Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Image rotation when reviewing image. Worked on K7 but not K5?

When taking a shot in portrait mode, why doesn't the image rotate to fill the whole screen like on the K7? I have auto rotation set to on.

05-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yep, its irritating, even my old 7 mpix PS does that. As someone pointed out it out, you can just turn off auto rotate and you will always see it in large portrait mode until one processes it.
05-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe a firmware fix in the future?
07-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #4

Man, I sure was hoping this was a setting that I misconfigured somewhere. Very unhappy to hear that it's something Pentax neglected to include in their latest APS-C flagship. +1 to hoping they fix this in the future.

07-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Turn on rotation and the picture is rotated, turn it off and it is not rotated. Seems to work, but I never had a K7, so what else is it supposed to do?
11-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #6

Basicly when in play back mode the camera will adjust its display as you rotate the body
and its a shame they didn't put in on the K-5 that was the first thing I noticed.
12-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #7

Hi yes I was disappointed to loose this useful feature too

12-05-2011, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

At this point might as well look forward to it being an 'added feature' in the K-3 (or whatever the next body is!). At least Pentax doesn't have a history of removing key functions in newer generations and implementing them in higher end, more expensive models (looking at you Sony, Panasonic!).
04-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, what the heck were they smoking when they left this out? I used this all the time on the K-7. I guess I'll just leave auto rotate off for now, but that makes reviewing pictures later a pain. C'mon Pentax, I doubt the K-5 will have any more firmware updates, but at least fix this on the next model. Does anyone know how it works on the K-01?
04-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Wow, what the heck were they smoking when they left this out? I used this all the time on the K-7. I guess I'll just leave auto rotate off for now, but that makes reviewing pictures later a pain. C'mon Pentax, I doubt the K-5 will have any more firmware updates, but at least fix this on the next model. Does anyone know how it works on the K-01?
Why would you turn off auto-rotate? This is un-related to rotating the image on the LCD during review. You are adding one more step in post-processing.

I agree, it would be nice if Pentax fixed this in a firmware update, but to be honest I hope they fix more important things first. Like being able to calibrate the electronic levels, for instance. Or continue to improve the AF performance.
04-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Why would you turn off auto-rotate? This is un-related to rotating the image on the LCD during review. You are adding one more step in post-processing.

I agree, it would be nice if Pentax fixed this in a firmware update, but to be honest I hope they fix more important things first. Like being able to calibrate the electronic levels, for instance. Or continue to improve the AF performance.
I didn't say I was going to turn off storing rotation information, just the auto-rotate feature in the playback menu.

I agree that level calibration and better AF calibration would be good, as both are jacked on my new K-5 and need a CRIS trip for servicing.
11-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #12

Nuts!!

I just went from a K7 to a K5IIs and it has has the same lack of rotation issue.

Thanks for the info folks; I thought I was going nuts......
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it's absence from the K5 series is really irritating. Even my Canon G11 p+s has this feature.

Maybe Canon or Nikon patented the feature and threatened Pentax, or Pentax wasn't willing to pay royalties. Who knows?

But for anyone who's used the feature in another camera, it's absence in the K5 is really obvious. It would be easy to fix (and to make it user selectable on/off ) with a firmware update. The fact that Pentax hasn't done this makes me think the feature may be patent protected by someone other than Pentax.

Last edited by Gray; 11-19-2012 at 11:26 PM.
11-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Maybe Canon or Nikon patented the feature and threatened Pentax, or Pentax wasn't willing to pay royalties. Who knows?
If it was patented then even the K-7 shouldn't have it, but the K-7 does... I agree on the others with Pentax feature-checkers probably smoking some weird leaves to forget about this little but very very useful feature.
11-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
CDW
Site Supporter

The auto rotate function works in the 645D. It really is puzzling why Pentax has not corrected this functional flaw in the K5 series.