Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quick Question?

Every shot I take ( in jpeg and Raw dng), I find there is a delay in the instant playback on the rear screen. I would expect this may be rightfor RAW, but jpeg?
Instead, for 4 or 5 seconds, an hourglass icon appears, then followed by the picture.
My K5 didn't always do this, and despite much effort I have not been able to work out why this happens. It does become very annoying.

Has anybody got any answers,
. why it appears?
. how to turn it off?

Thanks guys (and gals)

04-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Quick answer:
Try a different SD card.
04-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Slow SD card could be an issue. Also, remember that even when you shoot jpeg, the camera has to convert the raw data into the jpeg, so I would expect the same delay either way.
04-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also make sure lens correction is turned off...that takes a while...probably should be done on the computer instead, but I forget whether the Pentax RAW developer software supports it...

04-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. Much appreciated.
04-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Every shot I take ..., for 4 or 5 seconds, an hourglass icon appears, then followed by the picture.
That looks like in-camera PP.

Do switch off all lens distortion correction, high ISO correction and other in-body post-processing...

The delay is linked with the CPU processing time and has nothing to do with the photo format (RAW or JPEG) or card, as long as your card is fast enough (eg class 6 and above).

Personally I switch off all in-camera PP and prefer to PP the photographs afterwards on computer.

Hope that the comment will help.

Last edited by hcc; 04-03-2011 at 02:35 PM.
04-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Most certainly does., thanks.

04-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So was it the lens correction or the SD card Bruce?
04-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Corrections would be my bet. Highlight and shadow corrections, CA corrections, Lens corrections, etc. To decide if you want to leave them on or not (mine are all turned off) try an A B test where the identical scene is corrected while the other is not. Just shooting straight RAW+ (I use PEF) and the other with the corrections turned on. Then compare the resulting JPGs. Mine are all turned off. I've never seen that hourglass, only the flickering card access light.

04-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I suggested SD card because he mentioned that the issue happens both shooting jpeg and RAW, and things like filters and such aren't available in RAW.
But now I checked on the camera, and CA and lens distortion corrections are both enabled in RAW also, which I forgot. Actually, enabling them quite expectedly slows down acquisition for 4-5 secs, showing the hourglass icon.
I usually shot with all corrections off, since I usually prefer PP, and additionally CA is usually not much of an issue and I do LIKE lens distortions. Only when I shoot with the 10-17 Pentax fisheye, which suffers from significative CA, I turn on CA correction.
04-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #11

Unplug unnecessary. For example, correction of distortion and chromatic aberration in the camera.