Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, AF on the K-5 is a big improvement over K-7. Though, SDM lenses will still lag a bit.

05-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #17

AF of k-5 is faster
05-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well it looks pretty unanimous! Thanks for all the responses guys. I am surprised though, that now I am unsure about my LENS purchase now.
05-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ok, so the K-5 is quite a bit quicker than the K10D. How is the autofocus in lower light?

I find that I always seem to miss a shot with the K10D's focus hunting around. Too many times people say "Did you get that?" and I end up missing the shot waiting for the focus to lock.

05-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

also my kx hunt and miss many shot in outdoor contrasty sunny day. It even hunt more than indoor low light situation.
06-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tricky shots like this seem much better to me with the K-5. Fast birds, lots of branches to distract the AF. Plus, subjects in and out of shade.
gnatcatcher 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Yellow rumped warbler 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
06-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #22
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
also my kx hunt and miss many shot in outdoor contrasty sunny day
This is very unusual. The K-x is quite snappy under sunny conditions. It would be worthwhile to have your camera checked by your local repairer.

06-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Yes, AF on the K-5 is a big improvement over K-7. Though, SDM lenses will still lag a bit.
My DA*200 focuses very fast compared to my K7.
06-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This is very unusual. The K-x is quite snappy under sunny conditions. It would be worthwhile to have your camera checked by your local repairer.
well, i mean those contrasty scene, for example a backlit scene, a person standing under the sunshine, so the background is very bright but the person is kind dim. it just very hard to get the accurate focus on the person or just unable to lock the focus. so in these case, i have to quickly switch the manual focus, because i do not want to let my people wait too long getting disturbed.
I hope upgrade to k5 can solve this limitation.

Last edited by liukaitc; 06-01-2011 at 03:45 PM.
06-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well, i mean those contrasty scene, for example a backlit scene, a person standing under the sunshine, so the background is very bright but the person is kind dim. it just very hard to get the accurate focus on the person or just unable to lock the focus. so in these case, i have to quickly switch the manual focus, because i do not want to let my people wait too long getting disturbed.
I hope upgrade to k5 can solve this limitation.

The K-5 seems to handle those situations better than the K-10 did, but it's still going to be a challenge sometimes, I think.
06-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #26
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it just very hard to get the accurate focus on the person or just unable to lock the focus. so in these case, i have to quickly switch the manual focus, because i do not want to let my people wait too long getting disturbed.
You're going to have to work on your expectations there. We're dealing with a contrast-based AF system and you're pointing it at a subject with next to no contrast differences to work on. Technique is better directed to seeing how contrast AF works and using that knowledge to your advantage, i.e. in such a backlit situation, focus at the edge of the subject for the camera where there is clear contrast to work with.
06-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Early on just after the K-5 was introduced there were some threads posted testing the AFC by having people running towards the camera, bike riders crossing the camera and etc, I was very impressed with the K-5 in this regard. If you do a search for K-5 and AFC you should come up with them.

NaCl(one of the main reasons I'm lusting after this body)H2O
06-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Regarding that YouTube video - there is no way to tell if the tester has AF-C set to focus or FPS priority. Based on my own experience, I'd bet it's set to FPS priority. In which case 50% of the images could be out of focus. Who knows.

I never owned a K10 but, between the K7 and K5, I think AF-S is the same with somewhat spryer and more accurate performance on the K5 for AF-C. However, I'd say the performance leap is evolutionary more than revolutionary.

If you're set to high-speed continuous and your shutter speed is fast enough (3x focal length or more) then fast moving in-focus subjects are totally doable with some practice.
06-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Regarding that YouTube video - there is no way to tell if the tester has AF-C set to focus or FPS priority. Based on my own experience, I'd bet it's set to FPS priority. In which case 50% of the images could be out of focus. Who knows.

I never owned a K10 but, between the K7 and K5, I think AF-S is the same with somewhat spryer and more accurate performance on the K5 for AF-C. However, I'd say the performance leap is evolutionary more than revolutionary.

If you're set to high-speed continuous and your shutter speed is fast enough (3x focal length or more) then fast moving in-focus subjects are totally doable with some practice.
I'm not spanish but I think the 2nd test with the K-5 is focus priority. Can anyone confirm that? Google Translate gives some vague stuff. :X
06-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The K-5 just trounces the long discontinued and obsolete K10D in it's autofocusing.
What more is there to prove?