Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

With the picture of your daughter was the focus mode in AF-S or AF-C? If you're in AF-S and she's moving that would explain the OOF.

04-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Go and buy the book Undertsanding EXposure, I just read it and you will understand what wrong with your photo
04-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The table looks sharp in the first photo.
Really??!! You think that looks sharp?
04-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Based on the first image, looks like there is a FF issue as the focus seem to be on the glasses on the coffee table. Have you tried to use the micro-adjustment on the camera menu to correct this?
You think the glasses and table are in focus?

04-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #20
Forum Member

I also recently bought a K-5 with 18 - 135. I had photos very similar to yours - soft and not quite focused (and this was with firmware 1.03). After fine tuning the auto focus, I get razor sharp pictures. Some people already suggested it, and I will describe how I went about doing it.

To check the auto focus, I took a picture of a curbstone across a street, using the central focus point. It should be easy for the camera to focus on the curb stone if it has some structure (use a casting joint or similar if it is made of smooth concrete), and it should be fairly easy for you to check where the road ahead and sidewalk behind the curbstone goes out of focus. Use the longest 135 setting on your lens, and the largest aperture at that setting (F/5.6), to get the shortest possible depth of focus.

Test, change the fine focus adjustment, and test again. Remember that there is always (for any camera) some degree of variation in the focus system, so when you think that you have found a good setting, take a few more pictures on various things to verify.

Good luck!
04-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Having previously posted my own complaints, similar to yours, I will repeat the advice given above by two others, just for emphasis: if you haven't already done so, perform AF fine adjustment! You will be surprised by the improvement.
How does the AF fine adjustment work? Is per Lens or is Camera based?

What is the procedure for setting the AF fine adjustment?
04-29-2011, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
AF Fine adjustment can be either... for "all lenses" or for individual lenses. I set the +10 adjustment up just for the 43mm.

It's very easy to do... look on page 126 of the user manual. AF Fine Adjustment is in the Custom Settings Menu.