Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Eyecup

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello folks,

Well, I'm extremely happy with my K5 and there isn't much to complain about, except the eyecup isn't great, the rubber part mostly. It's not doing a very good of blocking ambient light and I have a lot of trouble reading the green viewfinder information while outdoors in daylight. I remember the stock eyecups on my previous Nikon or Canon cameras to be much better. Not a huge difference from the outside, but they were just a bit deeper and plush and blocked off the light a lot better.

Who has tried some other eyecups on their K5?

I've looked around and I'm not seeing a lot of interesting stuff on eBay. I'm not interested in the magnifying eyecup or anything that adds an extra piece of glass, or those really huge ones, just something that would be a bit deeper and eventually softer.

Thanks.

05-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Suosittelen vaihtamaan nikon tai canon jos ne on parenpia. Ei tarvitse enään valittaa. Itselläni on K-5 se on mailman paras sitä en vaihda, kun samanlaiseen uudenpaan versioon.
05-03-2011, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 30v iPentax Quote
Suosittelen vaihtamaan nikon tai canon jos ne on parenpia. Ei tarvitse enään valittaa. Itselläni on K-5 se on mailman paras sitä en vaihda, kun samanlaiseen uudenpaan versioon.
I'm really not sure I get what you're saying here, something lost in translation, sorry... Anyone else?
05-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the magnifying Pentax eyecup. I took it off my K20D and put it on my K5 almost immediately. It is a subtle difference, but noticeable. I would like to try one with more depth on the rubber flange, it would help in bright light.
Regards

BTW- As for "30V' above, I don't think I ever know just what he is saying, but he has a great Pentax attitude, and I always like that! I doubt he understands what we are saying either......Otis says we often sound a little confused here at PF......

05-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm really after a deeper eyecup (enough to block out light, but no larger), but no extra glass or magnification effect. I think the viewfinder is great as it is, but it does need so more light blocking, at least enough to not be bothered as much when reading the information. The magnifying eyecup from Pentax doesn't seem to be a big improvement in the light blocking department.

I'm thinking of something like this (minus the piece of glass, which can probably be removed), but it would be nice to find something that is a bit less...I don't know...less like basic rubber.

Eye Cup for Pentax ME Super K1000 SPOTMATIC eyecup NEW | eBay
05-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
This one seems alright as well, perhaps a tad large. Doesn't look like too many people have tried after market eyecups...

KPS UCC Eyepiece Eyecup Set for Canon Nikon Pentax Fuji | eBay
05-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have the magnifying Pentax eyecup. I took it off my K20D and put it on my K5 almost immediately. It is a subtle difference, but noticeable. I would like to try one with more depth on the rubber flange, it would help in bright light.
Regards

BTW- As for "30V' above, I don't think I ever know just what he is saying, but he has a great Pentax attitude, and I always like that! I doubt he understands what we are saying either......Otis says we often sound a little confused here at PF......
What can you say about the improvement in light blocking in comparison to the standard one? Is it worth it? Does it allow you to not have to smash your face against the camera so much in order to block the light? (I use my left eye, which can make this a bit uncomfortable)? Is it more comfortable? Just wondering if it would still make sense to get it even if I remove the magnifying glass (I'm assuming it's removable).

Thanks!