Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a great thread, thanks to the contributors!

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Yes, the lens determines the smoothness of what reaches the sensor, but the sensor's interpretation has an impact. I think that the difference between the K-5 and K-7 is greater with respect to color noise than luminosity noise, particularly at higher ISO. Another consideration for K-7 vs K-5 is low-ISO noise. The K-7 has some visible noise even at ISO 100 (when viewed at 100%). The K-5 has virtually no noise at its lowest ISO settings - 80 & 100. I can attest to the K-7 low-ISO noise myself.
Intersting note on the K-7 noise at ISO 100. I've noticed this myself and been a little irked by it. Good to hear this is negligible on the K-5. Have you noticed any banding or fixed pattern noise on the K-5? I can't shoot at or beyond ISO 3200 without seing some pattern noise pop out on my K-7.

04-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Have you noticed any banding or fixed pattern noise on the K-5?
Sorry, I don't yet have the K-5, so I can only personally attest to the K-7 (and the K-x, which had negligible low-ISO noise). From what I've seen in other people's photos, the K-5 is better than the K-x.
04-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
How much does the sensor affect bokeh? It should be mainly a result of the lens.
Pixel-per-pixel there may be some differences, but circles of confusion aside, there shoud not be much difference for the image form a realistic viewing distance.

Is there any real-world difference to be found?
Just curious. I have not heard of the sensor playing a significant part in bokeh.

If you're just looking for noise within smooth areas... just aim at a flat wall and set out of focus.
The only grain you should see is that of the sensor and from the tiny bokeh that the lens aberrations might create.
Take a look at the images and see for yourself. The sensor at higher ISO's does affect color transition in the bokeh.....

and the whole point in the first place was to see the noise patterns better

Last edited by yeatzee; 04-26-2011 at 10:46 AM.