a tripod, I even have useless HDR "boats" photos taken in the shiny day time with tripod (1/60-1/80) because even very invisible wave movements become visible on the photos made the boats blurry. I hope OP can see my point.

Besides that if the camera will be used mostly HDR photos he can buy a K200D or K10D, save money for more lenses and enjoy the CCD sensor color quality.
04-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
And what does a good a3 print from a k200d have to do with the price of fish?
If you read A-z's post at the top of this page, he ask's if k200d can make good A3 prints.

04-05-2011, 05:31 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
If you read A-z's post at the top of this page, he ask's if k200d can make good A3 prints.
the answer on the K10 is yes as well, i've printed a3 from my k10 no issues (I have even printed 20x24 without problem)
04-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ProgMtl Quote
I currently own a K-x and am pretty happy with it. I want to upgrade to either of the above for a lot of reasons (WR & viewfinder focal points being 2 of them).

I'm planning on keeping my K-x. I shoot almost exclusively outside (except for indoor shots of my 6 mo. old granddaughter).

I'm curious as to everyone's opinion on whether the K-5 is worth the extra $$ over the K-7? Would like some pros & cons as to why/why not.

Thanks
I think dgaies really summarized the differences well. I find the K7 more than adequate at low iso, but find it lacking at higher iso, both from a noise and dynamic range stand point.

As to comparisons to older cameras, like the K10 and K200, I find it basically equivalent, but much easier with regard to handling and auto focus than either of those cameras.

Personally, I will probably get a K5 when the price drops enough, but keep my K7 as a back up.
04-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by A-z Quote
I'm in the same boat - looking to keep my k-x with its good DR and high iso, but looking for a WR body.

I'm seriously looking at the K200D/K10D as everything I've seen from this sensor looks great! There's a thread going on at the moment showing love for the K200D...

Looks to be an easy (cheap) way of getting a great WR body.

I do like to print A3 - will the 10mp sensor cut it?
The K10D has some amazing detail at ISO 100 and you will have no problem getting great A3 prints at that sensitivity. I was seriously blown away by pixel-peeping some images I made with that camera when I owned it. At pixel level the sharpness and micro-contrast appeared better than any K-5 pictures I've made so far (but the K-5 has six more megapixels and my lenses aren't generally the best...) Anyway, the problem with the K10D and K200d is at ISO 400 and up, the sensor is a lot less amazing. "Usable", sure, but...
04-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #26

Original Poster
Now you guys have me thinking of changing my mind yet again...thanks!! LOL

As far as the glass that I have (someone asked about 10 posts ago) with the K-x I have the 18-55 & 50-20 kit lenses. I just purchased the 18-55 & 50-200 WR from a forum member and the build quality between the two is amazingly different.

I'm more than likely going to be selling the kit lenses and keeping the K-x, and now am seriously thinking about getting the K-5 again (it may have to wait until after my Yosemite trip in June (which won't be so bad now that I've been given quite a few tips on how to keep my K-x dry while walking the mist trail, etc.).
04-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #27

Original Poster
Now I've been looking at the K20D...I like that it's also WR and even more that it's bigger than the K-5 & K-7 (I have quite large hands so that is pretty appealing).

Any opinions on this for outdoor & landscape shooting compared to the K-7? I'm keeping the K-x for indoor & low light applications.
04-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I haven't shot with the 20, I have with the 10 (same form factor) and the 7. Though I liked the 10 a lot, the 7 is a far nicer camera to shoot with, and aside from iso performance differences to the k20, I think outperforms it in every respect. The other consideration is if you think you may grab a 5 in a year or 2 to replace the kx and move the 7 to secondary status then accessories like a grip will be in common (i almost bought a 20 for that reason, but the 7 won out and i don't regret it a bit
and though i used the 10 with the grip almost all the time, i'm the opposite with the 7, the form factor is so good. My hands aren't huge but they aren't small either and the 10 was definitely comfortable to use. for the first month while i adapted to the layout it was a struggle but now i struggle with the 10. YMMV
(BTW I feel the 7 is much better built, it's like holding a brick)
04-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #29
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I consider the K20D the same in sensor output as the K-7, just without the video mode.
It's built like a tank and firm in the hand. Moving to the K-5 to me has been somewhat liberating for low light applications, but won't suddenly transform your landscape photography as you'd rarely need to shoot at ISO 1600 or greater in that setting (unless you're doing some dramatic low light photography). I'd just suggest to avoid exposures of longer than 15secs with the K20D as long exposure noise creeps in significantly thereafter.
04-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by A-z Quote
looking to keep my k-x with its good DR and high is
Just use the plastic shopping bag technique when it rains,