Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Re my comment about "makes the Pentax limited lenses look soft" - I was kidding guys!

But the Summilux 35mm at f1.4 does seem sharper than my FA43 at 1.9.

And given the M9 is 18Mp compared to the K-5 16Mb, that's quite an achievement!

However, nice though the Leica system is, the few hours I spent with it yesterday has confirmed that it is not for me. It would have been nice when I had perfect eyesight, but my eyes were sore from using it and I developed a headache.

Re focusing after AF - can't do it on the FA limiteds, but can do it on the DA limiteds. I find the DA limiteds just as sharp as the FA limiteds, but they have a different "character" - there's already been discussion about the different "look" between DA Ltd and FA Ltd in previous threads ...

But the DA Ltds have never been designed for manual focusing, so they are a bit "twitchy" compared to the Pentax M and A series.

04-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OP
interesting what you had to say about the FW 1.03 update and the AF fine adjust after it was installed.
04-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Okay guys, thanks. Of course, with manual-focus focus confirmation available on the FA lenses, I guess it doesn't matter too much about the lack of "quick shift".

I'll be hopefully purchasing a DA 70mm again soon (I miss it!) and it's good to know "quick shift" will work on that lens if I need it...
You could do what some of us do and hold the lens-release button (conveniently in reach by my right ring finger) to do quick shift on lenses. Pushing that button recesses the focus motor, and of course the mount lock (though I find it isn't a problem except for my 70-200mm with tc).

Of course, I accept no responsibility to broken lenses!

Last edited by Eruditass; 04-26-2011 at 05:45 PM.
04-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought the same thing. My new K-5 I got last week needed a +5 for all after testing. Is a black unit, but serial starts with 4, which a forum member told me is a sign of it belonging to the fresh batch (supposedly the silver editiond start in 4). Wonder if this is a partial attempt to address the FF issue?
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
OP
interesting what you had to say about the FW 1.03 update and the AF fine adjust after it was installed.

04-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #20

Okay guys, thanks. Of course, with manual-focus focus confirmation available on the FA lenses, I guess it doesn't matter too much about the lack of "quick shift". Can I say I really like the MF focus confirmation feature? I really liked it on the Kx too. I have an old SMC-A 28mm f/2.8 that I may have to try out later today...

I'll be hopefully purchasing a DA 70mm again soon (I miss it!) and it's good to know "quick shift" will work on that lens if I need it...
My issue with manual focus on the K-5 is that the focusing screen is a bit off, i.e., when I rely on the focusing screen there is front focus. My focusing screen washers (shims) arrived today and I'll be shortly correcting the issue. Then I'll have to check and see if the focus confirmation lights up at the correct focal plane.
Your K-5 may not have that issue, but it is something to be aware of.
04-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
My issue with manual focus on the K-5 is that the focusing screen is a bit off, i.e., when I rely on the focusing screen there is front focus. My focusing screen washers (shims) arrived today and I'll be shortly correcting the issue. Then I'll have to check and see if the focus confirmation lights up at the correct focal plane.
Your K-5 may not have that issue, but it is something to be aware of.
Was this with the stock screen?
04-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #22

Yes, but it is an issue of the stock washer (shim) as it came with the camera. The screen itself is OK. I've done some tests with my SMC-M 50mm/1.7 & SMC-M 100mm/2.8 on the K-5, and in both cases there is quite noticeable FF at open apertures. I took the washer out, which resulted in BF of about the same margin as with FF. That told me I maybe needed a washer of about half the thickness I currently have installed. I bought a set of various thicknesses. At f8, I might not be all that concerned at longer distances, but then again I rather not have the problem floating in the back of my mind. Anyway, I don't want to get the thread too much off track.

Last edited by Catalana; 04-27-2011 at 12:17 AM.
04-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Okay guys, thanks. Of course, with manual-focus focus confirmation available on the FA lenses, I guess it doesn't matter too much about the lack of "quick shift". Can I say I really like the MF focus confirmation feature? I really liked it on the Kx too. I have an old SMC-A 28mm f/2.8 that I may have to try out later today...

Amy,

I just now realized that you are the one who wrote the K-5 review on Steve Huff's site. I did not make the connection with your moniker "DRabbit." Doh!

Rob
04-27-2011, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Amy,

I just now realized that you are the one who wrote the K-5 review on Steve Huff's site. I did not make the connection with your moniker "DRabbit." Doh!

Rob
*waves*
04-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
Yes, but it is an issue of the stock washer (shim) as it came with the camera. The screen itself is OK. I've done some tests with my SMC-M 50mm/1.7 & SMC-M 100mm/2.8 on the K-5, and in both cases there is quite noticeable FF at open apertures. I took the washer out, which resulted in BF of about the same margin as with FF. That told me I maybe needed a washer of about half the thickness I currently have installed. I bought a set of various thicknesses. At f8, I might not be all that concerned at longer distances, but then again I rather not have the problem floating in the back of my mind. Anyway, I don't want to get the thread too much off track.
I'm going to have to do this too. I moved my Katzeye over to my K5 and it apparently needs a shim. None was needed on my K7. Where did you order your shims from? I know you can get them from Pentax, but do you just order from the main website or what? I would love to know what size you end up using, as that would be the first one for me to try.
04-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Seriously, who gives a hoot what Leica users think. If one has got the money to buy Leica, it shouldn't be a big deal to buy any flagship DSLR on the market.
04-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Seriously, who gives a hoot what Leica users think. If one has got the money to buy Leica, it shouldn't be a big deal to buy any flagship DSLR on the market.
And because they can afford almost any DSLR, it is meaningful when Leica owners take notice of an "off-brand" manufacturer such as Pentax. This leaves aside the fact that most Leica owners shoot rangefinders, not SLRs. Users of both brands tend to be iconoclastic, but the Leica crowd has the means and the willingness to pay for the best, or at least what is best in their own minds. Leica's reputation is based on their lenses. Generally speaking, their cameras have lagged technologically. (No flames, please. I know that their cameras have always been unique and very capable.)

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 04-27-2011 at 06:58 PM.
04-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No flames your way Rob

And Creampuff, don't assume all Leica uses are somehow wealthy. I bought my M8 four years ago and had to sell a whole lot of gear and do a bunch of freelance work to get into it. It didn't "come easy" to me at all, and it was a risk as up to that point I had no experience with rangefinders... but the tactile experience and the great lenses were what turned me on. I've never regretted it. I'd buy an M9 if I could afford to, but it's not likely to happen anytime soon.
04-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

No flames your way Rob

And Creampuff, don't assume all Leica uses are somehow wealthy. I bought my M8 four years ago and had to sell a whole lot of gear and do a bunch of freelance work to get into it. It didn't "come easy" to me at all, and it was a risk as up to that point I had no experience with rangefinders... but the tactile experience and the great lenses were what turned me on. I've never regretted it. I'd buy an M9 if I could afford to, but it's not likely to happen anytime soon.
Amy,

You're, right, it is an unfair generalization to imply that all Leica owners are wealthy. But they are all willing to spend a great deal on their gear. I have much respect for Leica, and I love rangefinders. For 5 years, my main camera was a Contax G2, which is sort of an automated M6. I remember the flame wars that raged between Leica and Contax users as to which system was better. Well, Contax is now defunct, having been euthanized by Kyocera, and Leica is still alive, although I don't know how healthy. The Zeiss Contax G lenses are absolutely superb, but I think that the Pentax FA Limiteds are easily as good. The only way that one could fairly compare the two would be to shoot the Limiteds on a Pentax film camera alongside the Contax, which is not something that I am about to do.

Without a doubt, given my rangefinder background, one of the things that I find most appealing about Pentax is their emphasis on compact, lightweight cameras and lenses. It may be the same with you.

Rob
04-27-2011, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup Rob, that's part of my love for the M8... amazing lenses in a rather compact size... and it is absolutely what drew me to Pentax initially. Matter of fact, if you noticed I said it in the review on Steve's site... my M8 + 50 Nokton weighs nearly identical to the K-5 + FA43.

I can agree with you that Leica owners seem to be willing to spend money on gear. However, in all fairness, I think a LOT of photographers spend a lot of money on gear (especially those of us online in these types of forums). It's not as if the best bodies from Canon and Nikon are cheap... nor their best lenses. And one difference I've noticed in a big way is the need for a lot of non-Leica users to constantly be upgrading and buying new cameras left and right. GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome - I don't think it's exclusive to the Leica crowd. There doesn't seem to be too much fear to spend money for MOST photographers I come across online... I'd even venture a guess to say they spend as much; the difference may be their desire to buy 10 lenses instead of 2. Some of the lists of lenses I've seen people buy are flat out funny they are so long.

What's always interesting to me is that if someone sets out to "buy the best" and they choose the Nikon D3x, no one says they did it because they must have money to throw away and are merely buying it for status (and trust me, I've met those guys who brag about their big dSLR and how much it cost... they are often bigger snobs than the Leica guys! LOL!). However, you WILL hear that sentiment if someone chooses a Leica M9 (which is actually cheaper by about $1000 - as of today on B&H). Given the choice, I'd pick the M9 any day because of my style of shooting, love of M-Glass and rangefinder shooting in general... it would have nothing to do with status.

So, I often think it's unfair to lump all Leica users, or even most of them, into that group of "snobs with money to blow"... especially on a photography forum. It isn't as if this is a forum about collecting cameras.