04-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-5 Shutter No Activation With Manual Focus

Updated with latest firmware.
Using Apecture Ring: Permitted.
Cam set at AFS.
FA* lens shift to manual focus. Focus confirm with indicator & beep sound.
Shutter did not activates.
This does not happen to my K-7.
When K-5 set to MF, the shutter does activates.
Anyone having same problem with their K-5 with A or FA lens in manual focusing?

04-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Just tried it out and I didn't have any issues on my K-5. Tried to replicate what you described with the FA*85, the focus ring in the MF position and the AF switch on the body set to AF-S.
04-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I haven't checked on a K5 but on k10 that would be sort of a focus trap function, it will not release shutter unless you also have the green focus confirmation at the same time.
04-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's how my K20D has always worked......I assume my K5 does too, but haven't checked it yet? When shooting manual, I always use the manual switch.....isn't that what it is for?
Regards!

04-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Custom Menu item #25 turns the "Catch in Focus" option on, although by default it's off. If you have it on, then the shutter won't release until there is focus confirmation (as far as I understand the feature).
04-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

There's nothing like reading a manual is there? Someday I'm going to give it a try myself!
Regards & Thanks!
04-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

If the camera is in AFS, you need to have achieved focus (according to the camera) before it will release.

04-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If the camera is in AFS, you need to have achieved focus (according to the camera) before it will release.
Only if "catch-in-focus" is turned on (on the K-5, custom item 25).

If "catch-in-focus" is off, which is actually the default setting, then you can release the shutter with a MF lens (or an AF lens set to MF) while in AF-S mode regardless of whether focus is achieved.
04-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Catch in focus seems to be the issue.
Even slight movements such as camera shake can shift the focus confirmation off the mark and not permit you to release the shutter. If, however, you hold the shutter button down in this mode, the shutter should release once it instantaneously achieves focus.
04-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Only if "catch-in-focus" is turned on (on the K-5, custom item 25).

If "catch-in-focus" is off, which is actually the default setting, then you can release the shutter with a MF lens (or an AF lens set to MF) while in AF-S mode regardless of whether focus is achieved.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Catch in focus seems to be the issue.
Even slight movements such as camera shake can shift the focus confirmation off the mark and not permit you to release the shutter. If, however, you hold the shutter button down in this mode, the shutter should release once it instantaneously achieves focus.
Yes, it was the "catch-in-focus" which was turned on.
As Ash mentioned, the shutter will release when achieved focus, but this hardly happens due to slight camera movement and sometimes if does release, the image is OFF also due to movement during shutter release.
Now I turned the "catch-in-focus" to default setting.
Thank you guys.
Ben