Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #1

Got the K-5, film camera lonely

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I posted maybe about a month ago that I was going to be moving from film to digital. Then the price on the K-5 went up. I waited until it dropped a bit and placed the order. It went down some more after I ordered but you have to click that order button sometime. I've used Pentax for over 30 years and have no desire to try other brands. I find the bulk and shutter noise of the Canon cameras annoying plus I find that my sister's pictures are not beyond what the Pentax can produce and she buys high end Canon cameras and lenses. Anyway I got the K-5 and I'm sure my film camera will become very loney. I am using my Tokina 28-70 2.8 lens which works fine with the K-5, however I will need something a bit wider eventually. In what order would you rate the following lenses:
16-50 2.8 (expensive, let me know if it's worth that price tag)
18-135 3.5-5.6 (nice range, but I don't like the aperature range)
16-45 4.0 (like that it's constant, but still not a 2.8)
17-70 4.0 (same as the one above)

I have yet to install the included Pentax software, but I was wondering what people thought about it. Is it useful or do you always use something else such as photoshop? I did switch the camera to RAW, DNG.
I have a Pentax FTZ500 flash. I haven't put it on yet to see if it works because I didn't want to if it's not compatible with the K-5. Does anyone know?
I know there was a discussion about LCD protectors. It seems some people have had good luck and others it was a disaster. Is the LCD durable enough to withstand the in and out of the camera bag and so forth or is there a protector that you would recommend?
So far, with limited use so far, I find the K-5 very responsive. I read a thread ealier about menu delays and it being slow. Mine seems almost instantaneous, but we will see with more use.
When I first took the K-5 out I was almost afraid to touch it because I didn't want to do something wrong or scratch it. I know how picky computers can be and that is what this is. I'm sure I will get over the inital jitters and be slinging it over my shoulder in no time.

05-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax K-5 uses P-TTL flash only. The Pentax AF-500 FTZ is a TTL flash. You need a AF-360 FGZ or a AF-540 FGZ which are P-TTL flashes.

You could use your AF-500FTZ as an Auto flash using the flash's light sensor, or you could use it as a manual flash.

Never used an LCD protector, and after eight years the LCDs on my D and DS cameras are just fine.

Regards

Chris
05-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #3

I bought the 17-70 f4 lens a while back. I'm not happy with it. The sharpness on 70mm is really bad. I have the sigma 18-50 f2.8 on my k20. Bought the 17-70 to have a mid-range zoom for my k5 since there are many photographers in the family sharing these two bodies. Now there was a mid-range zoom availabe for both users, but there's always a fight for the sigma, since nobody is happy with the pentax lense. For filming, both should be fine though?

/Johan

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I posted maybe about a month ago that I was going to be moving from film to digital. Then the price on the K-5 went up. I waited until it dropped a bit and placed the order. It went down some more after I ordered but you have to click that order button sometime. I've used Pentax for over 30 years and have no desire to try other brands. I find the bulk and shutter noise of the Canon cameras annoying plus I find that my sister's pictures are not beyond what the Pentax can produce and she buys high end Canon cameras and lenses. Anyway I got the K-5 and I'm sure my film camera will become very loney. I am using my Tokina 28-70 2.8 lens which works fine with the K-5, however I will need something a bit wider eventually. In what order would you rate the following lenses:
16-50 2.8 (expensive, let me know if it's worth that price tag)
18-135 3.5-5.6 (nice range, but I don't like the aperature range)
16-45 4.0 (like that it's constant, but still not a 2.8)
17-70 4.0 (same as the one above)

I have yet to install the included Pentax software, but I was wondering what people thought about it. Is it useful or do you always use something else such as photoshop? I did switch the camera to RAW, DNG.
I have a Pentax FTZ500 flash. I haven't put it on yet to see if it works because I didn't want to if it's not compatible with the K-5. Does anyone know?
I know there was a discussion about LCD protectors. It seems some people have had good luck and others it was a disaster. Is the LCD durable enough to withstand the in and out of the camera bag and so forth or is there a protector that you would recommend?
So far, with limited use so far, I find the K-5 very responsive. I read a thread ealier about menu delays and it being slow. Mine seems almost instantaneous, but we will see with more use.
When I first took the K-5 out I was almost afraid to touch it because I didn't want to do something wrong or scratch it. I know how picky computers can be and that is what this is. I'm sure I will get over the inital jitters and be slinging it over my shoulder in no time.
05-15-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AF500 FTZ doesn't support P-TTL and it doesn't have a built in sensor of its own, so I believe you will be stuck using it in manual mode.

If you are happy with your 28-70 for general use you might consider getting an ultrawide to wide zoom like the Pentax 12-24, Sigma 10-20 or Tamron 10-24 to cover the wide end. In some situations it will be a bit less convenient but you will cover a much wider range with less overlap. The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 both cover a similar range to the Pentax 16-50 at a lower cost, so they may be worth looking at too.

05-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats on your new K-5!

I have the "ACMAXX 3.0 HARD LCD ARMOR PROTECTOR" on my K-5 and really like this 2 piece item.
It seems my nose smudges are easier to remove from the shield, than they were from the display itself.

Not sure of all the places it can be purchased, but here's a link to where I bought mine on eBay.
ACMAXX 3.0 HARD LCD ARMOR PROTECTOR Pentax K5 K-5 K5D D | eBay
05-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats on the move to digital and the k5 - you certainly picked a great camera to make that move with.

I just recently purchased the 16-50 2.8 and I can tell you that it is well worth the price. I was using a Tamron 28-75 2.8 and the 12-24 4 to cover that range. I love those lenses, but the IQ on the DA* line really is superior. My copy is crisp throughout the range and colors are just beautiful. If it isn't out of your budget, then go for it. You will be happy.
05-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Well, I own two of those lenses, the Pentax 16-50/2.8 and the Pentax 17-70/4. This week I finally made the jump from a K10D to the K-5 and it has been totally a joy moving up to the new body. I thought both lenses were great on the K10D, but they really comes to life on the K-5. I also used to own the Tokina 28-80/2.8 AT-X 280 AF Pro.

I have owned the 16-50/2.8 from when it first came out. The standout qualities of the 16-50mm/2.8 are SDM motor, f/2.8 aperture, and weather resistant. According to the review sites (where they photograph graph paper and brick walls, not wildlife/landscaps/people), it is not as sharp as the 16-45/4 and 17-70/4. If you need the f/2.8 aperture this one is a no brainer.

I purchased the 17-70/4 a few months back since I was planning on moving to the K-5 and wanted a stand lens for the K-5 and K10D. I looked at the difference between the 16-45/4 and the 17-70/4. The review sites list the optical quality about the same. What sold me on the 17-70/4 are the reach out to 70mm, SDM motor, and cheaper than the 16-45/4.

Looking at the Tokina 28-80/2.8, I used to have the lens and sold it to buy the next newer better item (wish I hadn't). Considering that the Pentax 16-50/2.8 is really the Tokina 16-50/2.8 (since Pentax is owned by Hoya - part of THK Products - Tokina/Hoya/Kenko), the optical quality MIGHT not be much different from the Tokina 28-80/2.8. You don't have the SDM motor in the Tokina 28-80/2.8, but I loved the MF/AF clutch.

Unless I need the f/2.8 aperture, I end up using the 17-70/4 before the 16-50/2.8. Most of the time, I actually have the 77/1.8 Limited, SMC 105/2.8 manual focus, or FA 35/2 AL on the cameras.

05-28-2011, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I use Photoshop CS5 (been using Photoshop for more than 10 years now) and find their raw converter works best for me. Also use Bibble Pro a lot but I find myself constantly going back to CS5 because of ease of use and quality results.
I know Photoshop is not cheap but in my book worth every penny. There are also plenty of add-ons for Photoshop (some are free) and they will amaze you.

As to the screen protector; I simply state, in my opinion you should not be without one. Firstly, they are cheap, secondly they do not diminish the viewing quality (and if they do it could only be quantified with an "atomic absorption somethingorother ", and thirdly they indeed protect the LCD screen. I use the stick on film like this one here: 2x LCD Screen Protector for Pentax K-r Cameras NEW | eBay

However in my opinion, do not, repeat do not install any of those glass ones! They are pretty tough BUT a decent knock will break them. I have seen it! If the broken glass has not damaged the LCD than removing the broken protector will very much likely damage the LCD of your cam. I have seen this!!!

I also find my nose marks wipe off much easier with those stick on film protectors.

When people say: "Used my cam for years without them and nothing damaged"
they fail to recognize that for a few Dollars these screens do no harm but represent an excellent insurance.

For the first time in over 6 years I actually have discovered two pretty bad marks on my screen protector which I reckon would have damaged the screen of my PENTAX K5. If you ask me how they got there, I have no explanation because I look after my gear really well.

So my recommendation: Install one they are cheap and you have nothing to loose.

Greetings
05-28-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I also find my nose marks wipe off much easier with those stick on film protectors.
+1

05-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
As to the screen protector; I simply state, in my opinion you should not be without one. Firstly, they are cheap, secondly they do not diminish the viewing quality (and if they do it could only be quantified with an "atomic absorption somethingorother ", and thirdly they indeed protect the LCD screen. I use the stick on film like this one here: 2x LCD Screen Protector for Pentax K-r Cameras NEW | eBay

I went to the link and it says it is for the K-r. Are the screens the exact same size (K-r and K-5)? It also doesn't say a brand. Do you know what the brand it is? I have Zagg brand shields on my cell phones that work well. I emailed them to see if they have shields for the K-5 but I haven't received a reply yet. The glass ones seem like they would provide a really clear view but I also have reservations because of the possibility of cracking or breaking.

I haven't decided on a software program yet. I've been reading how to use the Pentax software (online info), but it seems confusing. I will have to work with the program to see.
05-29-2011, 03:07 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I went to the link and it says it is for the K-r. Are the screens the exact same size (K-r and K-5)? It also doesn't say a brand. Do you know what the brand it is? I have Zagg brand shields on my cell phones that work well. I emailed them to see if they have shields for the K-5 but I haven't received a reply yet. The glass ones seem like they would provide a really clear view but I also have reservations because of the possibility of cracking or breaking.

I haven't decided on a software program yet. I've been reading how to use the Pentax software (online info), but it seems confusing. I will have to work with the program to see.
Hi
The camera brand does not matter, what does matters is the dimensions and 66x51mm is the correct size for the K5 screen. I have the very same protector attached to my cam and I can only tell you it is crystal clear. Most, if not all of these foils, are made in Japan, supplied in rolls to dealers who stencil out various sizes. Some package them with their own brand name.

Greetings
05-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
However in my opinion, do not, repeat do not install any of those glass ones! They are pretty tough BUT a decent knock will break them. I have seen it! If the broken glass has not damaged the LCD than removing the broken protector will very much likely damage the LCD of your cam. I have seen this!!!
Is this the also the general consensus opinion on glass screen protectors? i've got a plastic one on my cam, but have been looking at the glass ones, mainly because i don't see the K-7 screen too well outdoors.
05-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
Inactive Account

16-50 had SDM issues and it's not superior to 16-45 except the f/2.8, so never considered to buy one, I tried 17-70 for a month and immediately returned to 16-45 and very happy with it. 17-70 is utterly inferior to 16-45, it's range was lot more useful.. 18-135 is not up to 16-50 neither 16-45 on the lab tests.
So my pick is 16-45, also what you gain with f/4 is it's lightweight. My lens line up follows as FA 35-80 (phenomenal lens) and FA 100-300 very very good lens.

My only lens gap is Voigtlander 125mm macro, I am using Tamron 1/2x 70-300 LD Di macro right now, and I am not very happy with it, considering to sell.

If you like all around lens DA 18-250 is very good lens my wife uses it like using a ZLR camera, but that is bit softer than my lenses at especially at the zoom side but not much..
05-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by conradj Quote
...but have been looking at the glass ones, mainly because i don't see the K-7 screen too well outdoors.
I have yet to see a camera screen that performs well under bright daylight. This is a common problem with all cameras and neither a glass or plastic protector will make it better or worse from what I have experienced.

Greetings
05-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #15
Forum Member

There isn't a Pentax zoom that is as appealing to me as the limited primes with DA* 50-135 being the exception. But I heard good things about 16-45 for its price.

I heard the LCD can withstand quite a bit. But in case I need to resell the camera, I want it to be as flawless as possible. So I'm using the ACMAXX LCD protectors. pretty cheap, fits perfectly.

K-5 is no slouch. But it is slower compared to D7000 when browsing photos, zooming in and out, deleting photos.

K-5 is built like a tank. Don't be afraid to take it out. There are videos of people who intentionally pour water on the K-5 or put it in the shower to prove its build quality. I wouldn't ever do that intentionally.. but you get the point.