Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #31

I have had the k5 for 90 days and after my first shoot outdoors this past spring I noticed the same dust issues. I tried to clean with a little Zeiss lens cleaner and the cleaner got under the LCD too! I called Pentax and they said send it back up to 21 days to fix.. Does not affect the function of camera or image quality just brings up concerns about the weather sealing which is a big factor as to why I purchased this camera after selling all my Canon canon gear!

07-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #32
nah

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
I just my K-5 in the other day. If it comes back and it's not properly sealed again, it's going to be on their dime.
Just an update to this.

I got it back and noticed that they didn't get all the dust out. The repair summary said they only cleaned it, no changes to the screen.

I had to send it back again and it was on their dime. To make a long story short, this time the repair summary did say they replaced the LCD retainer and the protector screen but again they didn't get all the dust out. There was a few specks there so I'm just going to live with it as I have a kid coming and can't be without the camera anymore. The problem just better not crop up again.

If it weren't for the money I've put into the brand, I'd be jumping ship.
07-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I purchased my K-5 in February, and it was not long until I had dust all through my back LCD screen as well, it's annoying and I intend to send it in for a servicing this fall, hopefully by then I will have a K-r or K-7 or something as a second body by then.
07-03-2011, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust under the LCD screens of both of my Nikon friend's two D700s and his D3X too......he shoots a lot of zooms in dusty locations. This is about as unusual as finding ticks on a hound. You can send that hound back to the Vet a thousand times, but he will still get ticks, it is just a natural event....so is dust. $*#@ happens....so does dust. And....if you use a zoom in the pouring rain, look closely at your LCD and you can even see tiny Goldfish.......try to find something else wrong with the K5, this one does not hold water....or Goldfish.
Best Regards!

07-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Screen cover lets K-5 down

This is just a "me too" post. Last week my K-5 started sucking dust under the outer screen glass. I was already really unimpressed with the glass as it scratches very easily. The glass on my K10D and K20D never leaked or scratched.
Rupert: If I owned one of those Nikons, I'd be complaining even louder! We are buying weather-proof cameras, not leaky aquariums!
07-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #36

Me too dust under the outer screen glass, when i used it in raining day the water leak in under the outer screen glass....already the it back to pentax...
07-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #37
nah

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Dust under the LCD screens of both of my Nikon friend's two D700s and his D3X too......he shoots a lot of zooms in dusty locations. This is about as unusual as finding ticks on a hound. You can send that hound back to the Vet a thousand times, but he will still get ticks, it is just a natural event....so is dust. $*#@ happens....so does dust. And....if you use a zoom in the pouring rain, look closely at your LCD and you can even see tiny Goldfish.......try to find something else wrong with the K5, this one does not hold water....or Goldfish.
Best Regards!
I'll have to disagree, it's not normal and shouldn't be normal. I had my K20 in the same environments as my K-5 and not one single speck of dust under the LCD screen.

I sent my K-5 back 2 times and they replaced the housing that holds the plastic screen and the dust hasn't come back.

07-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #38
nah

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
This is just a "me too" post. Last week my K-5 started sucking dust under the outer screen glass. I was already really unimpressed with the glass as it scratches very easily. The glass on my K10D and K20D never leaked or scratched.
Rupert: If I owned one of those Nikons, I'd be complaining even louder! We are buying weather-proof cameras, not leaky aquariums!
I was amazed at the scratches with my screen too. I was pretty careful not to have anything near the screen and the scratches was quite prevalent. I thought they would have used Gorilla Glass, but it looks like they didn't.
07-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #39
Forum Member

never had dust problems with any of k10/20/7/5, and i do use a lot of zooms, including sigma 70-200 and bigma which both generate huge vacum.
I also some how never managed to get scratch on lcd (top or rear) which is big surprise as was sure they are not made of any kind of scratch resistant material
07-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #40

same here

I own a K-7, same problem with the dust after ~1 month of use
09-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Yes to all I bought them from Pentax! This is Jamesm007 and did not know this thread was so active.

Sorry for the .............long delay.

I see many are having dust issues. If you can its better to do it yourself. My cover has not leaked! If its done right the first time it will last a long time. Problem is, is finding a tech who cares enough I guess (from the posts) to do the job right. Which is just making sure there is no dust when you seal it back up; then seal it tight!
09-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, so much woe for nothing of consequence.
You people do realize that dust is everywhere, isn't going to hurt your precious baby and eventually is going to get inside everything you own?
09-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
Yes!

Problem is not internal air pressure of the camera but the thin tape not being put on right at the factory! One caveat, if you see a bit of dust that may have been there when the cover was put on (like in Nikons...). But if it gets worse and worse you have a leaking cover! I know mine did for a 100% fact. Just use some air pressure from a bulb blower and blow all around the cover at different angles. If you see dust move you know the cover is leaking. If you are getting more and more dust its leaking. With my K20D the bottom right corner was leaking in dust and I replaced the cover as shown above. Cameras are like Autos, mass produced. Many cars have a bug or two. Does not mean its suppose to have that bug!

The LCD (not LCD cover) is sealed around the edges with foam strips. After sealing my LCD with a new cover and double sided tape I have no dust problems that make the screen ugly to look at when its bright out; and that will under the right conditions let a lot of moisture in.

Look at the double sided tape from Pentax on the second page. Now think about how small and thin it is, and on top of that not super strong like you would think. If not done right you get problems. Just look at it and think - that's where most people are probably getting dust, that is 100% for sure in my case, and IMO in 70% or more of others case.

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-03-2011 at 11:07 AM.
09-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Wow, so much woe for nothing of consequence.
You people do realize that dust is everywhere, isn't going to hurt your precious baby and eventually is going to get inside everything you own?
Its easy to not understand the real problem! The back LCD covers are leaking! Not just normal dust, nor within factory specs (I called Pentax and they said send it in, dust should not accumulate that fast). With all due respect. But I did it my self.

Last edited by jamesm007; 09-03-2011 at 01:58 PM.
09-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
never had dust problems with any of k10/20/7/5, and i do use a lot of zooms, including sigma 70-200 and bigma which both generate huge vacum.
I also some how never managed to get scratch on lcd (top or rear) which is big surprise as was sure they are not made of any kind of scratch resistant material
This is because his rear LCD cover is sealed correct. With my K10D (GX10) I had no dust problems using the same lens for a longer period of time. I saw dust under the cover of my K20D shortly after buying it.