Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #1

been a while...got my K-5 back

and been messing with it. so far so good. i'd say the flash metering is a lot more even. i think the focus issues are better, once i dial in the adjustments for my old lenses--before, focus was variable, even when the camera said focus lock was achieved....now when focus lock is achieved, i'm pretty sure i have a good in focus picture. so just messing tonight, i took a pic of my schnauzer mix Cookie. she's all tired from a long trip today. mounted a kenko 2x teleconvertor to my tokina at-x 80-200mm f/2.8 and focused in at the far tele end. i guess that makes this a 600mm focal length shot? used my FGZ-540. turned shake reduction off--had everything on top of a beefy manfrotto tripod. 600mm EFL, 1/180 @ f/16 @ ISO 800. did some auto-color/contrast/levels in photoshop + a smidge of unsharp mask. had to manually focus this. i say it's pretty good for me

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #2

Original Poster
here's another...

my cousin's daughter. bounced the FGZ 540 off the ceiling for this. room was also lit with bright sun. used my tokina at-x 28-70mm f/2.8. the lens is soft wide open, so i stopped it down a bit to f/6.7
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
was going to upload one more pic...but i've exceeded my attachment limit! i guess i better donate all in all, the K-5 is magnificent. oh if i didn't say it before, i got my K-5 back.....after my original one bought in december was afflicted with the sensor stain. got a replacement. haven't yet tested to see if this one is stained? but to be honest....i haven't even thought about testing that until now
05-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And you shouldn't worry about it for now.
Just go out there and enjoy shooting with it.
Good to hear a positive report after servicing.

05-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
to be honest...i shot over 9,000 pics before sending back in my old K-5. it's true, the stain wasn't that big a deal. in the case that it was? it was a sky shot. and guess what? a little healing brush in photoshop took care of that in a hot second. my bigger issues was the flash exposure and focusing issues. of course now i'm not so sure if those issues are real or imagined. all i know is, my K-5 is back, i'm taking pics...and i'm happy
05-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm waiting for my third K-5. Hope it's a good one without any of the issues I've experienced so far! The most annoying one being the erratic low light focus that made my camera barely usable indoors.
05-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
philippe...it's disconcerting that there are folks that are waiting on their 3rd and 4th bodies...boggles the mind really. i do wish u the best of luck. i've been pretty happy with this one.....wish i didn't have to do the AF adjustment, but once it's done, focus has been pretty spot on

05-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thank you Raphael! The new k-5 is at the shop, I'll pick it up tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
05-18-2011, 01:30 AM   #9

Original Poster
good luck! hope it works out well for you let us know how it turns out.
05-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Annnnnd it's… a dud. Still low light focus issues (big FF below EV 4), electronic level way off… Calling Pentax again tomorrow!
05-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
oh no :'( do you have the latest firmware? also try resetting the AF adjustments? i don't know for sure if i am afflicted with the low light AF curse.....and only because i'm using my tokina zooms bought in the mid 1990's, and so i blame AF accuracy on my old lenses--it might not be the case, i just don't know.....now if i had a limited or DA* lens to test with well good luck with exchanging the camera again....