Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't done lightning before, but I have done lots of fireworks. Maybe I am missing something, but why fuss with MLU? For fireworks I just use bulb or I set for a long exposure (10 seconds). I am waiting for a good storm (which might be tonight) to try lightning, but I was planning on using the same technique for it as I do for fireworks.

You can use the wireless trigger with B, but it is way easier to use a remote that you can lock. I got a cheap one somewhere along the lines that has a 6ft cord. I have the wireless remote too, but the corded one is just so much easier for the fireworks type of stuff.

05-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I haven't done lightning before, but I have done lots of fireworks. Maybe I am missing something, but why fuss with MLU? For fireworks I just use bulb or I set for a long exposure (10 seconds). I am waiting for a good storm (which might be tonight) to try lightning, but I was planning on using the same technique for it as I do for fireworks.

You can use the wireless trigger with B, but it is way easier to use a remote that you can lock. I got a cheap one somewhere along the lines that has a 6ft cord. I have the wireless remote too, but the corded one is just so much easier for the fireworks type of stuff.
Agreed. Just use bulb, low ISO, small aperture, press the shutter button, and HOPE.
05-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! Turn autofocus OFF

Did some testing in my basement. First had some problems: First it worked, but then it stopped?!?!?!?! Turned out I was just hitting the limit for when the focus worked, and the camera prevented shooting as it could not focus

ALL I had to do was switch to manual focus and then everything worked. The problem is I had the AF.S setting set to only fire when when in focus - that prevented the manual settings to fire. I had also set C.3.18 (Autofocus when using Remote control) to 2 -yes. That prevented it from firing when using the remote as it wasn't abe to focus. Changing those settings made thigns work even without changing to M.F.

DON"T USE AUTOFOCUS AT NIGHT!!!

Now I just have to hope for another big ligthing storm!

PS: Last year lightning hit a big willow about 150 feet from our house. I swear our hose shook! We found a 6 foot piece of wood buried about 2 feet in the gras- like a spear. The tree split, and to be taken down. Now THAT would be an image to capture
05-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Glad to see that you worked the problem out

05-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Put the camera in bulb mode. Go to custom menu 19, make sure it's on Mode1: Push remote control release button once to start exposure and a second time to end. Set drive mode to remote control.
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
And as someone who actually owns the K-5, I just tested it and yep, it works. Kind of blows the "impossible to do with the wireless remote" statement right out of the water.
My bad. It doesn't work that way with the K20D, and I assumed it was the same with newer models, since it had been that way for every Pentax SLr I've used or seen in the past.