Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 77 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2015, 02:09 AM   #766

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Aha. Of course the screen in question in this thread is an S-type non-split.
Ah, yes. Sorry to cause confusion - I should probably have started a new thread for this screen. But we may as well keep going now...

I've not used the live view at all. My technique was to take a shot focussed on the midpoint of a ruler, exactly as the screen indicated, and then examine on the pc monitor. It's a bit more time-consuming. I'll have a go with using the live view method.

At the moment, though, my 135/3.5 is the fastest glass I have to hand. When I got this K5 I sent most of my lenses off for CLA - they've been sitting around for a while, as I've not used my Spotmatics for a couple of years. When they get back, I'll have the choice of a 50/2 or an 85/1.8 to use for this. My instinct is to use the longest and fastest I have, so probably the 85mm?

When I get that done, I'll report back. I've got the focusingscreen shims, and I'm almost certain there's no shim at all in there at the moment.

Cheers, all.

06-20-2015, 06:28 AM   #767
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JamieWakeham Quote
Ah, yes. Sorry to cause confusion - I should probably have started a new thread for this screen. But we may as well keep going now...

I've not used the live view at all. My technique was to take a shot focussed on the midpoint of a ruler, exactly as the screen indicated, and then examine on the pc monitor. It's a bit more time-consuming. I'll have a go with using the live view method.

At the moment, though, my 135/3.5 is the fastest glass I have to hand. When I got this K5 I sent most of my lenses off for CLA - they've been sitting around for a while, as I've not used my Spotmatics for a couple of years. When they get back, I'll have the choice of a 50/2 or an 85/1.8 to use for this. My instinct is to use the longest and fastest I have, so probably the 85mm?

When I get that done, I'll report back. I've got the focusingscreen shims, and I'm almost certain there's no shim at all in there at the moment.
Yes, the fastest and the longest that is reasonable to work with -- basically the thinnest DoF. Did you take out the stock shim? Maybe that is still in there (there usually is one). The S-screen and the stock screen are not the same thickness. So unless you stock screen happened to be way off in just the right direction it is unlikely you won't need a shim (a different shim than the stock)...
06-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #768

I didn't see one. But then, I wasn't expecting one, so I might just not have noticed it. I will check when I open it up again - I'll probably leave it for the time being, until I get my lenses back.
09-11-2015, 10:19 PM   #769
Veteran Member

Well, thanks, folks. You all just cost me $80.

I had followed this thread long ago and recently revived my interest in it. My screen (K-30 with AF lines) is on its way. Hopefully I can adapt to any metering issues.

As much as I prefer (current) optical viewfinders, this thread does make a wonderful case for electronic analogues, eh? Imagine if we had a lag-free, adjustable-gain, focus-peaking, tiny-pixel EVF? We could all put the saws and focusing charts away. I don't want to derail this landmark thread into an EVF discussion...just happened to cross my mind as I read 768 posts!

I'll post any follow-up results once I've had a chance to play with the new toy...

11-07-2015, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #770
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have asked Adam to update the desription for the EES screen review as follows:

This screen is one of several made for the full frame Canon EOS 5D and variants/successors. This is the blurb from Canon retail:

QuoteQuote:
The Ee-S Super Precision focusing screen is designed to facilitate manual focusing with high-speed lenses (f/2.8 or faster). The Ee-S screen has finer microlenses than the Ee-A or Ee-D options, along with a steeper parabola of focus to make the image pop in and out of focus more vividly in the viewfinder; however, the Ee-S focusing screen is not recommended for slower lenses because it's not very bright.

This thread has been discussing how to mod the screen to fit Pentax dslr's and its use. This thread is now 50+ pages long so here's some pointers:
-general comments on focusing and metering: early pages and throughout the thread
-diy'ing: posts #43-46, #84, #280
-difference in brightness vs stock screen: post #415.
- EES vs split prism: #570;
- underexposure/metering inconsistencies with EES screen with markings: #657 on.

Note that this is a fresnel design so it is the centre portion of the screen that is used. Users experience generally is that it can accurately render DoF down to f/1.4, and has a near perfect linear response to stop-down metering.

This thread is also informative, and this thread is specifically about use of this screen on the K3.

Also see the reviews for focusingscreen.com S type.

If you think theres something I've missed which is worth mentioning in the description let me know.