Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
missing lowest ISO setting on K-5 / K-7

hi all

how come i do manage to make use of the lowest ISO settings on K-5 (ISO 80) or K-7 (ISO 100) once in a while (if i spend a lot of time going through the menus or back to the instruction booklet) but can't access either one at will and quickly when i wish so!?

i know those settings are not available in all modes of these two great cameras, but even when i did set my User 1 mode on K-5 as 'slow' with the ISO 80 chosen, now, i can't get that ISO back even in that mode: the camera keeps giving me the Auto ISO range, starting with ISO 160 instead!

any clues please?

thanks
PR

04-29-2011, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
-disable expanded dynamic range in the info screen
-enable expanded iso range in the custom function menu

Then the lowest iso will become available
04-29-2011, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have figured this out too, but here is a different question : Is it better to get ISO 80 or is it better to have expanded range? What do you guys do?
04-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure what you mean Darkness.
Expanded range gives you access to ISO 80.
If it's not in expanded range, the lowest ISO is 100.
If your question is: is it better to use ISO 80 rather than ISO 100? then I would say yes - even though in the past DR had been decreased when using lower ISOs than the base native ISO of a dSLR, DxO reveal that the K-5's DR is further improved going from ISO 100 to ISO 80.

04-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Not sure what you mean Darkness.
Expanded range gives you access to ISO 80.
If it's not in expanded range, the lowest ISO is 100.
If your question is: is it better to use ISO 80 rather than ISO 100? then I would say yes - even though in the past DR had been decreased when using lower ISOs than the base native ISO of a dSLR, DxO reveal that the K-5's DR is further improved going from ISO 100 to ISO 80.
I think the OP is referring to Shadow Correction. The OP should understand that SC applies to jpeg files only. I would probably run with Shadow Correction if shooting jpeg only, but IMHO ISO 80 is rather special for RAW. This confusion over available ISO ranges is coming close to requiring a sticky.
04-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Aha. Thanks. I meant DR ...and Shadow correction. And I thought they referred to the same thing, but now i think they dont, from what you guys are telling me.

So basically, I dont need to worry about Shadow Correction, because it only applies to JPEG. (Didnt know this before).

Also, ISO 80 does mean lower DR, but apparently its negligible enough for me not to worry about.?

Thanks , Ash, Col.
05-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks alot dear Adam.

guess that's what i've done a few times myself too, but keep forgetting it!

handling digital cameras (such as the K-5) with so many options also requires a comfortable and quick mind, which i badly lack these days due to so much work on my head and shoulders!

gotcha write this down on a note and carry around in the camera bag from now on ...

05-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ISO 80 vs ISO higher

to Darkness:

certainly it's a lot better to go down in ISO when more detail as well as true high contrast is needed in a picture. both items yield that extra sharpness all photos taken at ISOs higher than 200 lack.

and even there and then, although K-5 is reportedly great @ ISOs up to even 3200 (tested and it's true) and there's barely a difference in picture's overall quality between ISO 80 and ISO100, but my tests with this beautiful camera have proven to me that ISO 80's results do look different and much sharper, something reminiscent of reversal films such as Kodachrome 25 for example.

as for HDR and/or shadow correction, well, other good friends here have given more than sufficient info.

HDR is however rather tricky to use and it doesn't work as expected under certain conditions but when used rightly, it is great indeed.
03-20-2022, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #9

Ahh
I have gained much knowledge from this thread. I to am stuck at iso 160. Not anymore 👍
08-02-2022, 04:52 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
+1 from me for making this a sticky topic Many thanks for the explanations in this thread.