Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Good high iso cameras like the K5 and D7000 are going higher in price, IMO. Supply and demand. Pentax has already indicated they will be slow in getting out the FF fix for Kr, Nikon had the full frame factory damaged so FF channel will dry up, there is probably a lot of part impacts we don't know about. The k5 is too good to keep it a secret.

Last edited by philbaum; 04-03-2011 at 06:31 PM.
04-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #17

US Dollar is down

Also the US dollar hit an all-time low against the Yen. Even the Canadians and Aussies are laughing at us!

The US economy seems to be going the way of the European PIGS.

Mike
04-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Pentax K-5 on varaa nostaa vähän tuottaja hintoja, on meinaan hinta laatusuhteessa vähän varaa. Mitä hyödymme tästä, seuraavan mallin kehittämissee jää enemmän rahaa.
04-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Us old retired folks on fixed incomes are like that
Food is "sorta" optional.. always somewhere you can cut and make sacrifices

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
Also the US dollar hit an all-time low against the Yen. Even the Canadians and Aussies are laughing at us!

Mike
Thats because we Canadians don't have a population that is well beyond a self supportive infrastructure.. our food supply is starting to get there though. But regardless how well an economy does, it only takes one group of bankers to loan out more than they are ever caring to collect back, sell the company and skip the country!

04-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #20
Forum Member

Got mine 2 days ago for $1399 at Amazon. I pulled the trigger because my sense is that prices will go up further before coming down due to that little Japan problem and $ value as others have said.
04-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, my order is in.
Yesterday I found a "used like new" K-5 body on Amazon's warehouse deals for $1,110.
Sold, and shipped free, by Amazon.
I assume no warranty, so I will be giving it the twice over.

Knock on wood, I've always had very good luck with used cameras, going up the ladder from a
K1000, Super Program, to my current K10.
My only new slr was a SF1.

Wish me luck!
04-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Well, my order is in.
Yesterday I found a "used like new" K-5 body on Amazon's warehouse deals for $1,110.
Sold, and shipped free, by Amazon.
I assume no warranty, so I will be giving it the twice over.
Good luck! Check with Pentax USA about warranty service for an issue like stains on the sensor... as they will probably cover it regardless of whether you are the first owner or not, since it is still within the first year (and it was a known "recall" of a kind). Might even be the reason for the first owner's return... YMMV!

04-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Prices seem to be stable in Australia, in fact one store (online and bricks & mortar) has dropped the price by about $30 lately. (The Aussie dollar is about as high against the US$ as it has ever been, I'm not sure about the rate against the Yen).
BUT my son (who shoots Canon, but I still talk to him!!) just sold his 50mm f1.8 intending to buy 50mm f1.4, only to see the price of the 1.4 go up $170 overnight! Apparently Canon and Nikon have both removed their 'price support' because of the Japanese disaster.
If Pentax can maintain current prices, it might make the competition a lot more even. It might even encourage retailers to actually stock Pentax.
04-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
It might even encourage retailers to actually stock Pentax.
But what about the cult status if Pentax becomes mainstream?
04-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote

Mike
Mike, we are not laughing at you! A lot (most?) of our mineral export contracts are written in US$ and it makes a big difference to our export income when the greenback drops!

btw What is the reference to PIGS?
04-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Mike, we are not laughing at you! A lot (most?) of our mineral export contracts are written in US$ and it makes a big difference to our export income when the greenback drops!

btw What is the reference to PIGS?
Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Spain

4 EU countries with rather rocky economies at the mo.

In fact, I saw a very good cartoon in Private Eye today (a UK satire mag) which said
"there's two types of economy in the EU at the moment - those that are broke, and Germany"

Edit - I notice that the price of the K5 is ever so slightly up over here in the UK too - £1,079 with 18-55 - it was £1,049 when I bought mine about a month or so ago (pre-tsunami)
04-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #27

US Economy is slip sliding away....

Yep - four broke European countries, plus the USA as well.

Maybe we should rename the acronym USPIGS?

Mike
04-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

All four european countries are bankrupt - more or less.

I checked yesterday with a German photo-dealer - K5 delivery is delayed for more than three weeks - due to the Japan quake - he said.

Lowest price on the european online market is $1,800 for the Twin-Zoom-Kit. $1500 body only.

Joerg
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PIGS. Makes sense.
Thanks for the explanation; the acronym hasn't made it down under yet, as far as I know.

Supply and demand will make everything coming out of japan dearer for a while I think.
If anything that you are going to purchase soon is close to the right price now don't delay.
As for me, I've just got to catch up in ability to match what I already have!
05-15-2011, 04:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I wonder just how much Canadian business is lost to the US because of these huge price discrepancies.

I am eventually going to buy a K5. I am willing to pay a reasonable amount more for direct in store personal contact, and expertise.

I would like to deal with Henry's but their prices are so far out of line compared to the US that I may gamble on mail order from the US.
Henry's lost out 5 years ago when I bought my K100D.

There is also the matter of repair service which I have found to be excellent at Pentax Canada. I don't know about US service.
I must check carefully to balance Pentax Canada's 2 year warranty against the US's one year.
I understand that at least one credit card company offers a free 2 year extended warranty on any merchandise purchased with their card. That bears looking into.

And there is the cost of shipping and handling which might be balanced by the $1.05 Canadian dollar if I buy at the right time.

There may be other factors that I should explore.
What have I omitted?

Mickey