Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
No Confirmation Hexagon Or Beep When Manual Focussing on K-5

Hi

There's a big thread going on here, but I won't interrupt it even though this is related.

I've recently bought my first manual focus lens, an M85/2, and I'm finding it difficult to focus by eye.

Reading the other thread, I realised I wasn't watching the focus confirmation indicator, so I tried again and it never appeared, no matter how slowly I turned the focus ring. I'd turned the beep off, so I turned that on but no beep either.

Then I mounted my FA77 in AF, and got the confirmation and the beep.

Have I missed a setting somewhere?

I'm in Manual, I enter the focal length when the camera is turned on, I hold the shutter half down, and turn the focus ring. Nothing.

Any other suggestions?

Rich

04-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

Try holding the AF button on the back when focusing or holding the shutter release half-way in. Also, the camera can only confirm focus on the central point, so make sure there's something to focus on in the center of the frame (i.e. a blank wall is not gonna work)
The camera should beep/show hexagon when in focus.
04-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you set the custom menu function "Use Aperture Ring" to Permitted?

99% of the newbies and even some of the old pros miss that one.

04-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

With your help, I've worked it out:

I'd disabled auto focus on the shutter release, and had it on the AF button only, so the only way the hexagon/beep "appeared" was when holding the AF button down. The shutter release had no affect.

Maybe this will help someone else.

Rich

04-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Ei ole hyvä, kun kamera ei toimi. Eikä näytä olevan sekään, kun se toimii.
04-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
hahahah the last comment was quite good