Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Harsh? Not if the OP gets a toy K5!

Otis has his own rules for Justice.....I never argue, it just isn't smart. Before I signed that contract agreeing to supply Squirrel feed 24/7 365, I spent over $700 for a new wiring harness on my Jeep Wrangler. Was it harsh of Otis to shred my wiring? Yes, I though it was, but I had been warned.

On the Preparation H......Otis loaded the tube with seeds from ripe Jalapenos.....I'm betting someone is still squealing. He has no need for a navy, so has no Seals......he just calls his Special Ops Team Army Squeals. I never cross Otis.

Best Regards!
doh

I remember the wrangler harness story. There must be something in the feed down there. Squirrel-nip or something. The northern midwest squirrels are pretty mellow. Of course, there are plenty of black wallnut trees around for them to dine on so that may have something to do with it. Then again, maybe Otis is just hard to get along with ..

QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
For what it is worth, I ordered my K5 yesterday from B&H with nest day UPS. That order was placed at 2PM their time. I just unwrapped it, and I am charging the battery, That overnight cost me 38 dollars. Now JR Richard whom I had talked to on Wednesday, was less than polite, and wanted 80 dollars for the same shipping. They could not answer any question about the camera. I did that to 5 other places that had that camera for less than B&H. It was worth the extra money to get it here today. I will order from B&H again. Just my 2 cents.

Oh one more thing.

I LOVE THIS CAMERA!!! IT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOL

Hope you order one soon!!!
Congrats. Anytime I've dealt with B&H it's been positive (Adorama too). I bought my original K5 from Provantage (B&H and Adorama didn't have them in stock or I probably would have gone with one of them). It isn't a camera dealer per-se but they had 4 or 5 of them at $100 less than everybody else was listing them. This was when they were first released. They called to verify the order because it was for such a large amount and it was my first time with them. They didn't try to upsell anything, switch anything, or any of that other stuff you read about places doing. They just wanted to make sure, BEFORE, charging my card, that I in fact, placed the order. I know people get annoyed by things like that but I actually appreciated it quite a bit.

My only real concern was gray market but it registered as a USA product (Provantage is not an authorized dealer of Pentax) and when the stain issue popped up on my camera, Pentax replaced it with a brand new one. So, let's wait for the final outcome of crossover's transaction. Hopefully within a week, he'll be shooting like mad with his new K5.

05-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

For what it is worth, I ordered my K5 yesterday from B&H with nest day UPS. That order was placed at 2PM their time. I just unwrapped it, and I am charging the battery, That overnight cost me 38 dollars. Now JR Richard whom I had talked to on Wednesday, was less than polite, and wanted 80 dollars for the same shipping. They could not answer any question about the camera. I did that to 5 other places that had that camera for less than B&H. It was worth the extra money to get it here today. I will order from B&H again. Just my 2 cents.

Oh one more thing.

I LOVE THIS CAMERA!!! IT SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOL

Hope you order one soon!!!
Sounds great, you will love it, no doubt! You didn't fall for that Otis deal on the box of Squirrels, did you? I saw him packing up a few dozen this morning....sort of worried me.
Best Regards & look forward to you posting some shots!
05-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I remember the wrangler harness story. There must be something in the feed down there. Squirrel-nip or something. The northern midwest squirrels are pretty mellow. Of course, there are plenty of black wallnut trees around for them to dine on so that may have something to do with it. Then again, maybe Otis is just hard to get along with ..
Texas squirrels hold their own, in any battle. They are size of a small pony, and are capable of anything. If they had sent Texas squirrels to find Osama Bin Laden, they would have found him 8 years ago!
05-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Texas squirrels hold their own, in any battle. They are size of a small pony, and are capable of anything. If they had sent Texas squirrels to find Osama Bin Laden, they would have found him 8 years ago!
.... and apparently eaten through the wires on his dialysis machine giving him a few minutes to reflect on the lie of the 72 virgins while dying an agonizing slow death.

05-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
.... and apparently eaten through the wires on his dialysis machine giving him a few minutes to reflect on the lie of the 72 virgins while dying an agonizing slow death.

Just FYI, he did not have renal failure and was not on dialysis, although he did have a history of kidney stones....
05-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #21

Original Poster
Ok so I cancelled my order. I spoke to the company but they said it would take 14-20 business days to get the camera which is almost a month. If you want 3-5 day shipping it's $40, if you want 1-2 business day shipping it's $60. The price would still be cheaper but I'd rather spend a little more and buy from a company with a great reputation.
05-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #22

ah, so it's a dropship company then?

costs slightly less money but takes twice as long to get your parts because they don't stock anything.

05-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #23
Inactive Account

crossover, I think that is a good call, as they quoted me 79 dollars for the overnight gig, Grand central photo had the same issue. In fact they were charged with several crimes based off of their, drop ship, and delays in shipping!
05-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Companies I've dealt with (for camera gear) that I'd recommend include:

B&H, Adorama, Beach Camera, Buydigital.com (same company as Beach Camera), Berger Brothers Camera, Amazon, Buy.com. There might be a couple of others, but I can't think of them right now.

For some reason, cameras really attract the scam artists. I've ordered things from catalogs and over the phone (pre-internet) and from the internet for years, and never really had a problem. It was only when I got into photography did I start running into criminals that falsely advertise, overcharge, lie and cheat. And for some other reason, a large number of them come out of Brooklyn. I'd really be interested in reading about the why's and what for's about this, but I've never seen it explained. It's just been my experience.

When buying camera gear, I stick to my own personal list of sites I trust. For pretty much anything else, I'll buy from anywhere and have rarely been disappointed.

YMMV, of course.
05-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I really did not look at other brands, but I bet the more popular the camera, or the higher in demand, the more companies like JR Richards show up. It would make for an interesting article.
05-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they had sent Texas squirrels to find Osama Bin Laden,
I thought a Texas squirrel led that search for 7+ yrs!
05-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I considered buying from this site as well. $1199 is tough to pass up.
05-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
I thought a Texas squirrel led that search for 7+ yrs!
No you are thinking of Tennessee squirrels, slightly smaller and slightly slower. In fact look out you window, I do believe Rupert and I have sent a Texas sniper squirrel to keep an eye on you

05-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #29
Inactive Account

No you are thinking of Tennessee squirrels, slightly smaller and slightly slower. In fact look out you window, I do believe Rupert and I have sent a Texas sniper squirrel to keep an eye on you
That's an 'I dare you' look if I've ever seen one.

05-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #30
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

That's a dandy Squirrel shot! He does have that serious look.....definitely an Otis Army Squirrel.
Even my young Squirrels flash those gang signs around here, I like to see them do it, but it does sort of scare me....

Don't know just what he is saying here, I speak fluent Squirrel, but Otis won't teach me the signs.
[IMG] [/IMG]

As for that raid...Otis says he had Army Squirrels on the location at the time in case any nuts needed cracking. It's all hush-hush but he did say he saw the photos, and the Bad Man died of a very severe headache.

Regards!